Sign in to follow this  
Number 16

Morocco - any update on development?

I think that we all know that those who've attempted to establish RL in Morocco have come up against union's Dirty Tricks Department, from the other code back in the nineties trying to claim that the invite to RL's World 7s was for them, through to a couple of years ago with all the shenangans surrounding the Student Pioneers tour. But looking at a couple of Facebook sites of Moroccan RL 'clubs' there remains an interest in our sport out there, despite the worst endeavours of the rugby union and their friends in the nation's establishment.

Should RL forget about Morocco or should it be doing more to overturn the obstacles and finally establish the sport in the kingdom.

I pose the question because I believe that they'd be a great asset for the growing RL scene across Europe. Firstly, and I know that this is not to the liking of everyone, they have a ready made national team playing in the French competitions, including some at Elite 1 clubs. The Moroccan national team has not played since 2009, but it strikes me that it wouldn't be too difficult to re-establish it.

Involve the Moroccan team in the European Championships over the coming two or three years; they'd be more than competitive and in with a good shout of lifting some silverware. We're probably only three years away from the 2021 WC Qualifers, and surely a realistic target has to be to ensure that Morocco are included.

Maybe if the Moroccan authorities see a national team bringing some success to their country, it could help remove some of those barriers and ease the way to domestic development.

I think that we all know that those who've attempted to establish RL in Morocco have come up against union's Dirty Tricks Department, from the other code back in the nineties trying to claim that the invite to RL's World 7s was for them, through to a couple of years ago with all the shenangans surrounding the Student Pioneers tour. But looking at a couple of Facebook sites of Moroccan RL 'clubs' there remains an interest in our sport out there, despite the worst endeavours of the rugby union and their friends in the nation's establishment.

Should RL forget about Morocco or should it be doing more to overturn the obstacles and finally establish the sport in the kingdom.

I pose the question because I believe that they'd be a great asset for the growing RL scene across Europe. Firstly, and I know that this is not to the liking of everyone, they have a ready made national team playing in the French competitions, including some at Elite 1 clubs. The Moroccan national team has not played since 2009, but it strikes me that it wouldn't be too difficult to re-establish it.

Involve the Moroccan team in the European Championships over the coming two or three years; they'd be more than competitive and in with a good shout of lifting some silverware. We're probably only three years away from the 2021 WC Qualifers, and surely a realistic target has to be to ensure that Morocco are included.

Maybe if the Moroccan authorities see a national team bringing some success to their country, it could help remove some of those barriers and ease the way to domestic development.

very intresting point. I think that there could be possible to create a marroco national team with local players and some french heritage players. never thought about that but i like the idea. Can I contact you to know more about the RL history and background in Marroco?? if there was a team i should find some archives pictures...

They played in

very intresting point. I think that there could be possible to create a marroco national team with local players and some french heritage players. never thought about that but i like the idea. Can I contact you to know more about the RL history and background in Marroco?? if there was a team i should find some archives pictures...

They played a few years ago as a totally French-based team.  They were actually a pretty good side.  they played Italy at Lyon Villeurbane's ground, and gave them a thumping. 

They played in

They played a few years ago as a totally French-based team.  They were actually a pretty good side.  they played Italy at Lyon Villeurbane's ground, and gave them a thumping. 

Nice! really cool. I will make some research.

PS: the game was played at Vuillermet Stadium, the former Lyon XV stadium, which being not that great is still miles better that the Lyon-Villeurbanne XIII dump.

Edited by Gambass

PS: the game was played at Vuillermet Stadium, the former Lyon XV stadium, which being not that great is still miles better that the Lyon-Villeurbanne XIII dump.

My apologies.

keep getting the odd facebook updates from the 'official' Maroc rugby league site. Unfortunately its rugby UNION updates. I left a messge asking what the hell was going on and got a reply that they are now rugby union!

Seems they have stolen the name https://www.facebook.com/maroc.rugbyleague/?fref=ts

Anyone with facebook can see it's all union now with some stuff on players of Moroccan decent in French RL. Bastards!

I think the best way to go atm would be like what ousted governments do and have a set up in a protected country other than its origin. A sort of exiled government. They could have set it up in France, played internationals under the Moroccan name and even formed an expat club or two in the French league divisions. Give the Maroc RU the finger from France! 

Edited by Heritage XIII

That would be a great idea to have an heritage team for marroco with players from other countries (france, uk belgium...). it could give something 

Seems they have stolen the name https://www.facebook.com/maroc.rugbyleague/?fref=ts

Anyone with facebook can see it's all union now with some stuff on players of Moroccan decent in French RL. Bastards!

I think the best way to go atm would be like what ousted governments do and have a set up in a protected country other than its origin. A sort of exiled government. They could have set it up in France, played internationals under the Moroccan name and even formed an expat club or two in the French league divisions. Give the Maroc RU the finger from France! 

I think that is kind of what they were doing.  A lot of people on here were critical of the 'Morocco' team when it got going (playing out of France) but in many ways that can be a strength of RL - incubating national teams in 'host' countries - a bit like the Lebanon, Philippines, Malta teams starting out in Australia etc.

Union actually did it too - an Armenian national team played out of France a few years ago - the players were all French and actually refused to go to Armenia to play.  The union International Board eventually kicked them out.  Rugby League can be a bit more flexible (due to fewer playing nations) and COULD actually manage teams like a French-based Morocco side, without upsetting the international rankings too much  If done only for a temporary period - such a strategy could help the international development of the sport.

I think that is kind of what they were doing.  A lot of people on here were critical of the 'Morocco' team when it got going (playing out of France) but in many ways that can be a strength of RL - incubating national teams in 'host' countries - a bit like the Lebanon, Philippines, Malta teams starting out in Australia etc.

Union actually did it too - an Armenian national team played out of France a few years ago - the players were all French and actually refused to go to Armenia to play.  The union International Board eventually kicked them out.  Rugby League can be a bit more flexible (due to fewer playing nations) and COULD actually manage teams like a French-based Morocco side, without upsetting the international rankings too much  If done only for a temporary period - such a strategy could help the international development of the sport.

That's what I was suggesting when I opened this thread. I reckon it would be a positive step towards establishing the game in the country itself.

Interesting you mention Armenian rugby being suspended as I was having a conversation with someone about how RL should attempt to step in there.

That's what I was suggesting when I opened this thread. I reckon it would be a positive step towards establishing the game in the country itself.

fully agree. still a good idea. 

That would be a great idea to have an heritage team for marroco with players from other countries (france, uk belgium...). it could give something 

I'm working on it! I have 3 Anglo-Morrocan sons. However, the two oldest (13 and 10) are not the slightest bit interested in any sport and our youngest has only just turned 6! Incidentally, my Moroccan partner's family span 7 adopted nationalities at last count.

I'm working on it! I have 3 Anglo-Morrocan sons. However, the two oldest (13 and 10) are not the slightest bit interested in any sport and our youngest has only just turned 6! Incidentally, my Moroccan partner's family span 7 adopted nationalities at last count.

good job!! haha