Who Trusts Labour?

22 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Indeed.  Which is why I do not list it actually. 

I was in Portsmouth recently on business.  In the factory I was in, a large portion of the work force were East European.  Someone visiting from a suburb or village or would not see that, but they would see the taxi drivers (Romanian), the serving staff etc.  Of course, this is misleading.  The vast majority are still Brits and local Brits and the country is not being taken over. 

I am not shocked people are voting for Brexit in this context, nonsense though I think it is.

The thing I've noticed working at a university is that if you want to progress you either need an upper-middle class British accent or a foreign accent. Working class British accents are very much frowned upon, but barely being able to speak English is seen as okay. Clearly this isn't either representative of every area of work or the fault of immigrants but it's not surprising that there is more opposition to immigration from working class people than there is from middle class people

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, bowes said:

The thing I've noticed working at a university is that if you want to progress you either need an upper-middle class British accent or a foreign accent. Working class British accents are very much frowned upon, but barely being able to speak English is seen as okay. Clearly this isn't either representative of every area of work or the fault of immigrants but it's not surprising that there is more opposition to immigration from working class people than there is from middle class people

I agree with this.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

38 minutes ago, bowes said:

The thing I've noticed working at a university is that if you want to progress you either need an upper-middle class British accent or a foreign accent. Working class British accents are very much frowned upon, but barely being able to speak English is seen as okay.

Progress in what: life or at a university? If the former then I think that is a load of rubbish.

We have collegues who's verbal english isn't great.  Why are they employed?  Because sat on a keyboard they can interrogate routers and switches with the best of them.

Also the 'foreigners' attending UK universities tend to be students from the top end of that countries education system.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

34 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Progress in what: life or at a university? If the former then I think that is a load of rubbish.

It's certainly true if you want to progress in a job at a university. Not so true in a private company 

1 hour ago, bowes said:

It's certainly true if you want to progress in a job at a university. Not so true in a private company 

It has been my experience more so in private companies than in Universities.  My experience in Oxford industry was that a working class lad excelling in his role was seen as a perfect fit, whereas a posh person excelling in their role was seen as perfect for promotion.

Oxford University was strange.  Frighteningly for all sorts of reasons, within a week or two, I seemed to be accepted into the Oxford academia party circle (most locals assumed I was working at Rover or as a bus driver), but they were incredibly Ivory Tower - but only through circumstance rather than willfully.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

22 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It has been my experience more so in private companies than in Universities.  My experience in Oxford industry was that a working class lad excelling in his role was seen as a perfect fit, whereas a posh person excelling in their role was seen as perfect for promotion.

Oxford University was strange.  Frighteningly for all sorts of reasons, within a week or two, I seemed to be accepted into the Oxford academia party circle (most locals assumed I was working at Rover or as a bus driver), but they were incredibly Ivory Tower - but only through circumstance rather than willfully.

Was this when you were working on your feminine toilet essentials or during your time cloning Angelina Jolie and working with cetacean/crustacean hybrids?

24 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Was this when you were working on your feminine toilet essentials or during your time cloning Angelina Jolie and working with cetacean/crustacean hybrids?

Both.

Really.

Sort of.

I dont think Manchester University has ever been like that. Things are changing at Oxbridge, especially with the likes of Greenhead college getting results like this.

www.greenhead.ac.uk/enrichment/oxbridge_offers.htm

Labour will shoot itself in the foot several times in the next few weeks.

For TV journalists will trick Thornberry and Abbott into looking like they know nothing about the real world and/or showiing that they are not on top of their brief. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Then, for dessert,  we'll have Harman and Umunga demonstrating that they are living in the world of Bertie Wooster.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

21 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Labour will shoot itself in the foot several times in the next few weeks.

For TV journalists will trick Thornberry and Abbott into looking like they know nothing about the real world and/or showiing that they are not on top of their brief. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Then, for dessert,  we'll have Harman and Umunga demonstrating that they are living in the world of Bertie Wooster.

All the while the Tories will continue to do only set piece events in front of members and gentle interviews with friendly sections of the media (like John Humphrys ridiculous 'chat over a coffee' with Boris this morning).

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Please remember that this is cookey's irrational rant thread about Labour, the proper thread is down a bit...  Try not to confuse the two!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

19 minutes ago, JohnM said:

So its ok to post poll findings  or not? It's not an irrational rant.  It's a public service. On that basis alone, this left dominated forum should be issuing congratulations. 

Post them where you want but don't complain about me ignoring irrational rants on here.  You complained a while ago about the forum being too anti-Tory but this thread was completely set up to just rant about Corbyn while the other Corbyn & Labour thread got on with the business of properly discussing Corbyn's, and Labour's, shortfallings.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Anothe however. I would trust Labour. The right sort of Labour, purged of the power and influence of trades union bosses and class warriors,  with local parties freed where if exists,  from Tammany Hall influences,  and with realstic, credible policies and achievable objectives delivery by someone capable, coherent and pragmatic.  Thsee people do exist.I might not agree with them nor them with me, but I'd trust them.

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Anothe however. I would trust Labour. The right sort of Labour, purged of the power and influence of trades union bosses* and class warriors,  with local parties freed where if exists,  from Tammany Hall influences,  and with realstic, credible policies and achievable objectives delivery by someone capable, coherent and pragmatic.  Thsee people do exist.I might not agree with them nor them with me, but I'd trust them.

I know there are plenty of people within the party that meet your criteria both in the PLP and the wider party. The trouble is that the noise surrounding Corbyn and his followers is almost completely drowning them out at the moment. Hopefully there will still be enough of them left after the election to pick up the pieces and begin the rebuilding process. 

* Not all trade union bossed are raging megalomaniacs, there are some reasonable ones who do genuinely want the best for their members and the industries in which they work. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

The vast majority of voters it would appear!

The amazing thing is that some Labourists are delighted that according to one poll,they are now just 16% down.Incidentally,a MORI poll on the same day puts the Tories 23% ahead.

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

I know there are plenty of people within the party that meet your criteria both in the PLP and the wider party. The trouble is that the noise surrounding Corbyn and his followers is almost completely drowning them out at the moment. Hopefully there will still be enough of them left after the election to pick up the pieces and begin the rebuilding process. 

* Not all trade union bossed are raging megalomaniacs, there are some reasonable ones who do genuinely want the best for their members and the industries in which they work. 

Understand that,  and there has been quite a long period relatively recently where  the TUC and individual  unions have been working hard, effectively  and honestly on behalf of their members. However, in the last few years,  there seems to have been in some cases a return to the bad old days.

13 hours ago, JohnM said:

Me.

Gasp!:O Yes, the choice between a rattle snake or a tarantula bite seems very easy for some people!;)

The rest of us just have to muddle along with the the ultimate question "Is that really it?"

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived