Farmduck

2016 UKers and Euros Down Under (+USAers and Canadians)

English winger Joe Burgess will return to England at the end of the season after being granted an early release by the Sydney Roosters.
Burgess joined the Tricolours ahead of the 2016 season on a three-year deal, but so far, has managed to break into the NRL team on just four occasions
The 21-year-old has decided to return to the Super League outfit Wigan where he became one of the competition’s most prolific tryscorers.
During his first spell with Wigan, Burgess scored 52 tries in 58 appearances.
His new three-year deal with the Warriors will commence in 2017.

English winger Joe Burgess will return to England at the end of the season after being granted an early release by the Sydney Roosters.

Burgess joined the Tricolours ahead of the 2016 season on a three-year deal, but so far, has managed to break into the NRL team on just four occasions

The 21-year-old has decided to return to the Super League outfit Wigan where he became one of the competition’s most prolific tryscorers.

During his first spell with Wigan, Burgess scored 52 tries in 58 appearances.

His new three-year deal with the Warriors will commence in 2017.

Burgess must be gutted at not even getting " a fair crack of the whip"  the way the Roosters have been playing

oops

Edited by Farmduck

Just watching some match highlights, it looks like Danny Bridge is playing great for Redcliffe, pretty sure he is playing 80 minutes each week in the back row.

He's still only 23 and developing nicely.

I am assistant coach at valley diehards Brl comp looking for new players for 2017 season.

David.lightfoot

Didn't you have Big Ben Agnew from the Brow with you for a short time,how did he go ?

On 10/2/2017 at 5:25 AM, RL is the future said:

@Farmduck Did you do one of these threads for 2017? Tried to find it but couldn't.

No I didn't. It was too time-consuming with all the bush leagues. Were you after any player in particular?

On 03/10/2017 at 3:06 PM, Farmduck said:

No I didn't. It was too time-consuming with all the bush leagues. Were you after any player in particular?

Nah, I just also find it time consuming trying to catch up with the players and how they're doing so good to see it all in one place 

This was announced today on the Featherstone Rovers website:

FEATHERSTONE Rovers have secured the services of former Wakefield Trinity hooker Danny Maskill, who has joined the club on trial.

The 22-year-old has recently returned to the UK following a three-year spell in Australia, where he represented Leeton Galloping Greens and Queanbeyan Kangaroos.

The son of former Featherstone player Colin Maskill is hoping to hit the ground running as a Rover - in a bid to earn himself a long-term contract with the club.

“I left Wakefield at the age of 19 for a move to Australia and really enjoyed my time there,” said Maskill, who turned down offers from elsewhere to join Featherstone.

“My time with Leeton and Queanbeyan was brilliant and I have learned a great deal, so the challenge now is to make it here - back in England.

“It was right for me to come home at this point and I am looking forward to the challenges ahead.

Full story:

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/rovers-capture-rising-star-maskill-vapx1

Danny Maskill won't be going out to play in Australia this season as he has signed for Featherstone Rovers in the Championship

I might start a 2018 thread.

Speaking of ex-Queanbeyan Kangaroo Maskill, Jeff Lima has just signed with the QKs, on top of his day job as a Youth Worker with the Canberra Police Community Youth Club (PCYC).

• Thanks 1

Good luck to Jeff.

I’d heard of Queanbeyan before.

Odd name Queanbeyan, how did that name come about?

We had a player at Featherstone come to us from Queanbeyan Blues. Josh Weedon stayed with us two seasons before moving on.

38 minutes ago, Graham said:

Good luck to Jeff.

I’d heard of Queanbeyan before.

Odd name Queanbeyan, how did that name come about?

We had a player at Featherstone come to us from Queanbeyan Blues. Josh Weedon stayed with us two seasons before moving on.

Queanbeyan is an Aboriginal word meaning "town next to the Queanbeyan River." I think it's economy peaked during the early construction of Canberra from about 1908 - 1920. There were thousands of construction workers in Canberra but no existing population or Government, hence nobody to issue alcohol licences and no licensed premises.

• Like 1