Another Code Switch...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"just trying to "keep his hand in""   Keeping his hand in, in a sport he has little or no experience in, this is real down the rabbit hole stuff! :O I believe Alex Ferguson is free did they ask him? Melissa Hyndman, Jockey Wilson, Bobby Crutchley, Mother Theresa or Uncle Tom Cobley?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

"just trying to "keep his hand in""   Keeping his hand in, in a sport he has little or no experience in, this is real down the rabbit hole stuff! :O I believe Alex Ferguson is free did they ask him? Melissa Hyndman, Jockey Wilson, Bobby Crutchley, Mother Theresa or Uncle Tom Cobley?

Graham Henry (or Ted as he;s known in New Zealand) is considered a very good all round coach, tactician and MOTIVATOR. He makes little secret of his admiration for sports people across all sports and has experienced the elation of winning more than most, as well as the devastation of defeat and the stigma that comes with it....see 2007 All Blacks World Cup Exit......it still scars many Kiwis!

He is by profession a School's Headmaster and therefore will be well versed in giving advice and objective opinion to the Warriors.

As for the keeping his hand in comment.....just lazy journalism from 5 live (nothing new there). He actually works for the Argentinian RFU I believe.

Graham Henry (or Ted as he;s known in New Zealand) is considered a very good all round coach, tactician and MOTIVATOR. He makes little secret of his admiration for sports people across all sports and has experienced the elation of winning more than most, as well as the devastation of defeat and the stigma that comes with it....see 2007 All Blacks World Cup Exit......it still scars many Kiwis!

He is by profession a School's Headmaster and therefore will be well versed in giving advice and objective opinion to the Warriors.

As for the keeping his hand in comment.....just lazy journalism from 5 live (nothing new there). He actually works for the Argentinian RFU I believe.

I could have given you an equally valid cv/ resume for Melissa Hyndman and it would have made just as much sense to have her coaching the Warriors Trailly!

As for some ru people being upset about something I couldn't give a rodent's bottom about, irrelevant I'm afraid. I have known many headteachers too and least said soonest mended on 99% of them.

And the Warriors don't need motivating they need to start acting like grown men who are lucky enough to be paid so highly and get to play TGG! :biggrin:

I could have given you an equally valid cv/ resume for Melissa Hyndman and it would have made just as much sense to have her coaching the Warriors Trailly!

As for some ru people being upset about something I couldn't give a rodent's bottom about, irrelevant I'm afraid. I have known many headteachers too and least said soonest mended on 99% of them.

And the Warriors don't need motivating they need to start acting like grown men who are lucky enough to be paid so highly and get to play TGG! :biggrin:

Graham Henry is a relatively medium sized fish in a very Small Pool that is NZ Sport and as such, he carries some weight in his influence and standing as somewhat of an Iconic figure. Melissa Hyndman is a netball coach....basically a sprat in a puddle by comparison.

As for what you think the Warriors need? Basically, Eric Watson is bankrolling this "gimmick" and if he's happy, then I think most Warriors fans will be too. As for the players......there are one or two who I don't think we'll see back at the Mount next year...maybe it's time for Big Manu to head north?

Graham Henry is a relatively medium sized fish in a very Small Pool that is NZ Sport and as such, he carries some weight in his influence and standing as somewhat of an Iconic figure. Melissa Hyndman is a netball coach....basically a sprat in a puddle by comparison.

As for what you think the Warriors need? Basically, Eric Watson is bankrolling this "gimmick" and if he's happy, then I think most Warriors fans will be too. As for the players......there are one or two who I don't think we'll see back at the Mount next year...maybe it's time for Big Manu to head north?

"..a medium sized fish..." ???? The point is both of them have as much RL experience as Albert Einstein and as much as I value Albo's explanation of the the way the universe may work, his "code switch" would be just as strange. :mosking:  Of course Henry has the added  advantage of having a pulse so it's not completely negative news!

The point is both of them have as much RL experience as Albert Einstein 

...ah.....the insular approach again. If it ain't league it ain't good....I can see where you're coming from now. A bloke that's coached sports at a higher and more abundant international level than any RL coach in history, is experienced in the highs and lows of coaching teams that face global opposition and is held up as a hero in his home country obviously has no place mentoring the national representatives......nay, the only single pro team in the hemisphere outside of Australia.

As I say, your overt positivity often as much does more damage than supposed negativity.....

The warriors asked him....I very much doubt he came on the recommendation of the IRB/World Rugby/NZRU........but you keyboard warriors defending the faith know better than the everyone else.......as usual!

...ah.....the insular approach again. If it ain't league it ain't good....I can see where you're coming from now. A bloke that's coached sports at a higher and more abundant international level than any RL coach in history, is experienced in the highs and lows of coaching teams that face global opposition and is held up as a hero in his home country obviously has no place mentoring the national representatives......nay, the only single pro team in the hemisphere outside of Australia.

As I say, your overt positivity often as much does more damage than supposed negativity.....

The warriors asked him....I very much doubt he came on the recommendation of the IRB/World Rugby/NZRU........but you keyboard warriors defending the faith know better than the everyone else.......as usual!

No my points are: that being good in one sport does not by definition mean you are capable within another, and that rugby union is sufficiently different from TGG to make this appointment seem strange and that if other sports have answers for us it could be any sport.

Your emphasis and use of comparitive on his level of coaching is fascinating.

The Warriors are one of my teams and I hope it works out for them and Mr Henry but that won't make it any less bizarre!

Surely it is a good thing to learn about practices from other sports/industries. I have just been listening to Radio 4, a hospital in Wales have asked a formula one team to help them with their emergency care practices.

The game needs to look outside of itself and see how other people do things.

No my points are: that being good in one sport does not by definition mean you are capable within another, and that rugby union is sufficiently different from TGG to make this appointment seem strange and that if other sports have answers for us it could be any sport.

Your emphasis and use of comparitive on his level of coaching is fascinating.

The Warriors are one of my teams and I hope it works out for them and Mr Henry but that won't make it any less bizarre!

He's not there to coach the side.......he's there to coach the coach!

Well said TF. Ox is just going off on one again, deluded in his arrogance and or ignorance towards the significant similarities there are in the skills required to coach full time professionals and furthermore between coaching players in significantly similar sports.

It's a good move. It isn't a coaching role and isn't even the last time a NZRU "name" has had a position with the warriors (Hart).

Graham Henry is IMO one of the few sportsman in NZ who could take on this role.... The only one with the experience of systems, player management and pressure. Bringing in an Aussie hasn't worked in the past. In fact the last person who bad success in the role was Graham Hart when he supported Ivan Cleary.

www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

Best course I ever attended was populated by coaches from hockey, RL, football, netball, basketball, cricket, tennis and maybe a couple more I can't recall. As well as learning from the deliverers, Dr. Alan Begg, David Whitaker, I learned most from the other coaches and was amazed by the netball coaches.

If a Club is not willing to gain outside help, then they are moving backwards. If a Coach is averse to learning from someone else then they are not a Coach.

Surely it is a good thing to learn about practices from other sports/industries. I have just been listening to Radio 4, a hospital in Wales have asked a formula one team to help them with their emergency care practices.

The game needs to look outside of itself and see how other people do things.

It absolutely is... the current England coach learned much from NFL coaches and it is best practice to look as many coaches philosophies and techniques you can to develop. Sometimes we have a superiority complex as a sport, especially when it comes to RU (I appreciate the reasons before the usual suspects jump on that comment!). 

It seems it is his experience as a Headmaster that informs his approach rather than any Union conditioning.

It absolutely is... the current England coach learned much from NFL coaches and it is best practice to look as many coaches philosophies and techniques you can to develop. Sometimes we have a superiority complex as a sport, especially when it comes to RU (I appreciate the reasons before the usual suspects jump on that comment!). 

As did Jack Gibson, who also used coaching knowledge from Football and AFL, wherever he thought they could bring something useful to his team.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well said TF. Ox is just going off on one again, deluded in his arrogance and or ignorance towards the significant similarities there are in the skills required to coach full time professionals and furthermore between coaching players in significantly similar sports.

Hello Sporty

First of all I think there needs to be a bit less personal stuff and and a bit more discussion, I don't expect you to agree with me on anything at all or ever! However, there's no need to make it a personal assault because of that. I have not said or wrote the things as they are attributed to me. I said I just found the situation odd. I also said we can learn from other sports and they could be any sport. If the similarities between ru and TGG are that profound why is it so many of of us who do try to watch it, give up with ru? Not everyone who does that can be perjudiced to that extent!

And I think that you need to read what's actually said and not what someone said I said! All the best O :biggrin:

You said Melissa Hyndman would be an equally valid CV to join the staff at the Warriors. I was merely pointing out how ludicrous that statement was Ox.

I wasn't being personal, I called your comment as I saw it. Deluded, arrogant and ignorant. I didn't result to name calling or anything.

We'll get there one day. I haven't always disagreed with you. Just a lot lately.

You said Melissa Hyndman would be an equally valid CV to join the staff at the Warriors. I was merely pointing out how ludicrous that statement was Ox.

I wasn't being personal, I called your comment as I saw it. Deluded, arrogant and ignorant. I didn't result to name calling or anything.

We'll get there one day. I haven't always disagreed with you. Just a lot lately.

I was merely pointing out that in terms of league she does and saying it's just about the comment well!

May I point out the number of rugby league coaches who go to coach union sides in attack and defence.

oh my God Jimmy, don't give me that. Can't you see that RL and RU are two completely different sports and that a netball coach could just as easily transfer her lifetime skill set into immediately coaching RL at the highest levels? C'mon Jimmy, everyone knows that.

May I point out the number of rugby league coaches who go to coach union sides in attack and defence.

You can indeed but they are not there for their skills in lineouts, scrums, kicking out of touch and long range penalty attempts they are there as technical coaches for the shared components. If they rise to be head honcho such as Sean Edwards it is after a long time cutting their teeth at lower levels of involvement. Big difference to this set up.

Archived