Sheffield investor pulls out

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its really easy to pillory this person but the fact seems to be he invested from 2013 onwards so that's a good 3 years - if his investment did not get the progress he wanted on the hotel and perhaps in other ways not surprised he left - more importantly if there was significant investment up to this point and now the business landscape is a more volatile place especially since the EU thing has become a hot financial topic over the last 4 months or so, any financial investment on the edges would always have tight margins and the volatility of uncertainty in those markets right now won't get many people to invest in anything until everyone knows where they are going in future

I am sure Sheffield would have hedged their bets a bit if they didn't its as much of a surprise as the investor leaving

Hence I seek the reality from you good sir. One day you will get old!

Thanks for that.....

Is that thanks for reminding you that you are old (?)

As you can imagine there was a fair bit of debate and discussion during those 2 seasons with some fans wanting to get promotion, spend no money and then use that money to create a stronger club in the long run

Not sure how much of a mystery the investor is, a look at the companies house can provide the clues, certainly pretty common knowledge amongst Eagles fans

why dont they just give andy farrell his medal now?- ray french before the challenge cup final 1998

Not sure how much of a mystery the investor is, a look at the companies house can provide the clues, certainly pretty common knowledge amongst Eagles fans

It's not that common knowledge as not many seem to know who the investor is

The man who has been putting money into London for the last few years has shown himself to be a lot more reliable than this 'mystery investor '. Not that he gets much credit for it on this forum though!

David Hughes flushed between 1.5 and 2 Million a year down the drain 2008-2012. He appointed unqualified administrators and unqualified coaches with little or no proper procedure followed and often against advice from those who know better, but he ploughed on regardless,

as the results got worse and the few fans we had left drifted until he spat his dummy out in 2013 when we got trounced by Wigan in the cup semi-final. Then we were moments away from vanishing all together until the RFL gave the new landlord a hundred grans "marketing budget"

to take us in, just so they could see out the 2014 fixtures and the last year of franchising.

Don't get me wrong. Hughes bleeds RL and his heart very well may be in the right place, but his head most certainly isn't and he is neither reliable or due much credit.

Don't get me wrong. Hughes bleeds RL and his heart very well may be in the right place, but his head most certainly isn't and he is neither reliable or due much credit.

Maybe Hughes should have packed it in years ago then and you'd have no club.

Like any of us we have faults, he's funded RL in London for years and done a tiny bit better than Branson.

As you can imagine there was a fair bit of debate and discussion during those 2 seasons with some fans wanting to get promotion, spend no money and then use that money to create a stronger club in the long run

I thought that idea of going up and keeping the cash was something the chairman also had thoughts of doing.

This is the dilemma on P & R when those clubs asked to compete for it actually don't really want it. The best example may be Batley, they don't want SL but are having to compete for it.  

I thought that idea of going up and keeping the cash was something the chairman also had thoughts of doing.

This is the dilemma on P & R when those clubs asked to compete for it actually don't really want it. The best example may be Batley, they don't want SL but are having to compete for it.

The people running Batley seem to be doing a great job but as you say I'm just not sure they want promotion as they are not set up for SL

Presumably they could turn promotion down if they won the MPG

David Hughes flushed between 1.5 and 2 Million a year down the drain 2008-2012. He appointed unqualified administrators and unqualified coaches with little or no proper procedure followed and often against advice from those who know better, but he ploughed on regardless,as the results got worse and the few fans we had left drifted until he spat his dummy out in 2013 when we got trounced by Wigan in the cup semi-final. Then we were moments away from vanishing all together until the RFL gave the new landlord a hundred grans "marketing budget"to take us in, just so they could see out the 2014 fixtures and the last year of franchising.Don't get me wrong. Hughes bleeds RL and his heart very well may be in the right place, but his head most certainly isn't and he is neither reliable or due much credit.

That's your view on Hughes. Just because he didn't listen to you doesn't mean that he was wrong

Is it just me or are the "plans and design" for sheffield's new stadium the most vague details there's ever been about a proposed new stadium.

Every time I type into Google "Sheffield legacy park" I get no details about if the work has started or when the work will begin. Also from the images of what the stadium will look like it appears as if it's been designed by a GCSE design&technology student as from what I can see there will be 1 main grandstand followed by 3 open concrete terraces modelled on Whitehaven's railway terrace end.

What I have read re the stadium earlier today makes out that the Main stand will not be ready till 2018!! But it looks like they are looking at installing temporary seating. It all sounds a bit of a dogs dinner to me. But they have been promised there will be a pitch and floodlights ready by December this year

Here we go again .....

It's not that common knowledge as not many seem to know who the investor is

After I posted on here somebody told me who they believe it is and used info at Companies House to convince me.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

After I posted on here somebody told me who they believe it is and used info at Companies House to convince me.

Well a guy called Darren Johnston seemed to be the major shareholder but a look at his other businesses wouldn't lead you to think he had significant wealth.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

The people running Batley seem to be doing a great job but as you say I'm just not sure they want promotion as they are not set up for SL

Presumably they could turn promotion down if they won the MPG

I'd rather they won the Championship Grand Final and popped that in their trophy cabinet, whilst the runners up were provided with the promotion spot if they wanted it.

Archived