President of USA (Merged threads)

Who will win?  

45 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who is going to win the US Presidential Election

• Trump (Republican)
    • Clinton (Democrat)
    • Don't care (English)

I'm no expert on the political process of the U.S. But I'm guessing that Hillary Clinton would have to get her tax policy through both the house and senate which could be a challenge. Especially if 1 or both are controlled by the republicans. Personally I just think she's paying lip service like Obama did with closing Guantanamo bay and single payer healthcare.

If the houses remain republican, she won't get anything through.  No budgets, supreme court judges, spending cuts, guns, tax changes....anything.

Of a total Hispanic/Latino born or heritage population of about 50 million in the USA, the Argentines comprise less than 250,000 so I doubt the Falklands will take up much oxygen in Wahsington.

Noticeable the lines forming to vote in the USA.  How can this happen in such a modern country? As far as I know, they have a lower turnout than us, yet we seem to manage without a 3hr queue in the rain?

I think it must be people trying to vote before work. We always have our elections on Saturdays so I've also never queued up like that.

Of a total Hispanic/Latino born or heritage population of about 50 million in the USA, the Argentines comprise less than 250,000 so I doubt the Falklands will take up much oxygen in Wahsington.

Trump could always take advice from Bill 'no spin' O'Reilly who covered the Falklands War.  In fact he was on the ground in the war zone.  Admittedly he was the only person to count Buenos Aires as being part of the war zone, but he wouldn't embellish would he?

I'm no expert on the political process of the U.S. 

Expert enough to declare it broken and in need of smashing several posts up, but without offering any alternative.

Noticeable the lines forming to vote in the USA.  How can this happen in such a modern country? As far as I know, they have a lower turnout than us, yet we seem to manage without a 3hr queue in the rain?

The population of the US is significantly bigger than the UK, which might have something to do with it.

The population of the US is significantly bigger than the UK, which might have something to do with it.

Yes but they also have major elections every 2 years so they must have endless data on numbers at various polling places. Part of the problem is that elections are run by States, cities and counties, so there aren't many national standards.

I hope you're right, but its symbolic importance may be more important than the numbers game.

If the houses remain republican, she won't get anything through.  No budgets, supreme court judges, spending cuts, guns, tax changes....anything.

If Clinton does win I can't see her getting anything done in 4 years and can see her being constantly investigated over her emails and the Clinton foundation. She could become a one-term president or even do a LBJ and not seek the democratic nomination for 2020.

The U.S. Electing its first female president will be about as positive as the U.S. Electing its first African American president. Not at all. The rich will be looked after and get richer while the working man/woman will get screwed over.

It's a matter of opinion, of course.

I'm not African American or female, but to those who are, I'd suggest it is probably slightly more inspiring to them than seeing another rich old white bloke in the White House.

Yes but they also have major elections every 2 years so they must have endless data on numbers at various polling places. Part of the problem is that elections are run by States, cities and counties, so there aren't many national standards.

Indeed.  Plenty of people vote in advance here, certainly more than I am aware of in the UK.  

Also, I think they are getting high turnout in areas that usually have a low turnout.

If Clinton does win I can't see her getting anything done in 4 years and can see her being constantly investigated over her emails and the Clinton foundation. She could become a one-term president or even do a LBJ and not seek the democratic nomination for 2020.

You're leaping ahead a bit there!

They have far fewer polling stations per head population, no uniform standards on how to run them and over-officious (and varied) ID procedures (and, to my mind, very confusing ballots).  It's a recipe for slowness that comes around even on a 50-60% turnout.

Expert enough to declare it broken and in need of smashing several posts up, but without offering any alternative.

I've stated several times in other threads that there needs to be real 3rd and 4th party's. A party for left-wing progressives and a party for the right-wing conservatives.

They have far fewer polling stations per head population, no uniform standards on how to run them and over-officious (and varied) ID procedures (and, to my mind, very confusing ballots).  It's a recipe for slowness that comes around even on a 50-60% turnout.

Some areas seem to have less per head, others more relative to the USA.  Nothing to do with the demographics of that area.  Nope nothing.  

The first results of the election have filtered through from three precincts in New Hampshire that open their voting booths at midnight.

Trump wins 32-25. In the same three precincts in 2012 Obama won 28-14.

I doubt whether we'll see that swing when the later results come in.

It's a matter of opinion, of course.

I'm not African American or female, but to those who are, I'd suggest it is probably slightly more inspiring to them than seeing another rich old white bloke in the White House.

Maybe but inspiration doesn't put food on the table or increase your hours of employment and pay for your rising healthcare bills, college tuition fees and living costs.

I've stated several times in other threads that there needs to be real 3rd and 4th party's. A party for left-wing progressives and a party for the right-wing conservatives.

I strongly disagree with the idea there should be a third party.  What people want is a party of ideological purity, but they cannot agree on which ideology.  There would need to be seven or eight and PR (which would still only apply in the Senate and House).

I've heard a lot of criticisms of Hilary Clinton but none of them have been about her gender. We have to accept bent lying politicians now simply because they are female? This is just quota nonsense. If a half decent female candidate was standing i don't believe her sex would be an issue, it's panic to think that no more women will stand a chance, just panic.

Again I must ask you,what proof you have that Hillary is 'bent,lying'?

The first results of the election have filtered through from three precincts in New Hampshire that open their voting booths at midnight.

Isn't New Hampshire considered to be a blue state??

Isn't New Hampshire considered to be a blue state??

It's trended blue but is behind the rest of New England in that movement and is the only state up there Trump could hope to win. It has a lot of very independent minded voters and can easily go to either party in the right circumstances. These early votes are rural areas. They are too small to prove anything but one could interpret that the rural swing towards Trump is taking place. Is the expected offsetting suburban swing to the Dems also happening? We'll have to wait and see.

It is remarkably early, is it not?

Clinton has won the island of Guam by a large majority.  The good news is that whoever wins Guam typically carries the day.  On the other hand, Guam's vote does not count and it is hardly typical of the nation.  

Writing from the California Valley, the rural urban split seems to be the big one.

It's trended blue but is behind the rest of New England in that movement and is the only state up there Trump could hope to win. It has a lot of very independent minded voters and can easily go to either party in the right circumstances. These early votes are rural areas. They are too small to prove anything but one could interpret that the rural swing towards Trump is taking place. Is the expected offsetting suburban swing to the Dems also happening? We'll have to wait and see.

I've just realized that it's Bernie sanders country and I wonder how many of the "Bernie or bust" people come from that state and if they'll write in bernie's name.