Big Accident

There was a nasty crash on Bohemia Rd, (A21) just near where I live. As I have the 'Nose' of the local newsdesk, I took some photos, and I have sent them to them.

A police officer approached me and said "what are you doing?", I replied, "Taking photographs for the press". He wasn't happy.

He asked me "Can I ask you your name and address?" I answered "Yes". He then asked me for them, and I refused citing freedom of the press. He asked me three more times & I refused.

He warned me about the victims rights etc & I told him I would make sure they are observed.

I went to the other side of the accident scene, and returned. whereupon I was told I am no longer welcome and was asked to leave.

I do take some Sports Pictures which have been published, but I've never had an incident that has happened almost, on my doorstep.

Am I a ghoul?

I sent the clearest 2 off to the Hastings observer.

They will not be published on here

Taking pics of others misfortune doesn't sit well with me and quite probably the policeman doing his job.

You were right to stand up to him as legally you were correct.

Morally, ethically?? I could live perfectly happy without seeing such pics...

Just my opinion. Nowt personal cocker

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Robin, I agree. But as it is one of our only routes out of the town (& there are only 3. One East, One West, One North), we need to know why our routes are blocked.

There was no photo of the victim, or their reg plate, so I think I am justified with a news story.

If someone was hurt in the accident, I would like to think that the policeman was thinking about the victims families seeing the photo and in those circumstances would back him.

If it was just a 'damage' accident, then can't see any harm in you taking them as long as you weren't in the way.

My brother in laws sisters husband was killed in an accident last year.  Someone took photos, no gore, just the smashed up cars, and sent them to the press, who published them.  Apparently it knocked the family sideways, seeing the pics in the local paper so soon after the accident. 

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

ET, I accept your point of view, and I understand. I wasn't in the way as the scene was cordoned off. The Victim was also removed before I took photos, I am NHS trained and understand empathy, especially as I am Theatre trained (Hence my name). I  Would never allow pictures of victims to be published, either in my name or otherwise.

Was I right in standing up to the Police?

Absolutely, the police have no rights whatsoever to stop you taking photographs in a public place, no matter how unsavoury it may be.

The copper involved needs to go away and learn the law on the subject. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Could you not have flashed your NUJ card or shown him you were working for the paper some other way for a quiet life?

Or you just leave it to the paper to actually pay someone to rock up and photograph it if they actually care sufficiently to fork out some cash to get the pics.

Was I right in standing up to the Police?

Imagine if one of your family members way lying in the street slowly dying from injuries from an accident. Some nosey local wanted to just stand there and take pictures and then publish them across social media for all to see.

Ask yourself would you be happy to watch your loved ones suffering and dying breath be played out in the public eye?

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Imagine if one of your family members way lying in the street slowly dying from injuries from an accident. Some nosey local wanted to just stand there and take pictures and then publish them across social media for all to see.

Ask yourself would you be happy to watch your loved ones suffering and dying breath be played out in the public eye?

That isn't the point.

The point is that the copper had no right in law to stop him.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

That isn't the point.

The point is that the copper had no right in law to stop him.

Yes but he wasn't using the law to stop him was he?

He didn't say he would arrest him if he stayed there, he was probably doing what plenty of others would do, asking someone to be reasonable and not take photographs of an accident that may well have caused someone's serious injury or even death.

Asking for a name was maybe his last resort to try and pursuade the photographer to move on.

As ST suggests, it sounds like he was just trying to protect the victim's families from any more upset.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Completely different scenario. The op has said no person was being photographed.

Completely different scenario. The op has said no person was being photographed.

Indeed, however, I'd still go and take a long hard look at myself in the mirror if I found myself photographing accident scenes as a hobby!

These days where news stories can appear online within minutes of the incident occurring I think people do need to be cautious and show some sensitivity. I appreciate here no one was killed and photos of the victim weren't shared but worst case scenario families need to find out the news through official channels with hopefully some support and not find out first by browsing a news website.

I agree the policeman in question could not legally stop photos being taken, not sure anyone is arguing that point.

These days where news stories can appear online within minutes of the incident occurring I think people do need to be cautious and show some sensitivity. I appreciate here no one was killed and photos of the victim weren't shared but worst case scenario families need to find out the news through official channels with hopefully some support and not find out first by browsing a news website.

I agree the policeman in question could not legally stop photos being taken, not sure anyone is arguing that point.

The question Bleep asked was, was he right to stand his ground with the copper, the answer is he was absolutely right. There have been numerous cases of plod over stepping the mark with people taking photographs in public spaces and people should tell them to jog off whenever they try it on.

Archived