Regionalise under Premier division

Read the context of the thread. I was saying that the RU League in question was semi-professional in the same way that the NCL is... this was an ironic statement (or a use of sarcasm)... because the league in question, like the NCL, is supposed to be amateur... but in fact (and unlike the NCL) many players receive significant wages from the companies of their committee members and sponsors.

I really hope this clears up your misunderstanding!

It's officially an open league. As yet there are no officially amateur leagues in RU but soon that will be brought in but only at the level below National 3. National 3 will have a £100,000 salary cap

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read the context of the thread. I was saying that the RU League in question was semi-professional in the same way that the NCL is... this was an ironic statement (or a use of sarcasm)... because the league in question, like the NCL, is supposed to be amateur... but in fact (and unlike the NCL) many players receive significant wages from the companies of their committee members and sponsors.

I really hope this clears up your misunderstanding!

I am under no illusions

I know I suggested county regionals but I would prefer the suggestion of west and east.

My club are looking at joining the Conference, we've always had a great youth but didnt want to travel that much at open age. We are almost being forced into looking at joining because of how the Cumbria league has gone this year. Non fulfilment of fixtures is killing the league, it would probably be good for us but we should be as a club wanting to join whole heartedly the flagship leagues.

Previously though the top regional teams have been of equal standard to the top premier leagues teams but recent seasons have seen that to not be the case anymore. So whence why we are looking at re-joining the Conference.

waddell

The game is in trouble at open age but that is not just down to RL .

Team sports in general at adult level are in decline .

As t NCL is its present form run its course ?

Has it outgrown itself at the expense of the regional competitions ?

To the best of my knowledge this year in the NCL we have seen unprecedented non fulfilment of games and clubs dropping out .

Imo it's time for a re think of the set up of the NCL .

I can only comment for Cumbria but the league is much worse without the conference teams in it, but I can't blame the 3 teams for wanting to play at a higher level and the top 2 leagues in the conference are at that level.

As for your team Joe you have a decent 14's but not much else and your first team got to 1 final this year but couldn't win anything in a the weakest league we've seen for years so adding in travelling might be deteimental

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

We have a very young side coming through and a much larger squad than we have had for a long time, I agree the league is weak but using a little bit of common sense means we don't want to waste another generation like we have in the past by not aiming for higher.

Not sure your on the same page as me about our youth, we have always been in the top 2-3 teams in every age group with many of the teams winning Cumbria cups. So what's the yard stick you're measuring it by?

waddell

Just saying apart from your 14s none of your other teams were anywhere near this year

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

The 16's weren't too shabby finishing 3rd so being the best south Cumbrian side. The 14's went unbeaten and we are

Competitive at every other age group. All I'm getting at is that we probably aim too low at open age level when you look at the 3 Cumbrian sides sitting in the top half of the Conference premier. Everyone needs a goal.

waddell

Yeah but after watching the origin game west cumbria put 50 odd points on Barrow so theres a gulf between West and south at that age and I watched kells beat your 14's so they disnt go unbeaten.

However theres nothing wrong with ambition just that kells brow and egremont were streets ahead of the rest of the comp when they stepped up

To be fair Gonch,Egremont weren't exactly pulling up tree's when they decided to renter the NCL,but it is a big step up for Cumbrian teams.If Barrow Island decide to go that route they are not going to do a Wath Brow/Kells and stroll through the divisions and need to plan accordingly.

Probably right mr davidson but they were very competitive in a strong cumbria league whereas the CML has been ###### poor this year tbh

Archived