Sign in to follow this  
ckn

Lib Dems

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

That's three. Where's the division, is it (Societal and cultural) and (spiritual) or (Societal)and (cultural and spiritual.)

Sorry:

- Societal and cultural
- Spiritual

Paul gets a hard time, but gets a great deal of criticism, but many of his letters are part of a pattern;

Church congregation: On a Tuesday, is it pleasing to God if we burn lambs, or should we ban all contact with lambs are where our special party hats?

Paul: Put this aside, unite and understand the deep spiritual love inside that give us love and allows us to fully live before we die

Church congregation: So, we should burn lambs and execute anyone who doesn't burn them enough?

Paul: Eh? What?  No.  Erm.....wear the party hats.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Always amazing to see how many US evangelicals get caught doing the things they preach against.  (Man love, abortions, theft)

I think I can see some sense in it.

If you really like Starburst sweets, but are determined not to have any, it can become quite an all consuming passion.  Unless you focus on the times when you were not tempted, you focus on fighting the temptation.  It becomes all consuming.  Soon, you are making speeches about how to not eat Starburst sweets, but you notice them in every shop and eventually you give in and gorge yourself.

If you had just had a pack of sweets when you fancied them and not considered it important to how worth while you are, you might have been fine.

Edited by Bob8
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It was certainly the opinion of my dad, the Archdeacon and many of his colleagues.

Yes, sex is part of morality (and sin if that's the way you think) but it is only that: a part, and far from being the greatest part in most cases.

I once watched a documentary about a paedophile priest and he talked about what would happen each time accusations came out and he was moved on.

He suggested that they because they saw it through the lens of church dogma, they treated it much like any other sin and that all he needed to do was repent. They failed to treat it with nearly the magnitude that it needed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I once watched a documentary about a paedophile priest and he talked about what would happen each time accusations came out and he was moved on.

He suggested that they because they saw it through the lens of church dogma, they treated it much like any other sin and that all he needed to do was repent. They failed to treat it with nearly the magnitude that it needed. 

Indeed, that really is the gross trajedy that allowed so many to suffer needlessly.

Minor council seat but the percentages are interesting!  Try to read something national into a local vote...

58 minutes ago, ckn said:

Minor council seat but the percentages are interesting!  Try to read something national into a local vote...

Sunderland, if I remember correctly was staunchly leave. I wonder if the EU referendum has now been see for what it was, a coup within the conservative party.

That said I'm sure there were other local issues at play, but as an area its as red as they come!

38 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

Sunderland, if I remember correctly was staunchly leave. I wonder if the EU referendum has now been see for what it was, a coup within the conservative party.

That said I'm sure there were other local issues at play, but as an area its as red as they come!

Looks like they aren't Corbynistas.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

Pallion is where the shipyards used to be.  There's now a huge heavy engineering industrial estate there.

22 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Looks like they aren't Corbynistas.

well its not hard to see why some people would see the light on that issue, but I suspect their will be local factors which have swayed it.