Who will win?  

45 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who is going to win the US Presidential Election

• Trump (Republican)
    • Clinton (Democrat)
    • Don't care (English)

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Eisenhower had almost 40 percent, so it's certainly possible. Trump's eight percent in 2016 was actually better than Mitt Romney achieved in 2012.

When you have full employment, Kermit the Frog could have pulled 40% of every demographic.

Re Romney: Given the history of the Mormons (I don't think blacks were admitted until the 1980s) it's hard to believe any of them voted for Mitt.

8 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

When you have full employment, Kermit the Frog could have pulled 40% of every demographic.

Re Romney: Given the history of the Mormons (I don't think blacks were admitted until the 1980s) it's hard to believe any of them voted for Mitt.

Unemployment in the UK right now is lower than Eisenhower era US achieved (and while I'm sure there are plenty on here who'll argue the figures are wrong, it's still the case that there are labour shortages & large numbers of unfilled jobs in many parts of the country.) Still plenty of people unhappy with elected politicians.

I don't think Romney did significantly worse than McCain in terms of numbers of black voters.

Edited by JonM

3 hours ago, JonM said:

Eisenhower had almost 40 percent, so it's certainly possible. Trump's eight percent in 2016 was actually better than Mitt Romney achieved in 2012.

Eisenhower was a war hero, a broadly popular public figure and not politically divisive or extreme. In fact, he was pursued as a candidate by both the Republicans and Democrats. He plumped for the former, in opposition to fellow-candidate Robert Taft's perceived isolationist tendencies.

20 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

The unemployment rate among African-Americans has fallen to its lowest rate since around 1972.

Along with the improvement in airline safety, this has got to be one of the keynote achievements of the Trump administration so far. I thank you for sharing it.

you are clearly knowledgeable about Mr Trump, so I wonder whether you would be kind enough to outline which of his social/economic policies brought this about? 

20 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

The National Review has a consistent record of being anti-Trump.

Perhaps the national review is anti Trump because he is a moron. The evidence is somewhat in their favour

Edited by Tongs ya bas

56 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Perhaps the national review is anti Trump because he is a moron. The evidence is somewhat in their favour

My impression is that National Review is rather pro-Trump.

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

My impression is that National Review is rather pro-Trump.

They were not pro trump during the nominations and primaries if I remember.  

• Like 1

Oprah is going to take him down...full suplex and then pile driver pulverizer, then twist his neck and rip out his hair...make him talk about some cook book, and then analyze his feelings with Dr.Phil: its the only way....its over.

• Haha 1

I love a good cliche as much as the next person but I started wondering, where did we use to throw people before buses were invented?

On the issue of USA employment figures, this is a pretty stunning graph which shows the effect of automation on oil rigs.

1*TKeXB4jzbsJKq6plJVXQCQ.jpeg

A lot of those would have been well-paid jobs, too. This article claims that 220,000 jobs have ceased to exist in 2 years, just on oil rigs in the USA. 

https://medium.com/basic-income/the-real-story-of-automation-beginning-with-one-simple-chart-8b95f9bad71b

40 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

On the issue of USA employment figures, this is a pretty stunning graph which shows the effect of automation on oil rigs.

1*TKeXB4jzbsJKq6plJVXQCQ.jpeg

A lot of those would have been well-paid jobs, too. This article claims that 220,000 jobs have ceased to exist in 2 years, just on oil rigs in the USA. 

https://medium.com/basic-income/the-real-story-of-automation-beginning-with-one-simple-chart-8b95f9bad71b

Having given a few talks in Texas, it is striking how most of the students are still very focussed on oil as their goal.  Biopharma is growing, oil may need fewer adn fewer people, yet oil has the greater recruitment "pipeline" (sorry).

If deep coal mining existed in the UK now, the ratio of coal produced to the number of jobs would be way higher than it was in the peak years of production.

Automation is as big a threat to jobs and wages as immigration. And robots don't pay tax (at least not yet...)

On 1/9/2018 at 4:21 PM, Farmduck said:

I love a good cliche as much as the next person but I started wondering, where did we use to throw people before buses were invented?

Under the horse and cart? :D

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Under the horse and cart? :D

Under the Moon of Love? :biggrin:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

How embarrassing is this for trump and his followers.

He doesn't even know the words to the USA national anthem, and he claims he's a patriot

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-42616112/did-president-trump-forget-the-words-to-the-national-anthem

There is no shortage of speculation that Trump is suffering from a degenerative disease, alzheimer's etc. Could this be a sign that he is a sick man?

12 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

There is no shortage of speculation that Trump is suffering from a degenerative disease, alzheimer's etc. Could this be a sign that he is a sick man?

I do think if Obama had done it, then Fox and the radio shows wouldn't of forgiven him.  However, I've seen at least one report saying that Trump is hard of hearing (you mean he isn't the healthiest president ever?  Like he said?) and the sound at pitch level was iffy.

5 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I do think if Obama had done it, then Fox and the radio shows wouldn't of forgiven him.  However, I've seen at least one report saying that Trump is hard of hearing (you mean he isn't the healthiest president ever?  Like he said?) and the sound at pitch level was iffy.

??? He got the first couple of lines right. Are you suggesting that he couldn't hear the band very well and assumed they'd just called a halt after 2 lines?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

??? He got the first couple of lines right. Are you suggesting that he couldn't hear the band very well and assumed they'd just called a halt after 2 lines?

I was trying to be fair to the infirm unhealthy lump... 

• Haha 1

The man genuinely does not seem well.  It has completely undermined any schadenfreude.

Norway will be the next bomb target for Trump, as he glared at their Prime Minister and said something about Water POWER.

They have had Hydro-electric power for half a century, but still prefer fossil fuels.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/donald-trump-reveals-norway-has-this-thing-called-water/ar-BBIdBXM?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartandhp