Owls

Dave Naylor

Anyone got any feelings about Owls?  I keep checking out all the social media pre-match images the other clubs put out.  Swinton have this moody looking Lion and Leigh have those Spartans that somebody with a GCSE C in classical history thought were Centurions

My point is, if I were to knock a few images up with some fierce looking creature hanging around menacingly behind one of our players, the only thing I can think of with an Oldham connection is an Owl.  An owl is sat on the top of the club crest therefore on our shirt but I sort of associate Owls with Latics. 

I could go a bit left field and have a Bison or something because I'm sure in the neolithic period there must have been one or two knocking around Derker.  I am however open to suggestions.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really sure Dave, i think i would probably say the same as you, Latics have that clipart type owl thing and if i saw an owl on something rugby related ,i would think why?. Tricky to get a picture of a fierce looking Roughyed these days too,rarer than yeti's i believe lol. Your right though the only animal representing Oldham as a town is the owl.My initial thought was a kind of faded club badge in the background as obvs we have no tenuous connection to any dodgy animals- not even Bears! ( I still shudder at that horror story). The crest is the only thing i can think of that when i see it,it screams ORLFC.Im sure whatever you decide upon will be fab as usual.Just my two pennorth as per usual.

Ps just thought of something, maybe you could have the crest on it somewhere and have a pic of an animal which represents the type of player? I.e a rhino for Wardy,cheetah for Jamel,Lion,Tiger whatever fits for the player.

Looks like I've made a job for myself here.  I'm thinking of creating a generic template and I could just slot the appropriate animal behind it.  So I need suggestions for fast things, wily things (steady on the spelling), powerful things, reliable things etc etc.  

Nice one Connor, sure Phil would appreciate that . I personally hated everything about the Oldham Bears name and badge, i was glad when we binned that hopefully to never return. Tbh i aint keen on these names for clubs but i do get the fact it increases awareness probably.If we reverted to some strange name, they would, as they always have be referred to as the Roughyeds in our household. Plus i wouldnt buy anything with some tacky badge on it. Although THOHAF i must admit that t shirt was one of the best things we ever had lol.In this day and age i suppose its all about brand awareness,something we dont have really at the moment. Im just a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to club badges i guess.

I've always thought that names such as Wigan Warriors,Leeds Rhinos etc sound cheesy and Americanised. We managed for donkeys years without these silly nicknames probably dreamed up in some boardroom.Widnes is Widnes,Wigan is Wigan,Huddersfield is Huddersfield and so on.If a club has an old nickname synonymous with the club ie- Hornets,roughyeds etc then that's fair enough but some of them is Halifax Blue Socks sounds a bit poncey to me.

According to wiki , when I Googled things oldham was famous for, it was the centre of the hatting industry, with the name roughyeds coming from the rough felt the hats were made of....so whatever critter it is...it should have a hat.....

My initial Google was done with the thought that perhaps if there wasn't a creature that people could decide on, perhaps the history could lend itself to a fierce looking weapon or tool...but sadly ...try as I might, I cannot envisage a menacing looking cotton reel......

Archived