Sign in to follow this  
glemiln

Shaping up well

The squad for next season is shaping up well and at pace, with some renewal of contracts from this season's heroes and new additions.

For certain, we shall need to add extra levels of commitment, skill, pace and "beef' to meet the Championship challenges.

We survived in there 3 seasons ago only to be denied a place by RFL restructuring.  Since then the Championship has become much stronger.

So have we - and buoyed by promotion as Champions I am sure that Killer and co will be aiming for more than just survival.

The season ahead is long, especially so for for part-time players and strength in depth will be essential especially in the forwards.

Anyone have a list of the squad to date with expected playing positions and which can be updated regularly?

The fixtures for 2017 cannot be far away...should be interesting.

Below is the latest from the Hornet's web site. It seems like a reasonable squad. Not sure on all the playing positions.

INS

Lewis Palfrey, Gary Middlehurst, Jack Holmes (Oldham), Gavin Bennion, Ryan Maneely, Miles Greenwood, Jake Eccleston (Halifax), Jay Lobwein (Coventry Bears), Rob Massam (North Wales Crusaders), Luke Fowden (Salford academy), Paddy Jones (Wigan academy)

Retained

Chris Riley, Lewis Galbriath, Michael Ratu, Danny Yates, Ben Moores, Warren Thompson, Jono Smith, Jordan Case, Josh Crowley, Samir Tahraoui, Matty Hadden, Jo Taira, Dave Cookson, Jack Francis

OUT:

Wayne English (retired), Paul Crook, James Tilley, Steven Roper, Alex McClurg, Dale Bloomfield, James Dandy, Alex Trumper, Jake Shoel, Corey Lee 

Ca anyone tell me why Paul Crook is surplus to requirements ? He was MOM against Toulouse in the Final for me ..

Ca anyone tell me why Paul Crook is surplus to requirements ? He was MOM against Toulouse in the Final for me ..

Your guess is as good as mine. I would have kept him. Perhaps not the quickest but could have done a good job for us. Still has a good rugby brain.. As people have said if he had an extra yard of pace he could have been playing at the top level.

Squad looks exciting to me competition for every shirt and quality all over. I'd go with a starting 17 of

Greenwood

Riley

Ratu

Cookson

Massam

Yates

Palfrey

Tahraoui

Moores

Thompson

Crowley

Middlehurst

Smith

Taira

Hadden

Francis

Maneely

A good mix of power/pace/skill Tiger from an exciting squad - hopefully the new and "old" signings will gel and develop rapport quickly for the big tests ahead.

Some testing 'friendlies' for starters.  No easy league games next season - a good home record will be crucial, also the fixtures when we have to travel during Spotland's pitch renovation.  Perhaps, as newly promoted Champions :shout:, our enforced away days could start with a fixture at the televised May Bank Holiday " Blackpool Bash"?

A very exciting season ahead - but a long autumn/winter!