Brexit - the negative thread

But Hammond has dropped Osbourne's budget targets already?  Or so I thought.  All the rubbish about balancing the books dropped and forgotten.  The idealogical fiscal rules dumped too. 

Yes all that guff in 2010 about the country being about to go the way of Greece was exactly that - guff.  It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic for all those who've felt the affects of Osborne's austerity. The very people so it seems who tipped the balance for leave in the referendum.  I was talking to a guy last night.  An intelligent man, a former teacher, he said there weren't enough doctors to go round because of all the immigrants,  

Not only were the cuts bad for the less well off, they prolonged the recession, all in aid of something it turns out doesn't really matter and was just another of Dave and Gideon's political wheezes.  They make me sick.  Party before country.  That's what you get every time with the Tories

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh come on, posting anything from the Mirror is as bad a posting anything from the Sun. Both are about as believable as the tooth fairy and as truthful as an MP !

But The Mirror aren't the primary source for the figures, The Resolution Foundation are. The Resolution Foundation are a think tank headed by that well known leftie David Willets. :rolleyes:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Exclusive: what Theresa May really thinks about Brexit shown in leaked recording

“I think the economic arguments are clear,” she said. “I think being part of a 500-million trading bloc is significant for us. I think, as I was saying to you a little earlier, that one of the issues is that a lot of people will invest here in the UK because it is the UK in Europe.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

But The Mirror aren't the primary source for the figures, The Resolution Foundation are. The Resolution Foundation are a think tank headed by that well known leftie David Willets. :rolleyes:

Completely spun to make it sound like Brexit is the only cause, despite them admitting we were unlikely to meet the targets even before the referendum. 

The mirror and the sun aren't even fit for wiping my ###### with, complete and utter garbage.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Oh look.  Mark Carney starts speaking - this time to a House of Lords Committee - and the £ falls.

Torygraph headline this morning "Pound rebounds after Carney speech to Lords" suggests otherwise. He said that he thinks the markets over-reacted to May's speech at the Conservative Party conference.

Torygraph headline this morning "Pound rebounds after Carney speech to Lords" suggests otherwise. He said that he thinks the markets over-reacted to May's speech at the Conservative Party conference.

I was reading the BBC's live business text at the time I posted and the £ dropped in value when he was at the committee meeting, and not even any specific monetary policy was discussed.  It's just every time he speaks, the £ drops.  It may have rallied subsequently but at the time I posted I had dropped to just over 1.20.

I was reading the BBC's live business text at the time I posted and the £ dropped in value when he was at the committee meeting, and not even any specific monetary policy was discussed.  It's just every time he speaks, the £ drops.  It may have rallied subsequently but at the time I posted I had dropped to just over 1.20.

OK, so pound drops when Carney speaks ....Bad. He's talking Britain down.

Pound tanks when UK votes for Brexit...Good The pound was over valued and it helps exports.

Is that how it works?

Completely spun to make it sound like Brexit is the only cause, despite them admitting we were unlikely to meet the targets even before the referendum.

The mirror and the sun aren't even fit for wiping my ###### with, complete and utter garbage.

Same story from the Guardian: Philip Hammond could face £84bn black hole following Brexit vote

Is that better?

Economically, the best option was to remain in the EU.  However, there are other arguments for leaving the EU:

- Such economic forces can lead to a loss of sovereignty. Taking the economic hit is worth it to preserve the independence of Britain.

- It leaves the possibility of a Government being elected that would want to limit cheap labour being imported and large scale immigration.

If these things mean more than the economics, Brexit is still worth it.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I think you may be over simplifying it there bob, but i do agree with your broader hypothesis.

I know a lot who suggest ditching the eu is worth a financial hit.

Im reminded of the tory voter on question time who.lambasted the tories cos the cuts affected her directly.

When that "financial hit" affect those brexiters i know where it hurts, i suspect there may be some recalibration of thought...

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Wise beyond your years bob :drag:  A couple of weeks ago I booked flights to go see number 2 son in malaga, Drop in pound was never a consideration. I will adjust accordingly..............suggest others look at life the same way

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

Wise beyond your years bob :drag: A couple of weeks ago I booked flights to go see number 2 son in malaga, Drop in pound was never a consideration. I will adjust accordingly..............suggest others look at life the same way

No. This is the negative thread....

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Wise beyond your years bob :drag:  A couple of weeks ago I booked flights to go see number 2 son in malaga, Drop in pound was never a consideration. I will adjust accordingly..............suggest others look at life the same way

You missed a chance there!  I hope you insisted the pints were on him!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

OK, so pound drops when Carney speaks ....Bad. He's talking Britain down.

Pound tanks when UK votes for Brexit...Good The pound was over valued and it helps exports.

Is that how it works?

yup. Carney disagreed so is now subject to a sustained character assassination campaign.

Economically, the best option was to remain in the EU.  However, there are other arguments for leaving the EU:

- Such economic forces can lead to a loss of sovereignty. Taking the economic hit is worth it to preserve the independence of Britain.

- It leaves the possibility of a Government being elected that would want to limit cheap labour being imported and large scale immigration.

If these things mean more than the economics, Brexit is still worth it.

Economically in the short term the status quo was always going to be the best option simply because of the way market traders react (or generally over-react). Rarely do the markets make decisions for the long term, they knew how much money we would be putting into the EU this week, this month, this year and they like the 'known' because they are only interested in how much money they can make that hour or that day, its one of the down sides of a free market economy.

Setting aside other factors such as immigration, sovereignty etc. there are differing opinions on the economic benefits (or dis-benefits depending on your point of view) of leaving the EU in the long term. Some see it as a risk because there are still many unknowns in terms of future trade deals, while others (myself included) see it as an opportunity to set our own path and make future decisions that are purely for our benefit. 

I obviously can't speak for other 'leavers' but for me I'm happy to accept the short term volatility in the markets with the belief that in the long term we will be better off out (and by long term I don't mean a couple of years from now I'm talking future generations.

Nobody can predict the future, my belief may be proved wrong, but equally so could those of the 'remainers' as they have no idea what future path or issues may occur across Europe and what decisions may be taken there. Its not that long ago many 'experts' were saying it would be disasterous for Britain to not join the Euro, that we would be left behind and our economy would fall behind the Eurozone countries, but it turned out to be the best economic decision we ever made. Relatively speaking we've prospered while they've stagnated and in some cases crashed.

Economically in the short term the status quo was always going to be the best option simply because of the way market traders react (or generally over-react). Rarely do the markets make decisions for the long term, they knew how much money we would be putting into the EU this week, this month, this year and they like the 'known' because they are only interested in how much money they can make that hour or that day, its one of the down sides of a free market economy.

Setting aside other factors such as immigration, sovereignty etc. there are differing opinions on the economic benefits (or dis-benefits depending on your point of view) of leaving the EU in the long term. Some see it as a risk because there are still many unknowns in terms of future trade deals, while others (myself included) see it as an opportunity to set our own path and make future decisions that are purely for our benefit.

I obviously can't speak for other 'leavers' but for me I'm happy to accept the short term volatility in the markets with the belief that in the long term we will be better off out (and by long term I don't mean a couple of years from now I'm talking future generations.

Nobody can predict the future, my belief may be proved wrong, but equally so could those of the 'remainers' as they have no idea what future path or issues may occur across Europe and what decisions may be taken there. Its not that long ago many 'experts' were saying it would be disasterous for Britain to not join the Euro, that we would be left behind and our economy would fall behind the Eurozone countries, but it turned out to be the best economic decision we ever made. Relatively speaking we've prospered while they've stagnated and in some cases crashed.

If your so confident it'll work out can you at least explain why, there is nothing in the above to explain why you think this will be to the economic benefit of the UK, just a disclaimer that any benefits are so far away that no one here will be around to judge, which conveniently means brexit voters can sidestep any responsibility for their decision.

In your opinion what are the top 3 economic opportunities presented by brexit?

If your so confident it'll work out can you at least explain why, there is nothing in the above to explain why you think this will be to the economic benefit of the UK, just a disclaimer that any benefits are so far away that no one here will be around to judge, which conveniently means brexit voters can sidestep any responsibility for their decision.

In your opinion what are the top 3 economic opportunities presented by brexit?

Some things will obviously depend on any final deal with the EU, but in general;

- Deals made by the EU aren't necessarily in the best interests of Britain but we're bound by them while we're in. Leaving doesn't hamper us by this.

- Having the freedom to make our own trade deals in the future presents a far bigger opportunity to grow our economy in a way that is best suited for us. The Global economy and global trade dwarfs that of the EU and given our global trade market is growing year after year while our EU trade market is shrinking we can position ourselves better to get a bigger share of the global market.

- We're not hamstrung by having to get 27 other countries to agree everything.

- We're not tied to a stagnant EU economy that has numerous countries who have very weak economies and could crash at any time.

- We're not subsidising other EU countries to the tune of over £9Bn a year

- We have little to no control over our borders with regards to EU citizens coming to the UK.

I'll still be around, and working when I believe the country will start to reap the benefits of leaving the EU so I made my decision to vote leave based not only on what I believe will be better for the country in the long term but also myself.

You may disagree with the above, but they are my beliefs and they are every bit as valid as yours or anyone elses on here because neither you or anyone else can predict what will actually happen. 

Remainers consistently point to this expert or that expert to warn of the reasons why we shouldn't brexit, but at the end of the day those experts have based their opinions solely on their beliefs and their guesswork nothing more. They don't know whether the Italian banks will crash or whether Greece will default on its debt payments, or whether the economies of Portugal or Spain will crash into deep recession throwing the whole EU into crisis. Similarly they don't know whether Britain will end up signing really favourable trade deals with the like of the US, Canada, Chine, India etc. which will see our global trade rocket.

Make sure you post in the right thread. :-)

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The people of Sunderland voted out, now we the taxpayers are going to be subsiding/compensating Nissan for the future.

Now that is having your own cake..  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The growth figures weren't disappointing though. They were better than in Q1.  And the £ hovered at 1.22 so that's hardly a slump!

The growth figures weren't disappointing though. They were better than in Q1.  And the £ hovered at 1.22 so that's hardly a slump!

May I direct you to the positive thread:

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=288358&p=3425917

The people of Sunderland voted out, now we the taxpayers are going to be subsiding/compensating Nissan for the future.

Now that is having your own cake..  

You do realise the Government paid a grant and subsidy to get them to Sunderland in the first place in the 80's and has regularly done the same to encourage other big business to the UK since.

Archived