Sign in to follow this  
Havenfan10

James Tilley

One of our best  this season, great player brilliant tackler and hardly ever gives away a penalty,

good level headed lad.. Our Loss...

we seem to be losing a lot of our 'Heroes' from this season... :angry:

Thanks lads sounds a good player. Yea we've signed roper what's he like? They say he can play half back or hooker. Think he will be our no7 next season.

James Tilley was a very good player for us last year. He is one I definitely would have retained. Roper didn't play much for us last year as he was at Oldham most of the season.

Edited by Pedro

I'm another one who is sorry that James Tilley is moving on. A very hard working, durable, versatile player who gives you 100% all the time. Whoever comes in to replace some of the lads that have left will have big shoes to fill.

Can't say much about Steve Roper these days. He didn't play much. I think like most scrum halves if he's playing behind a good pack he can shine. If the forwards are going backwards it's a struggle.

Tilley has been in and around the club for a few years now, initially on dual reg from Saints and then as a fully fledged Hornet. He did a fair bit in the community for us also and I think was the ladies team coach.

For me its a blow, he's the sort of unsung solid player you don't seem to notice until he doesn't play. Unspectacular with ball in hand yet rock solid and never takes a backward step and really puts his body on the line. A real tackling machine which is probably his strong point. Always a really nice quite lad when you talk to him off the field also.

Roper has baffled me to be honest, he was ok in his first spell a few years ago although seemed to reach the end of the road with us and Talbot moved him on when Ryan Millard signed, I'm not sure what he gave us at 7 back then TBH and just seemed to ship the ball on, maybe that was more to do with the modern No 7's role and the way Tol used to have us set up, than Ropers own ability. However whenever he played against us for the Biffo's he looked a good un (typical!)

It didn't really work out for him this season we had a fairly settled 6 and 7 and he wasn't getting in between them joining us so late on. When he did come on as sub it was clear he was playing catch up with the structure and set plays, which is just down to familiarity of a new set-up I guess. Did some time off the bench at No 9 also where he did nothing wrong, but nothing special either. Again another good bloke who will always do a job I guess.

Its interesting to see we are losing a few of the current squad, looks like we are (I hope) trying to get some championship calibre players in, I really hope it works out as its going to be radical change of the guard, so to speak. We will need to hit the ground running for sure with a lot of new faces....interesting times ahead.

JT's a machine: 35+ tackles every week and chips in with the odd try too. Much under-rated - rock solid grafter. Gutted to see him leave - feels like a sweeping of the decks.

Also gutted to see James Tilley leave. He was probably our most improved and consistent player last season.

The broom sweeping our club is getting dirtier by the minute and does nothing but put Hornets in a very poor light.

This is a difficult subject but every season players come and go.

Realistically Hornets have to strengthen significantly in order to

compete in the Championship and in general I think the signings

already announced do just that.

None of us want Hornets to be cannon fodder next season.

I am not privy to player contracts, without that knowledge its hard to

pass comment without prejudice on players leaving, unless the board

and coaching staff wish to give us their reasons as to why they have

not re-signed certain players.

The harsh truth (and it is very harsh after last seasons exploits), is that

some of last seasons Champ1 winning squad, in the view of the coaching

staff, have too many deficiencies to contribute to a successful season

in a markedly more difficult competition and surely the coaching

staff deserve the supporters trust after overseeing such a successful

campaign last year.

It's up to the coach to prove most of us wrong and bring in better players than the ones released. Without naming names a couple of those guys had earned a shot at the bigger league in my opinion.

Having said that the coach got us promoted against all the odds, I didn't.

Really fair points there Popeye and Tyrone.

Personally I can see both sides of this, Killer is the coach and has to build a squad which will make us ready and longer term competitive in the Championship, and we do have to trust him to do it. Ultimately staying up or not will be the indicator if this is the correct approach or not.

It certainly won't be sentiment that keeps us up that's for sure.

From a fans point of view it's always tough when players who've done the business for us over the last few years move on, its natural and progressive it's just some of the alleged methods of doing this just don't sit right.

Really interesting times ahead, I'm really quite hopeful of giving it a real go next season. killer has certainly instilled a bit of steel and professionalism into the club, I've got my season ticket and will look forward to seeing it all unfold.

Surely a coach who has won you promotion has to be trusted to take the squad to the next level ? Squads evolve and sometimes tough decisions have to be made. Houles at Toulouse insists his present squad is good enough to compete in the Championship so no players will be brought in. It will be interesting to see how both clubs get on next season with their different approaches.

Just reading James Tilleys stats in the end of season pamphlet -

Top tackler with 643 tackles, next best had 468.

Fourth best ball carrier with 251 carries making 1255 metres.

Top of the 75 club list with a score of 99 against Keighley.

Four other mentions in a list of 18 players.

Thanks for everything James, you'll be missed at Hornets.

Good luck with ' Haven.

A good, steady stand off with a great kicking game. Our captain until a week or two back. You could say the pressure kicks he took in the final got us promoted. He rises to the occasion in big games. No problem with discipline or attitude etc. If he had a yard more pace he would have been too good to have played for us in the first place.

He had a spell with us at hooker a while back and he did really well in my opinion. That could be his best position now.

Off the field a really nice, pleasant, polite guy who will be a credit to any club. Most of the speccies down here were really disappointed he won't be here next season.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Really disappointed that Paul Crook is leaving us. A player with a good rugby brain. As Tyrone said with a yard more pace he could have played at the top level. I think that he could have done a good job for us this year. With Paul Crook and James Tilley you have two very good players. I wish them both well as they always gave their best for us. I think that Carl Forster is recruiting well. I have a lot of time for Carl as when he was on dual reg with us he always gave 100%.

Really disappointed that Paul Crook is leaving us. A player with a good rugby brain. As Tyrone said with a yard more pace he could have played at the top level. I think that he could have done a good job for us this year. With Paul Crook and James Tilley you have two very good players. I wish them both well as they always gave their best for us. I think that Carl Forster is recruiting well. I have a lot of time for Carl as when he was on dual reg with us he always gave 100%.

I agree with all of that.

Cook and particularly Tilley has offered an awful lot to not only the team but the club and the community. .

A factor in both are leaving i tend to think is there lack of pace. I have thought at times this year Crook has looked too slow so next year he would really have struggled. Tilley not so much but still not the the most light on his feet.

Im just thankfull Hornets have a coach with the balls to make decisions not based on sentiment but on what he believes is needed on the field.