Sign in to follow this  
ckn

Rant thread

Well, the software is obviously flawed, because I typed "John Inverdale is worth his salary" and it only returned a 28% result.

For comparison, "Pol Pot was a great humanitarian" scored 19%.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Perspective has finally solved an age-old argument: Yorkshire 21% toxic but Lancashire only 13% toxic.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Perspective has finally solved an age-old argument: Yorkshire 21% toxic but Lancashire only 13% toxic.

we try our best. But 21% isn't nearly good enough

I need to go to Peterborough today, I'm going by train.  Normally, a return costs around £40 for a peak time standard return.  Yesterday a freight train derailed on the route and the entire service has been cancelled for the next week or so meaning I have to go through London rather than direct.  Cost of my return ticket now: £187.  Greater Anglia's response?  Not their problem but I can wait for two hours and get an off-peak one for £77.40 if I want to save money.

It would be cheaper for me to get a taxi there and back.  Seriously, I did check.  Unfortunately I can't claim taxi fares back from the lot I'm going to and I have to be there by 11 meaning I have to take the more expensive journey.

Just for comparison, if I could delay until tomorrow, it would even be cheaper for me to buy a return ticket using advance tickets to Scotland and back.  In first class.

Why do bank holidays bring out the worst drivers who cause accidents that make rush hours seem like a traffic-less paradise?  We're supposed to be off to a friend's today and the normal 20 minute drive looks like 2+ hours due to three separate accidents covering the main route and only reasonable alternative. 

I hope no one was injured but, beyond that, FFS. 

10 minutes ago, ckn said:

Why do bank holidays bring out the worst drivers who cause accidents that make rush hours seem like a traffic-less paradise?  We're supposed to be off to a friend's today and the normal 20 minute drive looks like 2+ hours due to three separate accidents covering the main route and only reasonable alternative. 

I hope no one was injured but, beyond that, FFS. 

i wouldn't dream of going anywhere on a bank holiday.

39 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There have been changes made to the forum layout.

30f.jpg

People who insist on walking into the road in front of moving traffic, because they can't be bothered to walk the 50 metres in either direction to a pedestrian crossing.

• Like 1

People.

Let's all admit it; the whole thread could really boil down to just "people".

Jean-Paul Sartre had it right.

Harrumph!

:ph34r:

• Like 2

Free market economists. In response to price gouging in Houston after the hurricane, an economist wrote a piece for Forbes arguing that price gouging is just an example of the majesty of the market auto-correcting for unusual circumstances. Forbes pulled the article. I found the full text here:  https://aintnogod.com/ipb/topic/12542-forbes-publishes-pro-price-gouging-piece-then-pulls-it/

Documentary presenters who think the programme is all about them, and not the actual subject of the programme.

I call it Bettany Hughes Syndrome.

Edited by Futtocks

the complete lack of realism on tv.

Here's a for instance. When you see people cleaning their teeth, you never see the froth running down their chin. I'm right aren't I?

35 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Here's a for instance. When you see people cleaning their teeth, you never see the froth running down their chin. I'm right aren't I?

Who knows? Most people don't suffer from that problem.

43 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

I take 'em out of a glass on a morning and put in my mouth, sorted.

• Haha 2

People who have window seats in the office and have the blinds down all day. Shoot them all. All of them. 

I sit in the corner of our office on the 27th floor, if the blinds are down i have a proper lovely view; Singapore cricket club, the Fullerton, Raffles in the background to my left, the water with little boats fannying about and then MBS to my right. The clowns in front of me pull ALL of the blinds fully down so all i can see is a half deflated balloon in front of some blinds.

And.... the stupid clock in front of me.. New York time is fast by 8 minutes; Mumbai 12; London slow by 7 and Tokyo just flashes. Fix it!!!!! 

I haven't slept very well all week, I was sick this morning, I haven't heard from anyone since Monday and my anxiety is back to where it was a few months ago.

:(

25 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

I haven't slept very well all week, I was sick this morning, I haven't heard from anyone since Monday and my anxiety is back to where it was a few months ago.

:(

Anxiety has managed to ruin my life on several occasions.  Get help if you haven't already.

• Like 1

On 08/28/2017 at 5:49 PM, gazza77 said:

People who insist on walking into the road in front of moving traffic, because they can't be bothered to walk the 50 metres in either direction to a pedestrian crossing.

They're better than the lowlife who press the button when there's clearly no traffic, but by the time they have gone it's on red for you and absolutely nobody there to cross. String em up.

27 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

They're better than the lowlife who press the button when there's clearly no traffic, but by the time they have gone it's on red for you and absolutely nobody there to cross. String em up.

I remember reading a quote from an ineffably smug book about slowing down your lifestyle, which recommended pressing the button on every crossing you encounter, whether you intend to cross or not, just to inflict your life choices on everyone else too. The author of that book is someone who should be means-tested for oxygen.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I remember reading a quote from an ineffably smug book about slowing down your lifestyle, which recommended pressing the button on every crossing you encounter, whether you intend to cross or not, just to inflict your life choices on everyone else too. The author of that book is someone who should be means-tested for oxygen.

Get me their name, that's all I ask!

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Was it Alain de Botton?

I bet it was Alain de Botton.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Was it Alain de Botton?

I bet it was Alain de Botton.

I forget the name, but vaguely recall that it was written by a husband'n'wife team, whose imbecile blissfulness was extensively catalogued in the book to a thoroughly regurgitative level.

The general amount of waiting and queuing you have to do. It is usually caused by the lack of staff (call centres and supermarkets are the main culprits), lack of staff training or other people monopolising the time of staff. 

Another cause is management not being prepared to do the lower level roles, again supermarkets are the worst for this. 3 manned tills with 20 people waiting in each que and 2 manager stood there moaning about how slow the till staff are, rather than jump on one of the 10 free tills and serving customers.