Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

Toronto in the Championship next year

Extreme cases like that are rare....did all airlines not give refunds ..so it wouldnt cost clubs ..and if they have cancelation insurance then everything is covered...Just do it again when the flights are up and running.

Yes will cause a bit of upheavel but nothing that could not be overcome.

You talk as if these league 1 clubs are full time pro clubs like MUFC with loads of backroom staff to organise the trip. They are part time clubs with no knowledge  of travelling to other continents for sporting fixtures.

It's not easy to organise these trips when you're a mega rich football team. It will be very challenging for League 1 clubs to say the least.

Another question? if a player gets seriously injured and has to spend a long time in a Canadian hospital. Who will pay for his family to visit him? And will his family's employer let them take the time off work. Another valid question I would ask if I were a League 1 player.

Teams using plane travel to get to matches is hardly a novel concept, it happens for virtually all major sports leagues in the entire world, including RL. If there was some sort of catastrophe that caused planes to be grounded then I imagine they would be refunded for their tickets and mildly inconvenienced, just as anyone else would be.

The point is that you're asking these questions on a public forum where nobody has any answers and assuming/inferring the worst from that, when the fact is that the RFL are paid to do this job, the Canadians are talking about investing millions of dollars in this enterprise and clearly all parties involved have thought it through and discussed it a hell of a lot more than some completely uninformed guys on the internet. It's quite clear that you desperately don't want this to happen for whatever reason, but coming up with various doomsday scenarios and asking us what they would do in that case is just totally inane. They obviously have what they perceive to be a workable plan or they wouldn't even be entertaining the idea.

You talk as if these league 1 clubs are full time pro clubs like MUFC with loads of backroom staff to organise the trip. They are part time clubs with no knowledge  of travelling to other continents for sporting fixtures.

It's not easy to organise these trips when you're a mega rich football team. It will be very challenging for League 1 clubs to say the least.

Another question? if a player gets seriously injured and has to spend a long time in a Canadian hospital. Who will pay for his family to visit him? And will his family's employer let them take the time off work. Another valid question I would ask if I were a League 1 player.

But this is a forum, that's what people do on a forum. Discuss these matters.

But this is a forum, that's what people do on a forum. Discuss these matters.

Discuss the matters in a pragmatic and logical way, which you are not doing. You're pointing out to us what you think are flaws in the plan without knowing anything about it, and without considering the fact that the things you're mentioning have almost certainly already been addressed by the people who actually matter.

They won't be organising the trips, the Canadians will do that.

If someone is injured, all that will be covered by insurance, including repatriation. And if an employer is unwilling to allow someone time off work because their spouse has a serious injury (I assume you mean life threatening as the player is still in Canada and hasn't been flown home), then it's a pretty ****** employer

Discuss the matters in a pragmatic and logical way, which you are not doing. You're pointing out to us what you think are flaws in the plan without knowing anything about it, and without considering the fact that the things you're mentioning have almost certainly already been addressed by the people who actually matter.

I think asking these questions is being pragmatic. Just accepting that it's as straightforward as going from A to B and back to A again is very naïve.

I have a relative who helped organise these trips for MUFC in the 1980s until the early 2000s  And he tells me it was a nightmare. They had a group of highly paid lawyers going through all the paperwork because there are so many unknowns when taking on these trips. Obviously League 1 clubs can't compare to the logistics of a Premier League club like MUFC. But they will have their unique problems.

They won't be organising the trips, the Canadians will do that.

If someone is injured, all that will be covered by insurance, including repatriation. And if an employer is unwilling to allow someone time off work because their spouse has a serious injury (I assume you mean life threatening as the player is still in Canada and hasn't been flown home), then it's a pretty ****** employer

But the League 1 club will need to scrutinise the travel plans. They have a duty of care. they will need a lawyer to check the insurance and all the rest of it.

It would be a dereliction of their duty to their players, if they were to leave all of this to the Canadian business men.

As a current league one fan, looking forward to the potential seeing my club play in Toronto. Never once in my lifetime thought that it would be possible.

If the whole things falls over after the year, I will at least be one of the few fans who can say they were there.

If they are a success & thrash my club with a team of Full Time pro's I am not going to be bitter about, it could be the start of something special for the whole of RL.

When this was first mooted a year or so ago, it was being put forward to the League 1 clubs to see if they were happy with it. As they are happy (I assume they are if it's progressed to this stage) then who are we to say that they can't cope with the logistics of it?

When this was first mooted a year or so ago, it was being put forward to the League 1 clubs to see if they were happy with it. As they are happy (I assume they are if it's progressed to this stage) then who are we to say that they can't cope with the logistics of it?

Who are we? the supporters......... not nodding dogs.

I'm just asking these hypothetical questions because I can see problems that could bankrupt a League1 club.

Who are we? the supporters......... not nodding dogs.

I'm just asking these hypothetical questions because I can see problems that could bankrupt a League1 club.

If the League One clubs think it's ok, then so the hell are the supporters to say otherwise? Do we know better than them or something?

And I think you're incredibly naive I you think the questions your asking haven't been discussed in fine depth over the last year.

You're now going for the "scatter gun" approach to arguing - shooting out any old reason and hoping one eventually hits. Do you not think that the fact the rest have missed means if you eventually hit then it will be easily resolved?

I think asking these questions is being pragmatic. Just accepting that it's as straightforward as going from A to B and back to A again is very naïve.

I have a relative who helped organise these trips for MUFC in the 1980s until the early 2000s  And he tells me it was a nightmare. They had a group of highly paid lawyers going through all the paperwork because there are so many unknowns when taking on these trips. Obviously League 1 clubs can't compare to the logistics of a Premier League club like MUFC. But they will have their unique problems.

Ha ha Cananda should be a doddle to anyone with just a little knowledge.Try organising flights, accomodation, visa's etc to Georgia or Serbia ten years ago for amatuers.

I am sure the Canadians will make sure everything runs smooth.

Once its up and running same flights hotels training accomodation..it will soon become routine .

Anyway the doubts about insurance etc already seem to be in place for when SL clubs go to France and Catalans come to the UK.

Canada is not like going to say Iraq or Syria it will be little different than hoping over the channel for a game.

Edited by yanto

Ha ha Cananda should be a doddle to anyone with just a little knowledge.Try organising flights, accomodation, visa's etc to Georgia or Serbia ten years ago for amatuers.

I am sure the Canadians will make sure everything runs smooth.

Once its up and running same flights hotels training accomodation..it will soon become routine .

I wouldn't even bother with this thread if it were full time Super League clubs, with full time staff and players. 

But it is clubs form the barely semi pro league1. It's far to ambitious for this league.

I don't think that MancRL can be blamed for posing the questions.  He/She is right to do so (this is a forum after all), however what I think is wrong is to think that these questions can not be, and have not already been, answered.  I would expect that by this point all interested parties would have been asking similar, and probably even more specific questions of the Canadians, RFL, insurers etc.  I know that fans give the RFL some stick but they are a professional governing body and you would have to expect them to be thorough with a bid like this and any issues that would arise.

MancRL, I think maybe the problem is, as someone suggested, that you seem to have a bit of a scatter gun approach to these problems.  This does suggest a determination to discredit the idea.  Maybe a more methodical approach, and possibly discounting some of the far fetched questions such as planes grounded due to SARS, may help not get people's backs up and might get some sensible potential solutions to your sensible questions?

I don't think that MancRL can be blamed for posing the questions.  He/She is right to do so (this is a forum after all), however what I think is wrong is to think that these questions can not be, and have not already been, answered.  I would expect that by this point all interested parties would have been asking similar, and probably even more specific questions of the Canadians, RFL, insurers etc.  I know that fans give the RFL some stick but they are a professional governing body and you would have to expect them to be thorough with a bid like this and any issues that would arise.

MancRL, I think maybe the problem is, as someone suggested, that you seem to have a bit of a scatter gun approach to these problems.  This does suggest a determination to discredit the idea.  Maybe a more methodical approach, and possibly discounting some of the far fetched questions such as planes grounded due to SARS, may help not get people's backs up and might get some sensible potential solutions to your sensible questions?

A Virgin Atlantic flight was turned around this morning over Ireland and returned to London because of a laser being pointed at the pilot. These far fetched things do happen. True, I am suggesting some scenarios  that are rare.

But my point is, what happens? ....do they replay the games at a later date. Because I know some think it's just a case of hopping on a plane. But for a semi pro club and its players, they have a small window of opportunity for these games to take place due to their work and family commitments.

A Virgin Atlantic flight was turned around this morning over Ireland and returned to London because of a laser being pointed at the pilot. These far fetched things do happen. True, I am suggesting some scenarios  that are rare.

But my point is, what happens? ....do they replay the games at a later date. Because I know some think it's just a case of hopping on a plane. But for a semi pro club and its players, they have a small window of opportunity for these games to take place due to their work and family commitments.

I suspect that the teams would arrive at least a couple of days prior to the match so would be able to get the next flight over.  I'm sure that this situation arises in other areas of life, multi-national company meetings, conferences, even other sporting events.  Yes it is a consideration, but it surely is not insurmountable?

Well, this thread is only about RL developpment. 

It is not what will make the SuperLeague and the overall RL in England more exciting. It is not what will help the RL level's developpment in England. It is not something necessarily meant to be positive in the long run (neither the Catalans dragons, neither Toulouse). 

It is about Development. RL is a very regional sport. In Europe, there is 1,5 true root: the north of england (=1) and the south west of france (=0,5 - we are hardly surviving) // This is the truth about our sport. 

Now let s compare to RU. RU situation was not that much better 10 to 20 years ago. but they started a development phase. Now RU is plaid everywhere, and almost a professional sport in the USA, so if it works, it might expands in Canada.. NOW: Do you think that the RU, which took 10 to 20 years to create a professional sport there, will tolerate the RL in these area? The potential of these two countries are undeniable for us, but we all know what policy is applied by RU where they have the lead on the RL (it means everywhere except Australia). they will prevent the local RL federations to expand.

So this thread is only a Development issue. International competition works for Canada: 7000 canadians came to see the USA vs CANADA match last time that they plaid in Toronto. If tomorrow, england RL team comes in France to play vs the french, we will hardly have the half of it. Canadians seem to like RL, it really worth to allow them a shot in the League One if it is financialy sustainable for every body! it will give them an international cover that the RU will not be able to hide. And i really do not think it will prevent english sides to develop. This argument can be applied on the catalan dragons in SL, but not really in League One. 

England has to play this role, we need an entertaining international competition as soon as possible. for that, developping the sport locally is a need. for that, allowing a canadian side in league One can really help. 

Strewth give mw strength, the Canadians are paying for the lot via the rfl. The same as the toulose trip 25 spaces. From what I here hemel Stags have booked up no hassel at all, even got supporters going. It will be the same hotel for all teams. Same time flights for all teams from there nearest airport. MancRL take a chill pill,if a small club like Hemel can sort it out so can every one, it will be the same going to Canada

A very successful ex GB and Super League coach will be head coach of this team too.

A lot of the comments on here are not far off the mark in terms of they anticipate playing in blocks, and also paying for the travel for teams travelling.

wouldn't even bother with this thread if it were full time Super League clubs, with full time staff and players. 

But it is clubs form the barely semi pro league1. It's far to ambitious for this league.

Apart from the fact that all the logistics will be taken care of by the RFL/Canadians (as they are for Catalans matches and will be for Toulouse this season), do you think the people running the League 1 clubs are idiots? Amateur clubs are capable of organising overseas trips and tours, and doing so without having someone offering to pay for all the expenses.

Well, this thread is only about RL developpment. 

It is not what will make the SuperLeague and the overall RL in England more exciting. It is not what will help the RL level's developpment in England. It is not something necessarily meant to be positive in the long run (neither the Catalans dragons, neither Toulouse). 

It is about Development. RL is a very regional sport. In Europe, there is 1,5 true root: the north of england (=1) and the south west of france (=0,5 - we are hardly surviving) // This is the truth about our sport. 

Now let s compare to RU. RU situation was not that much better 10 to 20 years ago. but they started a development phase. Now RU is plaid everywhere, and almost a professional sport in the USA, so if it works, it might expands in Canada.. NOW: Do you think that the RU, which took 10 to 20 years to create a professional sport there, will tolerate the RL in these area? The potential of these two countries are undeniable for us, but we all know what policy is applied by RU where they have the lead on the RL (it means everywhere except Australia). they will prevent the local RL federations to expand.

So this thread is only a Development issue. International competition works for Canada: 7000 canadians came to see the USA vs CANADA match last time that they plaid in Toronto. If tomorrow, england RL team comes in France to play vs the french, we will hardly have the half of it. Canadians seem to like RL, it really worth to allow them a shot in the League One if it is financialy sustainable for every body! it will give them an international cover that the RU will not be able to hide. And i really do not think it will prevent english sides to develop. This argument can be applied on the catalan dragons in SL, but not really in League One. 

England has to play this role, we need an entertaining international competition as soon as possible. for that, developping the sport locally is a need. for that, allowing a canadian side in league One can really help. 

Bravo well said

I still don't get why some people are not behind this

New Zealand Warriors playing in the NRL isn't remotely an accurate comparison. Tokyo playing in the Bundaberg Red Cup would be. The other examples you gave are of clubs playing in leagues in the same country as them

Looking at Distances

Hey you are right that my comparison of NZ Warriors - distance between Auckland to Townsville is 3345 kms - cannot be compared to Toronto to Manchester which is 5491 kms. But then your comparison of Tokyo to Sydney for a Bundaberg Red Cup game is 7822. Glad you dont measure carpets for a living.

You might be interested in the Rugby Union Super 18's competition - and please sit down when you read this and have a cup of sweetened tea close by - has admitted the Tokyo Sunwolves and Jaguares (Buenos Aires) into their competition.

And it gets worse! The Super 18 organisers have put both teams in the SOUTH AFRICAN conference meaning that travelling distances are:

Tokyo to Cape Town - 14,722 kms

Buenos Aires to Cape Town - 6865 kms

Tokyo to Buenos Aires - a gob smacking 18358 kms

I wonder if the RU organisers were hoodwinked by the dastardly business consortiums behind the Tokyo Sunwolves and Jaguares into believing that the Tokyo Sunwolves was really a sushi bar in Johannesburg and Jaguares were a car dealership in downtown Pretoria.

So we have one code if rugby expanding their southern hemisphere tournament whilst some people of another rugby code still think that travelling over 20 miles to a game is inhuman.

P.S. I know understand your final comment. I was referring to Cardiff City, Swansea City and newport County playing in a league in another country - not cardiff, Swansea and Newport RU clubs.

In the past ten years planes where grounded for the volcanic Ash, Sars..... it's a valid question. What happens? do they replay the games or not?

While I'm picking at straws, what happens if the plane is diverted to the USA? or needs to turn back, you know like the Virgin plane that was turned back this morning.

MancRL - how do you manage to get out of bed on a morning?

I retract my previous email above and wish to re-phrase it:

How do you get to sleep on a night with all those worries?