Sign in to follow this  
roughyedspud

thank you richard lewis

10 years ago he disbanded GB because he thought it made more sense to push the 4 home nations as the main international teams rather than GB that didn't even play in the world cup..

fast forward 10 years...

the ENGLAND RL brand is massive,better commentators than me,including aussies,actually rate england as genuine contenders now..guess we'll find out tomorrow..

WALES & SCOTLAND have qualified for the 4NATIONS,with SCOTLAND producing the best result by a "2nd tier nation" since france beat australia 40 years ago..though its generally noted that the aussies might have been on the drink for the 2 week they stopped in france lol so i rate scotlands draw as the best result ever..

ENGLAND,WALES,SCOTLAND & IRELAND are all going to be at next years WORLD CUP..

so thank you mr lewis

ps...if anyone says GB was disbanded because of lottery funding...unplug your keyboard and whack yourself in the face with it

• Like 2

Funny that, As an outsider looking in I think it was a terrible decision but what ever floats your boat I guess.

I agree with the positivity around tge principle of this, but slightly ott imho.

Ever since the multi team World Cups started in 1995 we have split up GB.

I also disagree that the England brand is massive.

What we did was right, but more work needed to nail it..

I would agree the England brand is not massive, however England seem to be getting larger crowds than GB did (during my lifetime at least).

I agree with the positivity around tge principle of this, but slightly ott imho.

Ever since the multi team World Cups started in 1995 we have split up GB.

I also disagree that the England brand is massive.

What we did was right, but more work needed to nail it..

England's brand could and should be bigger than it is. Rarely playing any games doesn't help. I'm with 'spud on this one though.

England's brand could and should be bigger than it is. Rarely playing any games doesn't help. I'm with 'spud on this one though.

which bit? I agree it is the right move, but these teams played well before Lewis was involved and all four featured in the 2000 World Cup, all four played across the 1995 WC and Emerging WC.

The England RL brand is woefully underperforming.

Doesn't help when the merchandise is nothing short of pathetic. Only 4 items to purchase and taking money off me for shorts on the website which aren't even produced. Amateurish

which bit? I agree it is the right move, but these teams played well before Lewis was involved and all four featured in the 2000 World Cup, all four played across the 1995 WC and Emerging WC.

I've never seen an England shirt available to buy in London, except at matches. I remember seeing GB shirts on sale at JJB Oxford Street, need to do things like that to build the brand around the country.

Doesn't help when the merchandise is nothing short of pathetic. Only 4 items to purchase and taking money off me for shorts on the website which aren't even produced. Amateurish

There are a lot more than four items available but you have to use the Australian BLK site to view them.

I would agree with the OP too. I'm glad someone reminded me about that decision. It was very controversial at the time. I think Richard Lewis tried to take RLs ambitions and put them into practice but it has proven to be more difficult to achieve than some thought. I think we are basically on the right track now the international game. This is the second 4 nations in a row where the fourth team has been a genuinely competitive in some matches. What I would really like to see now is teams like France and PNG and Wales becoming just as competitive as Samoa and Scotland.

Edited by westlondonfan

I would agree with the OP too. I'm glad someone reminded me about that decision. It was very controversial at the time. I think Richard Lewis tried to take RLs ambitions and put them into practice but it has proven to be more difficult to achieve than some thought. I think we are basically on the right track now the international game. This is the second 4 nations in a row where the fourth team has been a genuinely competitive in some matches. What I would really like to see now is teams like France and PNG and Wales becoming just as competitive as Samoa and Scotland.

Samoa and Scotland are competitive because of the heritage rules. France and Wales don't have the same number of heritage players available to them. I'd be surprised if France have access to any heritage players worth having.

Samoa and Scotland are competitive because of the heritage rules. France and Wales don't have the same number of heritage players available to them. I'd be surprised if France have access to any heritage players worth having.

I totally agree. There is certainly a big difference between a team full of heritage players and a developing nation that does not have a top-level professional league that is trying to build a genuinely competitive international team.

I totally agree. There is certainly a big difference between a team full of heritage players and a developing nation that does not have a top-level professional league that is trying to build a genuinely competitive international team.

France have a top level team...i agree with your comments though

10 years ago he disbanded GB because he thought it made more sense to push the 4 home nations as the main international teams rather than GB that didn't even play in the world cup..

fast forward 10 years...

the ENGLAND RL brand is massive,better commentators than me,including aussies,actually rate england as genuine contenders now..guess we'll find out tomorrow..

WALES & SCOTLAND have qualified for the 4NATIONS,with SCOTLAND producing the best result by a "2nd tier nation" since france beat australia 40 years ago..though its generally noted that the aussies might have been on the drink for the 2 week they stopped in france lol so i rate scotlands draw as the best result ever..

ENGLAND,WALES,SCOTLAND & IRELAND are all going to be at next years WORLD CUP..

so thank you mr lewis

ps...if anyone says GB was disbanded because of lottery funding...unplug your keyboard and whack yourself in the face with it

I agree with this.

The whole Great Britain brand in RL is a bit of red herring as far as I am concerned.  I was brought up on the GB Rugby League games and loved the ashes and Kangaroo/Kiwi tours but outside of core RL fans I believe that England and GB are interchangeable and in fact England has much more potential as a brand for our sport (yes, potential as the moment but competitive success could quickly change that).

The World Cups will be much more credible in the media with the home nations involved separately and as last nights Scottish result shows the media report the event not the country of birth or the accents of the players involved (it is only RL fans who want to discredit the competition based on the sourcing of players, nobody I have spoken to outside of RL circles cares one jot).

Partisanship, bias, zealot, bigotry, fanaticism and chauvinism are what makes sport work best and produce bums on seats, however useless for real life and considered argument.

To say we have not made the most of this is like saying the Daily Mail has not made the most of well researched journalism.

Of course it also needs to be marketed as a clash of titans irrespective of the reality behind it all ie Brough v Johnson.

It would be nice if the constant requests for a GB tour could be put to bed now.

There is nothing wrong with a tour or even an Ashes series. However, the Ashes should be between England and Australia. It was only ever GB because we manufactured it when the Welsh influx came into RL after the War. The original Ashes was England and Australia.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

It would be nice if the constant requests for a GB tour could be put to bed now.

I'd like to think forever cos this hankering after the past is mostly negative and counter productive.

And if we had the home nations regularly playing a regular calendar maybe a Lions Tour could become a regular option too?

Would be good if England did tour Australia and played against Pacific Islands sides also. Maybe NZ could come over here at the same time and play tests against the home Nations and France

We give the dark side a lot of stick but they really do have it nailed in terms of maximising interest in the International game. Having a mid-season international break and then end of season competitions or tours could catapult England RL to another level.

Honestly, as a one off, if the 2021 World Cup was played in England over 1 month in June it could potentially hit 1m spectators and some. However, any decision on anything always has to get past the insular board rooms of Canterbury, Castleford, Canberra etc.

I genuinely believe International RL could fund pretty much all England RL development within 10 years if done properly and with everyone behind it. 

Edited by Scubby

There is nothing wrong with a tour or even an Ashes series. However, the Ashes should be between England and Australia. It was only ever GB because we manufactured it when the Welsh influx came into RL after the War. The original Ashes was England and Australia.

England cricket have welsh players but still play as England....in fact England sell out test matches on Wales!