Is there a salary cap

toffee

Just seen leigh have a signed a nrl player tickle and dawson from saint helens as well as travis burns on loan . Seriously how and were is this money coming from. Surely these players must be on big money im just confused how they are getting under this so called cap.? .if i was a leigh fan i might be worried are we doing a salford here ?? If its under fair play

IIRC the Leigh owner said he would smash the salary cap, just like the Salford owner.

Leigh have done well for themselves this last few years and I have no beef with that and at this time of the year they are not the only ones stacking their team.

We have been rather quite on that front, but to honest I prefer it our way.

Sure i read/heard somewhere that the salary cap will be 1.8 million for all 3 divisions, the cynics would assume its to help Toulouse gain Super League Status as theres probably only them and possibly Leigh could raise that sort of money for players

Thats from next season.as i read . My.point is how can u have numerous ex international.players on fulltime wages but still find room.for tickle this nrl.player and matty dawson.. either they are not on great contracts or creative accountacy . I bewildered how they manage to be under the cap.

Let Leigh spend it, still won't get to the promised land. Competition is scewed so nobody will go up or down. Maybe if someone goes bust, but Leigh know about their bacon being saved that way already. Wonder if they could be fortunate again?

I have a feeling that Leigh will go up this season with a victory over Hull KR in the so-called 'Million Pound Game'. The Robins look really vulnerable.

What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

Let Leigh spend it, still won't get to the promised land. Competition is scewed so nobody will go up or down. Maybe if someone goes bust, but Leigh know about their bacon being saved that way already. Wonder if they could be fortunate again?

Only Leigh have survived in such circumstances have they?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I think its great teams in our league can spend up to the full cap and in actual fact all credit to DB because he must be putting a ton of money in to Leigh because there is not a chance in hell that they are making enough money to get anywhere near the top salary cap limit. The other question re the cap is that the RFL said they changed the rules so that big money backers could come in to lower clubs and be allowed to spend a ton of money, so why is it not the same for SL?

Only Leigh have survived in such circumstances have they?

I'm not sure which Bacon circumstances we are referring to in regards to Leigh....

maybe doggystyle or BSJ can enlighten us...??

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

I think its great teams in our league can spend up to the full cap and in actual fact all credit to DB because he must be putting a ton of money in to Leigh because there is not a chance in hell that they are making enough money to get anywhere near the top salary cap limit. The other question re the cap is that the RFL said they changed the rules so that big money backers could come in to lower clubs and be allowed to spend a ton of money, so why is it not the same for SL?

It is. There is a £1.85M cap provided that this doesn't exceed 50% of turnover.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Lets face it 3 time winners they deserve a shot you lot forget about Leigh and do what you have to do.

You know what, I totally agree.

Give them their shot.

Who cares?

Lets concentrate on us and the fantastic season weve had.

Bloody hell this time last year we were up to our necks in relegation poo!!!

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

It is. There is a £1.85M cap provided that this doesn't exceed 50% of turnover.

No I mean if they are letting people come in to pee their money away then it should be the same for SL, by that if someone has means to spend more than the current cap then they should be allowed.

No I mean if they are letting people come in to pee their money away then it should be the same for SL, by that if someone has means to spend more than the current cap then they should be allowed.

So you would advocate no cap of any sort then?

So you would advocate no cap of any sort then?

I think there has to be a cap yes, but the RFL cant come out with the BS they did regarding the lower leagues saying that it gives people with money the chance to spend it. We all know the cap has been raised because of Toronto and Toulouse so in my opinion if SL teams have people willing to spend money then they should be able to. Maybe if the RFL instead filtered more money down to the Championships it would have the required result of having 2 very good competitions.

The championship has been pretty good this season IMHO. Nobody could go anywhere without any hope of a win. We took 2 points off of both Leigh and London and dropped 2 points against Oldham and Swinton, we also had 2 wins against Whitehaven by a single point. The remaining 2 middle 8 places could still be won by any of 4 teams on the final day of the season. By anyone's standard's, that's a pretty competitive division. The gap in funding between the top 6 and bottom 6 needs sorting out though, as the disparity is far too big. No sour grapes from me, as we will do really well financially out of it this season, but for the good of the game the money should be split more equally between all of the clubs. The central funding money in SL is not divvied out depending on where clubs finish, so why is it different in the championship? Batley have completed a bona fide miracle this season, but it won't happen very often, if ever again in my lifetime.

Great post from was it 3rd or 4th from bottom last year . But we chose the right players and havnt sheffield suffered for going full time lose over 3 quarters of there squad which us and fev benifited from. I beileve you need good players but great team spirit if said fev would win there last 3 games you would say no chance .shows what great spirit batley and fev have and dared to dream and realise these dreams . Onward and upwards for both clubs

The championship has been pretty good this season IMHO. Nobody could go anywhere without any hope of a win. We took 2 points off of both Leigh and London and dropped 2 points against Oldham and Swinton, we also had 2 wins against Whitehaven by a single point. The remaining 2 middle 8 places could still be won by any of 4 teams on the final day of the season. By anyone's standard's, that's a pretty competitive division. The gap in funding between the top 6 and bottom 6 needs sorting out though, as the disparity is far too big. No sour grapes from me, as we will do really well financially out of it this season, but for the good of the game the money should be split more equally between all of the clubs. The central funding money in SL is not divvied out depending on where clubs finish, so why is it different in the championship? Batley have completed a bona fide miracle this season, but it won't happen very often, if ever again in my lifetime.

I agree pretty much with what you have said and the Championship has been a very competitive league but the RFL have to help to get it to the point where not only is it competitive but there needs to be teams in it that are capable of getting in to SL. Leigh probably are not far off but IMO there is still a gap between them and the bottom 4 in SL but then the rest there is a massive gulf. In my eyes more funding for Championship leads to an increase in playing standards which in turn would hopefully see a rise in attendances and that in itself would help each team raise their standards.

I agree pretty much with what you have said and the Championship has been a very competitive league but the RFL have to help to get it to the point where not only is it competitive but there needs to be teams in it that are capable of getting in to SL. Leigh probably are not far off but IMO there is still a gap between them and the bottom 4 in SL but then the rest there is a massive gulf. In my eyes more funding for Championship leads to an increase in playing standards which in turn would hopefully see a rise in attendances and that in itself would help each team raise their standards.

In all honesty, the game needs to be run by an independent body, away from the SL elite making decisions about what is good for everyone else in the game. I truly believe the game is only as strong as its weakest club and the current strategy of ploughing nearly all of the money in to the top tier is extremely short sighted. The salary cap should include every player on a teams books, not just the top 25 wage earners, that would help to spread what little talent is available throughout the game and ensure the best players are playing most weeks, helping younger players to develop and help to improve the standard across the whole game and mean clubs would not have to DR to prop up under strength squads. Maybe even a prerequisite of being in SL is all teams have to run a second team in order to get in, but as all players would count against the salary cap, Championship clubs would have a fair crack of signing the better junior talent available and mean the likes of Wigan and Leeds would need to be a little more selective about which lads they sign on, if they still want to pay top money for 3rd rate NRL imports, rather than just hoovering most of it up in the hope one in 40 makes it to their first team eventually and it not costing them against the cap. The problem is, the teams that have the say in how to run the game have the most to lose and will not want to risk losing that, so the good of the game is never going to be at the forefront of decision making.

Archived