Who will win?  

45 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who is going to win the US Presidential Election

• Trump (Republican)
    • Clinton (Democrat)
    • Don't care (English)

2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Fake news, but there is a chap called Martyn in this thread who appears to be at best lukewarm on the theory of anthropogenic climate change -

Yes.

I am a scientist and agree that actually testing things against observable reality is the best way of testing them.

But, does that make them "feel" true?  If we take that as a measure, you and I have discussed with Martyn but the actual evidence we cite does not feel true.  And, to him, it is therefore not really evidence.  What would we know?  We are clearly guessing wrongly at this thoughts.

This is why what we might perceive as lying is actually merely saying knowingly something that does not match up with observable reality.

37 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

This is why what we might perceive as lying is actually merely saying knowingly something that does not match up with observable reality.

That could be anywhere between being delusional and poorly informed.

18 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

That could be anywhere between being delusional and poorly informed.

Most of the time there is not a right or wrong answer though. 

People interpret "evidence" differently or else there can be conflicting evidence. 

1 minute ago, Niels said:

Most of the time there is not a right or wrong answer though. 

People interpret "evidence" differently or else there can be conflicting evidence. 

Who mentioned anything about right or wrong?

The trouble with the media's desperation to get ahead of the competition in calling races (Fox news on Tuesday calling the House so early springs to mind) is that sometimes they give their little tick to a candidate which then goes on to lose.

There are still about 200,000 votes still to count in Arizona but the mail in votes and provisional votes which are being counted have leaned strongly Dem so far.

How the remaining 200,000 votes will split we don't know and the New York Times still hasn't called the Senate race there yet.

But they did call the Secretary of State race for the Republican. And after 500,000 or so of those mail-in votes have been counted since Tuesday that Republican is now behind. Time for a retraction and a removal of the little tick perhaps.

image.png.549506043a21968d5d386edccaf92b4b.png

If Katie Hobbs the Democrat wins that Arizona SOS race there is a funny old twist:

The Arizona governor Doug Ducey, a Republican, has just been re-elected to another four year term.

John McCain's old Senate seat filled, for now, by Jon Kyl is up for election in 2020. Kyl won't stand for election.

Because Ducey is term limited as Governor it was expected that he would run for that seat.

However Arizona doesn't have a post of Lieutenant Governor and instead the Secretary of State is second in the line of succession.

And it would be a bold Republican who would pass a governorship to the Democrats just so he can advance his own career. So Ducey is probably looking on with horror at the way the results are unfolding.

Edited by M j M

55 minutes ago, M j M said:

The trouble with the media's desperation to get ahead of the competition in calling races (Fox news on Tuesday calling the House so early springs to mind) is that sometimes they give their little tick to a candidate which then goes on to lose.

In one of the house races they declared the GOP as the winner, but voting now means the dem is in the lead.  The GOP lady is using the news declaring her seat as evidence that there is a conspiracy.  I've won, fox and CNN said so!

On 8/28/2018 at 9:54 AM, ckn said:

Same with the military veterans, clear extra funding for veterans' needs including direct funding for mental health, it's the sort of stuff every President has promised but has never followed through on.  There's never been a need to follow through before as "everyone knows" that the next guy in the big seat will make more promises and deliver the same or less.  There's a clear relief in many of these schemes across the country as the money is actually being seen and having benefits.  The Trump vote among the military and veterans will be going up at the next elections.

Trump has told the VA to prepare for cuts and to work out how to deliver them. 

10 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Fake news, but there is a chap called Martyn in this thread who appears to be at best lukewarm on the theory of anthropogenic climate change -

I'm not quite sure what that proves.

Anyway, here's a table that shows annual increases or reductions in CO2 emissions in 2017.

Interesting to see which country has the best record.

Perhaps its President should be your new hero.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Trump has told the VA to prepare for cuts and to work out how to deliver them. 

It's this kind of getting things done and not asking experts what they think before making decisions that I think we can all appreciate.

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Anyway, here's a table that shows annual increases or reductions in CO2 emissions in 2017.

Of course everyone knows that policy changes on climate emmissions and related standards kick in as soon as a new President takes office.

Given that he didn't assume office until January of that year those figures are the belong to the previous administration. You're not stupid enough to believe these things happen instantly.

If person A is 50kg overweight and person B is 5kg overweight, and person A loses 10kg but Person B only loses 5kg, does that mean Person A is healthier than Person B? I'm not even slightly surprised that USA had more fat to shed than Ukraine or Venezuela.

The US reduction would be part of the power stations; move from coal to gas. Also US coal production has been declining since 2006 so no individual can claim credit for it.

59 minutes ago, M j M said:

Of course everyone knows that policy changes on climate emmissions and related standards kick in as soon as a new President takes office.

So you didn't spot the slight touch of irony in my comment.

18 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Given that he didn't assume office until January of that year those figures are the belong to the previous administration. You're not stupid enough to believe these things happen instantly.

Ditto!

33 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

So you didn't spot the slight touch of irony in my comment.

I didn't realise we were to take you seriously but not literally.

7 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Links to tweet from a writer of 2 books which downplay the risks of climate change, a speaker of a lukewarm persuasion.  

giphy.gif

A poor choice of words in Mississippi of all places.

No-one got 50% of the vote in the special senate election there on Tuesday so Hyde-Smith and the Democrat Mike Espy (who I don't particularly rate as a candidate TBH) are heading to a run-off later this month.

Edited by M j M

6 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Links to tweet from a writer of 2 books which downplay the risks of climate change, a speaker of a lukewarm persuasion.  

giphy.gif

The default position for all scientists should be scepticism, which Lomborg adopts, rather than credulousness, which seems to be yours.

In any case, that table was not his work, but from a BP statistical report issued in June 2018.

If you had questioned how scientists could accurately measure each country's CO2 emissions in 2017 your post might have had more credibility.

26 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

The default position for all scientists should be scepticism, which Lomborg adopts, rather than credulousness, which seems to be yours.

Lomborg hasn't written a single scientific paper on climate change.

27 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

If you had questioned how scientists could accurately measure each country's CO2 emissions in 2017 your post might have had more credibility.

I answered that question when you asked it on the climate thread (9/9/18) -

It's not directly measured, its an estimate based on fuel burnt.  

The total levels in the atmosphere are measured, but measuring it at a country level is very difficult.  

• Like 1