Home Brew

Turns out it hasn't stalled after all...just took a reading and its around 1.008, so looks like it was attenuated way earlier than anticipated, my earliest yet at around 2-3 days...perhaps there was nothing wrong with the first yeast pack after all and so I've sort of overpitched if anything by adding the backup, its only been 4 days now so its still reet mucky, will leave it for a week or so now to clear up before I dry hop

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isinglass to be added?

did you use protofloc in the boil?

I did but then when I tried to pour the wort through the strainer it all went #### up and so I think the only thing that I strained out was the protofloc (which looked like transparent spheres) after they'd been in the boil/cooled......should the protofloc stay in the FV too?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Turns out it hasn't stalled after all...just took a reading and its around 1.008, so looks like it was attenuated way earlier than anticipated, my earliest yet at around 2-3 days...perhaps there was nothing wrong with the first yeast pack after all and so I've sort of overpitched if anything by adding the backup, its only been 4 days now so its still reet mucky, will leave it for a week or so now to clear up before I dry hop

This turned out to be a lovely drop in the end.....can't beat the "3 C's" (Centennial, Columbus and Cascade) for a nice, refreshing, citrus fruit flavour.....restraining myself from caining it all too quickly

Later, I'll be bottling my Ruby Mild and leaving that for the next mth or so to condition.

I was going to try a porter next but a friend is coming back from Canada in October and I've opted to do a brew in his honour for the homecoming party.  He likes pales and so it's going to have to be a transatlantic pale -  Fuggles, EKG (UK) and Liberty and Centennial (US) me thinks....not sure if you can get Canadian hops?

• 2 months later...

5kg Maris Otter malt, 100g crystal...cascade, Centennial and columbus hops 60g of each but split in three batches so 1/3 goes in at 60, 1/3 goes in at 15 and 1/3 at flameout...at least 20g each of them dry hopped too....or citra if you can find/afford them!...nb that's for a standard 5g batch...not sure what quantities you tend to brew in?

I am going to be making this again very shortly, a really beautiful drink

I'm currently crash cooling my Xmas strong ale (recipe courtesy of your Greg Hughes book!) before I bottle it on Monday, fingers crossed its turned out ok before it gets 12 weeks bottle conditioning to bring out those Xmas flavours

• 1 month later...

Am off work for the rest of this week so am going to be trying my hand at this recipe tomorrow!

West Indies Porter

9lb Maris Otter

4.6lb Crisp Brown Malt

1lb Victory Malt

1lb Crisp Chocolate Malt

.9 oz Columbus at 70min

.35oz Columbus at 40min

1oz Willamette at 0min

1oz E. Kent Goldings at 0min

WLP 002 (Wyeast 1028)

• 7 months later...

How's everyone getting on? I'm new to homebrewing and have just set up a very simple workstation in the garage. 

Given the current temperatures, the challenge has been keeping the fermenting buckets and contents below 24%. I've placed both FBs in large rubber buckets (you know, the ones some folk use in gardens), filled with water. Occasionally' ive added ice cubes into the outer bucket to keep the termperature under control. 

In order to maintain temperatures at 20-24 when the outside temperature drops, I've installed a 50w aquarium heater into each bucket with a thermostatic control. £15 for the pair.

I'm on my 4th brew and I can't believe how good these premium kits are now. The summer holiday beer selection is going to be varied and fun - just hope there's room in the car!

5 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

How's everyone getting on? I'm new to homebrewing and have just set up a very simple workstation in the garage. 

Given the current temperatures, the challenge has been keeping the fermenting buckets and contents below 24%. I've placed both FBs in large rubber buckets (you know, the ones some folk use in gardens), filled with water. Occasionally' ive added ice cubes into the outer bucket to keep the termperature under control. 

In order to maintain temperatures at 20-24 when the outside temperature drops, I've installed a 50w aquarium heater into each bucket with a thermostatic control. £15 for the pair.

I'm on my 4th brew and I can't believe how good these premium kits are now. The summer holiday beer selection is going to be varied and fun - just hope there's room in the car!

nice one and welcome to the wonderful world of home brew. Re temperature control I invested in a 2nd hand fridge and an inkbird, this enabled me to brew my first pilsner a couple of mths ago, I used a recipe in Greg Hughes home brew beer and it turned out lovely. My last beer was a recipe I built from scratch, an APA with a view to being a citrus hop bomb....in the end it was a little underwhelming tbh, if I did it again I would add loads more as dry hops I think

10 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

I had my second child about 13 months ago.

Coincidentally I haven't brewed or played anything meaningful on my piano for just over a year...

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Does anyone on here use Golden Syrup for the sugar in their Home Brew? I Used to when I brewed my own, and it tastes fine, first time I used it I put too much in and it tasted as strong as Special Brew! Be careful.

You might get an interesting effect using black treacle, as long as you don't put too much in.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

You might get an interesting effect using black treacle, as long as you don't put too much in.

Hmm, I used Black treacle and got a very strange brew, neither Lager, which I was aiming for, nor stout/bitter, maybe I should have stuck with it and developed an Uxbridge Brew. Black Lager (c)

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Hmm, I used Black treacle and got a very strange brew, neither Lager, which I was aiming for, nor stout/bitter, maybe I should have stuck with it and developed an Uxbridge Brew. Black Lager (c)

Staropramen make a dark lager, but my local shop doesn't stock it any more. I seem to remember it being a decent enough drink.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I had my second child about 13 months ago.

Coincidentally I haven't brewed or played anything meaningful on my piano for just over a year...

I'm about to move to the SW and have a third kid on the way so I'm pretty sure brewing's going to be fairly low on my priority list too over the next few mths :( which is a shame as ive just assembled all the bits needed for a home made stir plate as I wanted to get into using liquid yeast starters instead of the dried packet stuff

I sold my gear just before xmas, I am beginning to think it was a mistake!

I will get back into it at some point, just needed some more time to get into it again,

We have an allotment that we can both do together that we enjoy.

5 hours ago, TheDuke said:

I sold my gear just before xmas, I am beginning to think it was a mistake!

I will get back into it at some point, just needed some more time to get into it again,

We have an allotment that we can both do together that we enjoy.

no! Hadn't you just built that swish kegerator?

On 6/26/2017 at 10:06 AM, Futtocks said:

The best song EVER about drinking home brew. Song title "Garnets Home-Made Beer"

Well worth a listen and a WARNING for those new to drinking the stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI8P5Fhc5yU

Was speaking to a bloke earlier who lives just round the corner from us who is growing his own hops. He reckoned there were quite a few people in the area doing the same.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Archived