Farmduck

2016 UKers and Euros Down Under (+USAers and Canadians)

That time of the year again. Please add any names you know of. NRL, NSW + Q Cups, Sydney and Brisbane lower grades and NYC are all pretty easy to keep track of. Bush leagues less so.

- Burgess x 3 at South Sydney

- Whitehead and Hodgson at Raiders

- Graham at Dogs

- Greg Eden at Broncos/Wynnum Manly

- Widdop, Cooper and Tyrone McCarthy at St George Illawarra Steeler Dragons

- Joe Burgess at Easts

- Benjamin Garcia at Panthers

- Luke Burgess at Manly

QLD CUP

- Ian Webster going around again for Central Q Capras.

- Luke George, another season at Northern Pride

CANBERRA RAIDERS CUP

- Curtis Goddard (USA) Yass Magpies

REFEREE

- Tim Robey stays for another season

Edited by Farmduck

Is Luke Burgess not at Manly?

I think they wanted to punt him but some of the medical advice on Brenton Lawrence was that he may not be back for a while so they needed a spare prop. There were recent rumours about him heading back to England but nothing concrete.

Yass Magpies are returning to the Canberra Raiders Cup after missing last year, probably because they didn't have the numbers. Yass only has 5,000 people and it's playing against teams from much bigger towns.

Should I include the couple of Americans? The guy at Wenty will be easy enough to track. There were also a couple playing lower grades in Qld last year.

Should I include the couple of Americans? The guy at Wenty will be easy enough to track. There were also a couple playing lower grades in Qld last year.

Isn't there some Canadians knocking about in the lower grades farmduck?

Isn't there some Canadians knocking about in the lower grades farmduck?

I vaguely remember that. Possibly the Mackay District league. There were about 6 players from OZ clubs in the last Wolverines squad but I think they were heritage players and a Tom Dempsey, originally from St Helens who played Q Cup last year.

I just remembered Tim Robey is still here too. I think he touch judged in the All Stars game.

For some reason my brain (on autopilot) makes a distinction between English players and OZ RL players who were born in UK. McManus and Reed never played RL anywhere but OZ before they reached first grade so I usually don't think of them. Like Sarginson, who never played RL in OZ so nobody considers him Australian.

McManus is semi-retired and plans to sit out this season because of repeated concussions. I understand he hasn't decided about 2017.

I'll add Reed. I don't know yet about Olds and Goulding since the BRL teams are still playing trials and haven't finalised squads yet.

Robbie Ward from Leeds has joined the Sunshine Coast Falcons. I noted with a smirk that the Falcons have retained second-rower Kristian Wanka.

I dunno about these guys. I'll leave them here so I won't have to look for last year's thread. They might come back this year:

- Nick Powley (Hull Dockers) and Dave Wilson (Keyingham Vikings? sounds English) both playing for West Mackay Magpies in Mackay and District RL

- Curtis Cunningham plays for Mackay Souths Sharks. Cardiff Demons, Crusaders, South Wales Scorpions, Gloucester RC

- Dean McGilvray from Blackbrook Royals is on the books at Northern Pride. I don't know if he has played first grade yet.

- Alex Clare, 21 from St Helens Academy and 1 game with Rochdale, is playing with the Whitsunday Brahmans in the Mackay District League.

- Gareth Knowles and his Ulverston team-mate Liam Saunders will be following in the footsteps of several other South Cumbrian players who have turned out for Cooma Stallions down the years. This may have paid off for Ulverston as 2 Aussies have gone there from Cooma this year: 

Australian duo signed up for Ulverston RL campaign

- Ben Shulver, Jack Miller and Dan Maskill are playing for the Queanbeyan Kangaroos.

Miller called Huddersfield home, playing for the Giants while Maskill and Shulver played for the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.

- Corbyn Kilday (former Wakey junior) was at CQ Capras.  English born, Scottish heritage. Gone back to Swinton

Dom Speakman - ex St Helens Academy is playing in Tweed Heads and has definitely had at least one old Cup game this year. Joined Dewsbury.

Gavin Bennion - ex Warrington Academy has had a game or two with Mackay Cutters. Gone to Halifax

Neil Thorman is playing for Young Cherrypickers.

Others whose names I have seen playing up in Nth Q are former St Helens youngsters Dan Abram and Lewis Galbraith. Galbraith is at Rochdale.

Backrower Adam Lawton and winger Alex Brown both ex- Widnes are listed as Redcliffe players. Lawton said on Twitter 29 Dec that he was back in Brisbane. I think Alex Brown signed with Batley.

Brad Goulding is also playing up in Brisbane, he would be the youngest of this lot being only 18. Snippets on his Twitter suggest he is back in OZ for another year.

Elliot Gorman from Huddersfield played for the Rabbitohs u/20's last season but is now 21 and I think he is in the North Sydney Bears NSW Cup squad.

Tom Bush, ex Leeds, York and Hunslet, seems to be playing for Cootamundra Bulldogs  Looks like the Bulldogs may not be able to field a team this year.

Edited by Farmduck

Neil Thorman, who played for Gateshead and Haven from 2007-13 is the new Captain-Coach at Young Cherrypickers.

YOUNG captain-coach Neil Thorman is playing a waiting game on three major recruits before finalising the Cherrypickers squad for the West Wyalong Knockout.

Stepping out of the off-season shadows, Thorman has revealed Young is within reach of pulling off a triple recruiting coup ahead of the Knockout on February 26-27.

”We’re talking to three players and potentially they could be playing with us in the trials,” Thorman said on Thursday.

“It just all depends on a few things, but we’re definitely looking to recruit them.”

With Thorman’s English heritage, it is expected the new faces at Young will be from overseas, but the Cherrypickers are also in the hunt for a prominent Group Nine player.

Cootamundra playmaker Matt Forsyth has already trained with Young, but is yet to gain a release from the Bulldogs.

With the departure of Luke Branighan, Matt Wakefield and Jake Dawe, and the retirement of warrior Nick Hall, the Cherrypickers have lost a powerhouse nucleus of last year’s team.

Thorman, however, is adamant the addition of Tom Bush and James Woolford, and a rousing pre-season training campaign, has the club in a strong position.

Recalling his initiation to Young in 2015, the English star said the Cherrpickers had come a long way in 12 months.

“I think back to this time last year when I went to my training session here and there was only me Branno, Matt Wakefield and a few younger players,” Thorman said.

“The other night we had 25 players at training.

“I’m very happy, really pleased.”

For Thorman, taking over from Branighan after his four year reign is not a monumental challenge.

“Branno and I are good mates and it’s not like I’m competing with him,” Thorman said.

“He (Branighan) was confident in what he had (players) to be very successful.

“I’ve got my side of coaching and it is probably a bit different.

“It’s all about training and so not so much about meetings and that sort of thing.”

A week away from the West Wyalong Knockout, Thorman is ready to put the finishing touches on the team’s preparation.

And, significantly, it will involve a weekend brutal bush training camp drawn up by fanatically fit Nick Hall.

“It’s all outdoors and Nick says it will be really tough,” Thorman said.

“Nick actually did it last week and was so excited about it even though he came back filthy.

“Obviously it’s about team bonding, but not just boozing.

“There’ll be plenty to do.”

Thorman says Young ‘s extensive pre-season schedule including the West Wyalong Knockout and two other trials will give the team a head start for the premiership opener against Tumbarumba at Tumbarumba Showground on April  10.

“We’re actually at a nice stage at the moment,” he said.

Young, meantime, remains optimistic dynamic Tui Samoa will stick with the Cherrypickers.

Updated

- Burgess x 3 at South Sydney

- Whitehead and Hodgson at Raiders

- Graham at Dogs

- Greg Eden at Broncos/Wynnum Manly

- Widdop, Cooper and Tyrone McCarthy at St George Illawarra Steeler Dragons

- Joe Burgess at Easts

- Benjamin Garcia at Panthers

- Luke Burgess at Manly

- Jack Reed at Broncos

QLD CUP

- Ian Webster going around again for Central Q Capras.

- Luke George, another season at Northern Pride

CANBERRA RAIDERS CUP

NSW COUNTRY GROUP 9

- Neil Thorman Captain Coach of Young Cherrypickers

REFEREE

- Tim Robey stays for another season

Other players possibly returning:

- Adam Lawton from Widnes probably at Redcliffe in Q Cup/BRL

- Brad Goulding possibly Normanby Hounds in BRL where his bro, Bobbie Jnr played last year

- Ollie Olds, represented Wales last year, supposed to be at Souths Logan Magpies in Q Cup

Edited by Farmduck

Daniel Maskill is currently flying out via Abu Dhabi to Oz. I think to Canberra, but maybe not. Was in Sydney last year. He's the son of ex Cas player Colin Maskill.

Edited by G Las D

No he was at Queanbeyan Kangaroos last year. Remember him and 2 other Brits from Hudds/Wakey?

ROUND 1

- Only Sam Burgess this week with George suspended and Tom injured

- Whitehead and Hodgson both in the starting 13 at Raiders

- Graham captain and starting prop at Dogs

- Greg Eden keeps his wing spot at the Broncos with Jack Reed and Lachlan Maranta both injured

- Widdop and Cooper in the starting 13 for St George and Tyrone McCarthy on a 7-man bench so probably miss out.

- Joe Burgess named on a 6-man bench for the Roosters with Latrell Mitchell taking the vacant wing spot.

NSW CUP

- Benjamin Garcia named at 13 in Panthers NSW Cup side

- Luke Burgess on the bench in Manly's NSW Cup team.

- No mention of Ryan Burroughs at Wenty

QLD CUP

- Ian Webster not named Central Q Capras.

- Luke George named on the wing for Northern Pride

- Robbie Ward (Leeds) on the bench for Sunshine Coast Falcons

- Danny Bridge starts the season for Redcliffe on the bench.

CANBERRA RAIDERS CUP (starts 9 April)

REFEREE

- Tim Robey refs the Tigers v Warriors 20s on Sunday

Edited by Farmduck

Yes, although they are Cas people I belive Colin and Dan have links with Wakey.

Tell us a bit about Queanbeyan FD.

I believe we have had a player at Fev from there

Shulver%20Miller%20Maskill%20Queanbeyan%

Three Englishmen at Queanbeyan Kangaroos 2015 season:

L to R Ben Shulver, Jack Miller and Dan Maskill

Colin%20Maskill_zps0p8nbvfd.jpg

Colin Maskill at Cas Players Association Annual Dinner (Photo by Matthew Merrick Photography)

Edited by G Las D

Yes, although they are Cas people I belive Colin and Dan have links with Wakey.

This was the article from last year's Qbn paper:  http://www.queanbeyanage.com.au/story/3012942/roos-ready-to-bounce-back/

Queanbeyan is in NSW straight across the border from Canberra. It was always the RL stronghold of the area and the original Raiders were based in Queanbeyan. Basically they were the Queanbeyan Blues Raiders but Q was considered too small a town to attract enough attention so they called them Canberra.

Queanbeyan was there 70 years before they started building Canberra and, traditionally, everything illegal in ACT was OK in Queanbeyan. When building started, there were no pubs in Canberra so everybody crossed the border. For about 20 years ACT didn't have poker machines while NSW did. The Queanbeyan Leagues Club (basically the Canberra Raiders) used to have 25K members when the total population of Queanbeyan was only 15K.

Yes, we had a player at Fev round about 2006 from Queanbeyan called Josh Weeden.

Danny Bridge starts the season for Redcliffe on the bench.