Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Phil

Those nice tories

Do enlighten us. 

I'd be interested as well.  Regardless of the "full story" that's been hidden somewhere I can't find, the end result is 2/3 of the state-funded Sure Start centres in Essex that follow an internationally successful model, even the US fund them, will be shut by the summer.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

I'd be interested as well.  Regardless of the "full story" that's been hidden somewhere I can't find, the end result is 2/3 of the state-funded Sure Start centres in Essex that follow an internationally successful model, even the US fund them, will be shut by the summer.

As I understand it, there will still be the same amount of places for children only they are being consolidated into a smaller number of buildings to save money on things like maintenance, rates and insurance. A borough like Brentwood, for example, which currently has 3 centres will have 1 in future but the remaining 1 will be expanded to accommodate everyone. Additionally, the new consolidated centres will also be open at weekends and evenings which the current ones aren't. So yes it's true that there will be less actual centres, but it's not true to suggest that this means the number of places is being cut and no child will lose out as a result of the changes.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

As I understand it, there will still be the same amount of places for children only they are being consolidated into a smaller number of buildings to save money on things like maintenance, rates and insurance. A borough like Brentwood, for example, which currently has 3 centres will have 1 in future but the remaining 1 will be expanded to accommodate everyone. Additionally, the new consolidated centres will also be open at weekends and evenings which the current ones aren't. So yes it's true that there will be less actual centres, but it's not true to suggest that this means the number of places is being cut and no child will lose out as a result of the changes.

Not quite right though, the new places will be substantially out of the way from the majority of people who could attend.  The evidence of Sure Start style schemes internationally is that small locality based centres work while large industrialised child farms don't.  The larger the places go, the less individualised they are, the more bureaucratic they are and the less value they provide.  Plus, the council's view is that you get your own way there, great fun for parents in the morning and at their own cost.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Perhaps but of course the new increased free childcare allowance for pre-school children will enable parents to opt for private nurseries if they wish.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Perhaps but of course the new increased free childcare allowance for pre-school children will enable parents to opt for private nurseries if they wish.

There of course is the answer. The Tories have been advocates for educational vouchers since I can remember.  It's a way of them getting to use private provision and get something towards it from the state thus getting their pound of flesh from their tax contribution. Which subverts the redistributive effect of taxation.  They make me sick.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

More revelations on C4 regarding undeclared expenses at elections.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

http://www.channel4.com/news/tory-election-expenses-new-claims-from-party-activists

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The silence from the other parties leads me to think that whilst the Tories have likely been worse than others that nobody is squeaky clean.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Number of people sleeping rough in England rises by almost a third in a year

The number of people sleeping rough in England on any one night has doubled since 2010 and increased by 30% in the last year, with an estimated 3,569 people now sleeping on the streets across England, according to new government figures.

To me things like this are the real measure of whether a government is a success or not. This one is clearly failing.

Edited by Griff9of13

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Number of people sleeping rough in England rises by almost a third in a year

The number of people sleeping rough in England on any one night has doubled since 2010 and increased by 30% in the last year, with an estimated 3,569 people now sleeping on the streets across England, according to new government figures.

To me things like this are the real measure of whether a government is a success or not. This one is clearly failing.

We're doing some work with a homeless shelter and they're overwhelmed most nights.  Friday night is usually the worst as prisons tend to release people on Friday afternoons and more and more councils are treating them as "voluntarily homeless" meaning they're not a priority and can be left until Monday, if at all.  Even people released from mental health institutions get "office closed" if they're released on Friday afternoons.  Councils just can't afford to run out-of-hours emergency homing services any more and hope the charity sector can fill the gap.

Democracy is overrated; nilled in a commons vote, we'll plough on with the legislation anyway: http://www.thecanary.co/2016/02/25/uks-youngest-mp-just-demolished-tories-scathing-attack-yet-video/

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Probably as good a place as any to put this.  A food bank local to us in Suffolk has reported an increase of 45% in January 2016 compared to Jan 2015 of referrals for food from Job Centres and DWP.  So far in February, they're up 75% on a similar point in 2015.  These aren't people self-referring, they're people that the DWP and Job Centres see as having not enough money to feed themselves.

Austerity seems to be working then at one level of society.

More cuts on the way as growth has failed to meet government predictions.

Gideon appears to be the last person left in the country who believes that cutting investment leads to a stronger economy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Nonsense, we are the 5th biggest economy in the world.

Oops sorry that replies for the EU thread. The reply for this thread is about how poor we are and how austerity is the only answer.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Democracy is overrated; nilled in a commons vote, we'll plough on with the legislation anyway: http://www.thecanary.co/2016/02/25/uks-youngest-mp-just-demolished-tories-scathing-attack-yet-video/

The problem with being the third party, plus a very regional party, is that the SNP get ignored by the mainstream media except when they're a convenient scapegoat for their editorial policy.

I watched the second debate and it was absolutely nailed on discriminatory conduct by the government, there was one government front-bencher there but only because they had to be and no notice was paid at all to it.  Not a single speaker in the debate, including a few Tories, said anything positive about the government's actions and most called for interim measures to protect the seriously disadvantaged women from the changes.

The will of the House is clear, the government couldn't care though.

Probably as good a place as any to put this.  A food bank local to us in Suffolk has reported an increase of 45% in January 2016 compared to Jan 2015 of referrals for food from Job Centres and DWP.  So far in February, they're up 75% on a similar point in 2015.  These aren't people self-referring, they're people that the DWP and Job Centres see as having not enough money to feed themselves.

Austerity seems to be working then at one level of society.

Has Universal Credit been rolled out in Suffolk recently?  I ask only because that might be the underlying cause of an increase in referrals.  The principle of UC is a good one: you are a claimant for six months whether or not you are in work and the amount of UC you receive is in tandem with the amount of money you earn, so it acts like working tax credits but in a more flexible way.  However, the downside is that claimants only receive their benefits calendar monthly, and the date they receive them remains the same throughout the six month period and irrespective of when they lose their job/their job finishes.  I'm dreading my current employment coming to an end - it is a temporary job and so it will end - because if the timing isn't right I could find myself trying to live off one week's pay for a month.  Of course that is impossible and so unless I can save up enough money to carry me over - and that is touch and go although I am putting money aside as I go along - I could end up being referred as I will run out of money before the UC comes in if my job ends too soon in my particular calendar month.

However, the situation in Suffolk may not be as a result of the UC rollout at all!  It may just be that the system of referrals is being formalised in much the same way as, say, referrals to the Citizens Advice Bureau are formalised for financial and basic legal assistance free of charge.

More cuts on the way as growth has failed to meet government predictions.

According to reports this week, that is projected and not yet confirmed.  Also, the cuts will be in the form of efficiencies within government departments and not cuts to services.

According to reports this week, that is projected and not yet confirmed.  Also, the cuts will be in the form of efficiencies within government departments and not cuts to services.

Osborne has said to expect cuts and given that it's his budget I'm prepared to assume he has some foreknowledge of what's coming.

We've exhausted all efficiency savings at every level of government from parish council up.  We're now at the deciding which services are expendable and which aren't stage.

Osborne has said to expect cuts and given that it's his budget I'm prepared to assume he has some foreknowledge of what's coming.

We've exhausted all efficiency savings at every level of government from parish council up.  We're now at the deciding which services are expendable and which aren't stage.

If Osborne really expects to be making yet more cuts in services, I wonder if that'll come with yet more ta cuts for his mates.  Interesting that the public seem to have bought the spin that "efficiencies" aren't cuts.

The public seem to be quickly seeing through the lies and spin from this set of #### bags. Without the biased media, including the BBC the Torys would be knackered.

i could sell you London Bridge.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Have we covered that the £140m government investment for 'sink estates' is actually a series of as-yet-unspecified-conditions loans to private companies?

If Osborne really expects to be making yet more cuts in services, I wonder if that'll come with yet more ta cuts for his mates.  Interesting that the public seem to have bought the spin that "efficiencies" aren't cuts.

The report I read in the Gruniad quoted him as saying any cuts would not be deep and they would be efficiency services in government departments.  Given the context of the quote I took that to mean at Whitehall and not to services.