21 Jul: SL: Hull KR v Leeds Rhinos KO 8pm (TV)

Who will win?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull KR
    • Draw
    • Leeds Rhinos

Become a ref and see if you can do better.

If I was paid as much as Hicks and 30 years younger...in the meantime I will play the role of ref assessor from high in the main stand...Verdict..Hicks is often a ###### ref and needs dropping to the Championship.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Refs make mistakes, players make more mistakes,winning teams credit their team spirit and game plan losers just blame the ref. Refs have to make hundreds of split second calls during a game, they will make mistakes, one-eyed fans make a lot more misjudgements about refs decisions.

If I was paid as much as Hicks and 30 years younger...in the meantime I will play the role of ref assessor from high in the main stand...Verdict..Hicks is often a ###### ref and needs dropping to the Championship.

They say you are what you drink. I'm assuming you drink bitter.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

A step by step guide.

Player 1 kicks ball

TG 1 calls offside to ref for player 2

Ref aware player 2 offside

Player 1 overtakes player 2

Player 2 now onside

Ref no penalty

Didn’t watch the game, didn’t see the incident, But I’m confused, as I always am,  about the playing onside, which I thought was a RU rule. Not being adversarial here, genuinely puzzled: where in the rules does it say the kicker can play a team-mate onside?

From the rl laws

When off side 1. A player is off side except when he is in his own ingoal if the ball touches, is touched, held or kicked, by one of his own team behind him.

Out of Play 2. An off side player shall not take any part in the game or attempt in any way to influence the course of the game. He shall not encroach within ten metres of an opponent who is waiting for the ball and shall immediately retire ten metres from any opponent who first secures possession of the ball.

Placed onside 3. An off side player is placed onside if:

(A) an opponent moves ten metres or more with the ball.

(B) an opponent touches the ball without retaining it.

© one of his own team in possession of the ball runs in front of him.

(D) one of his own team kicks or knocks the ball forward and takes up a position in front of him in the field of play.

(E) he retires behind the point where the ball was last touched by one of his own team.

And from the notes:

“Down town” Any player who is in front of the kicker in general play is not permitted to advance beyond the point of the previous play-the- ball until the ball has gone past the off side players. This rule delays the movement of the off side players downfield in an attempt to encircle the ball receiver as he collects the ball.

How much does he get paid?

Fans of the losing team have been known to moan more about the ref than about their own team, of course, probably from the very beginning of the sport. It's easy and lazy to do so. Players get rightly criticised on here for questioning refs decisions. There wasn't much of that on the pitch last night, so why not take a leaf out of their book? It's not smart, it's not clever, and it probably gives people the wrong impression about you. Get over it.

Whilst I'm disappointed with the result, I can live with the decisions of the ref on the day yesterday. I haven't re-watched the game, but whilst I got the sense that there was errors in Hicks game - I believe he reffed it reasonably consistently and that whatever level he is at, he was at that level for both teams.

I think Leeds have a good team on paper, but are really missing that organising half-back - much as we are with Terry "biscuit legs" Campese sat in the stands. I think had both teams had this their seasons could have been different/better (well they couldn't have been much worse!) As it was, Leeds just had the better defence of the 2 teams and that ability to finish when given a half chance or presented an error by their opponents - whereas we had our chances and didn't have the composure to take them. 

Onto the middle 8s - I suppose it will be an exciting competition, but one which I will be going into with a fair level of trepidation!

A hard fought contest which was won by Leeds' experience and composure. The key point for me was when we were on the Leeds line with plenty of tackles remaining and Joe Cator kicking instead of passing or going for the line himself.

I saw enough in this game though to be reasonably confident about the middle 8s.

great game for us neutrals , with a few dodgy calls . only minor quibble as a few on here seem to agree on , the strips were far to similar causing a few players to pass to the opposition , please don t change strips unless there is a colour clash , it happens a lot these days .

great game for us neutrals

I'll go along with that!

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Archived