Sign in to follow this  
Chanter

One Game Together Conference In Liverpool

Wood, and to a lesser extent, Rimmer and Barwick. Not only can they not run the domestic game, they are an obstacle to change.

One part of me wonders whether one of the reasons the Aussies are so keen on the US, as that would mean they weren't reliant on a country run by these men.

Yep, it really does feel like the game is being run by a Labour Club esque Committee at times. 

Internationals are just a distraction from what really matters, the heart and soul of the game: the club game. The RLIF should focus on organizing more games between clubs from different nations. Expand the WCC to include all the SL clubs + 12 of the NRL clubs. That's how you grow the game.

Internationals are just a distraction from what really matters, the heart and soul of the game: the club game. The RLIF should focus on organizing more games between clubs from different nations. Expand the WCC to include all the SL clubs + 12 of the NRL clubs. That's how you grow the game.

That is just a wind up post Barney/Gutterfax and you know it.

That is just a wind up post Barney/Gutterfax and you know it.

No, it's the truth. What has having "Italy" at the RLWC achieve for the game in Italy? Absolutely nothing. People on the ground, creating clubs and organizing games and competitions are the ones growing the game.

No, it's the truth. What has having "Italy" at the RLWC achieve for the game in Italy? Absolutely nothing. People on the ground, creating clubs and organizing games and competitions are the ones growing the game.

No it is a wind up.

For every Italy there are players picking up a ball in Serbia, Russia, USA and Jamaica who have never seen a club game and will never have interest in it. 

I am pretty sure the likes of Wood, Rimmer and Dutton are secret browsers of forums like this. I hope they understand the feeling that is felt throughout the game.

A business/organisation looks for areas of growth and seizes the moment. Dress it up all you like but the club game is static. Salary cap is pretty much what it was 10 years ago, attendances are pretty much what they were 10 years ago, clubs are pretty much in the same financial state they were years ago.

The one area with the potential to be a massive cash cow for the game here over the next 10 years is international RL. How can they not see it? Promoted correctly, an England international in June at a big venue (or even a World 9s weekend) could bring in more revenue than the whole of the magic weekend put together. England branding, merchandise and sponsorship has not even scratched the surface. We have no home games in 2017 FFS! 

The RLIF could, yes could, be turning over 10s of millions a years within a decade if a growth plan is put in place. It is just not acceptable to say there were no tenders for a Confed Cup. The world needs to see what a Confed Cup would look like and its potential. Those blue chip sponsors the game craves want a quality well thought out programme. November 2016 should have been the most exciting month in the game's history.

Other governing bodies would be fining Australia for pulling out of international programmes for a year. Corner shops and working men's clubs are dying for a reason. The World has moved on.

If they do, they are not listening at best; delusion and out for themselves at worst. The world has moved on and we are being firmly left behind.

No it is a wind up.

For every Italy there are players picking up a ball in Serbia, Russia, USA and Jamaica who have never seen a club game and will never have interest in it. 

Do they have an interest in watching "Italy" play "Scotland" or whatever? No. Where do you think those picking up a ball in Serbia, etc.. are playing? The club game is what grows the game. Let's focus on that.

Do they have an interest in watching "Italy" play "Scotland" or whatever? No. Where do you think those picking up a ball in Serbia, etc.. are playing? The club game is what grows the game. Let's focus on that.

Let's not. Why not focus on trying to keep this username intact without trying subtle wind ups which always end up with the same end outcome. Over the years you have had a lot of positive hidden among the rubbish. Why not concentrate on that?

Please stop with the personal attacks

Okay apologies. This is not normally like me. It has been a very frustrating week as you will know more than most.

Edited by Scubby

Whilst I am as frustrated as anyone, I think it is misguided to just shout for the same old heads to roll.

I suspect that even if we got new people in at the RFL the result would be the same here. 

I genuinely believe that Wood in particular wants to drive the international game forward - unfortunately I think it is a bit 'too hard' (something Dutton complained about, supported by Sally Bolton in the 4N build up) and they don't have the power to overcome some of the obstacles.

Genuine question - what is in it for the Australians to invest substantially (financially and effort) in the international game? They have a huge TV deal and game over there and stage a few nice internationals to support their Origin game. They are happy.

The UK, Kiwis and France have a lot to gain from a strong international game, but can't do this on their own.

Whilst I am as frustrated as anyone, I think it is misguided to just shout for the same old heads to roll.

I suspect that even if we got new people in at the RFL the result would be the same here. 

I genuinely believe that Wood in particular wants to drive the international game forward - unfortunately I think it is a bit 'too hard' (something Dutton complained about, supported by Sally Bolton in the 4N build up) and they don't have the power to overcome some of the obstacles.

Genuine question - what is in it for the Australians to invest substantially (financially and effort) in the international game? They have a huge TV deal and game over there and stage a few nice internationals to support their Origin game. They are happy.

The UK, Kiwis and France have a lot to gain from a strong international game, but can't do this on their own.

The single thing Wood could do if he wanted to get the international game booming here would be to set up a semi-autonomous England RL structure responsible for all events, branding, appointments and programme planning. Even if he got the game in the UK to sign up to a minimum of 3-4 England home games per year with windows it would create momentum. People are ready to support England RL in the same way they do in cricket. The club fan and the potential international fan are not necessarily the same person. It is the only vehicle to get us into new markets in the UK IMO.

To mothball the England brand for 2 years at a time is a crime worthy of the axe.

Edited by Scubby

The club game had for many years excellent exposure on TV with things like the floodlit trophy, CC Final, Scrumdown etc, all at a time when it was pretty much a captive audience. Names like Hull KR and Bradford Northern were very well known, in part to Eddie Waring and his fame (he was, *very* famous)

So if it's the club game that drives growth, why was there so little of it?

why do you think we can only focus on one thing at a time?

I would ordinarily not be in the "heads must roll" camp, but here I am. There was a well thought through 8 year plan which could have been rolled out already. The Aussies would not have put the kibosh on it (although their ridiculous player deal is a constraint we could all do without). If England clings to its "show us a business plan, we make more money from Test series" view, the Aussies will not steam roll it through. After all, they have to balance their position with the (separate and infinitely powerful) NRL.

We have the opportunity for massive, quick and sustainable growth for the game, but it requires courage and a visionary rather than an accountant in charge (with apologies to any visionary TRL accountants). If Maurice was in charge we would have got there. Fwiw, I think we will get there, as the proposed structure remains compelling, it is just it will be slower, as the RLIF will be required to jump through more hoops. If not us, then our children may live to see it.

Thank god the game is such a thing of beauty to watch, or it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer

That very much depends on who those new people were.

If they were just yet more cronies of the existing mob, then yes very little would change. But then they are unlikely to give a job to anyone who may rock the boat.

The single thing Wood could do if he wanted to get the international game booming here would be to set up a semi-autonomous England RL structure responsible for all events, branding, appointments and programme planning. Even if he got the game in the UK to sign up to a minimum of 3-4 England home games per year with windows it would create momentum. People are ready to support England RL in the same way they do in cricket. The club fan and the potential international fan are not necessarily the same person. It is the only vehicle to get us into new markets in the UK IMO.

To mothball the England brand for 2 years at a time is a crime worthy of the axe.

We were those children and the opportunity was there over 20 years ago. We can't keep pushing decisions 5-7 years away. We can't. Other sports are organising Women's comps, world comps, regional comps, at a pace. Even the 2025 decision in the USA may get gazumped by other sports.

We are being run by a body that is quite happy to mothball international RL for months and years at a time. Disgraceful.

Edited by Scubby

That very much depends on who those new people were.

If they were just yet more cronies of the existing mob, then yes very little would change. But then they are unlikely to give a job to anyone who may rock the boat.

but the people before never did much for the international game either. Wood and his cronies gave us the hope after the 2013 WC.

but the people before never did much for the international game either. Wood and his cronies gave us the hope after the 2013 WC.

I'd argue that the 2013 WC did ok despite these guys, not because of them.

And if they were responsible, why not more of the same since???

I would ordinarily not be in the "heads must roll" camp, but here I am. There was a well thought through 8 year plan which could have been rolled out already. The Aussies would not have put the kibosh on it (although their ridiculous player deal is a constraint we could all do without). If England clings to its "show us a business plan, we make more money from Test series" view, the Aussies will not steam roll it through. After all, they have to balance their position with the (separate and infinitely powerful) NRL.

We have the opportunity for massive, quick and sustainable growth for the game, but it requires courage and a visionary rather than an accountant in charge (with apologies to any visionary TRL accountants). If Maurice was in charge we would have got there. Fwiw, I think we will get there, as the proposed structure remains compelling, it is just it will be slower, as the RLIF will be required to jump through more hoops. If not us, then our children may live to see it.

Thank god the game is such a thing of beauty to watch, or it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

we need a visionary who can execute or be wise enough to put the right people around. Lindsay executed some bold stuff horrendously.

My view is that the current incumbents in the RFL have had their time and it would be better for our game, over here, for new blood, vision and stimulus. Woods done some good work, but IMO SL, all round, needs a kick start.

Edit: I read this relevant piece done by John Wilkin. Whether people like him or not, isn't the point, but he seems to be unaware that their is an actual RFL plan, which the English game is supposed to be working to as a whole. You'd think, for someone who's been at the top of the game for Club and Country the RFL 'Plan' would be common knowledge. Obviously not.

http://www.sthelensreporter.co.uk/sport/wilkin-england-are-bottom-of-the-pile-1-8254130

Edited by Lowdesert

I'd argue that the 2013 WC did ok despite these guys, not because of them.

And if they were responsible, why not more of the same since???

in the grand scheme of things Wood is guilty of not arranging a couple of England home tests. The year after the WC we were contracted to play a 4N Down Under, then staged a record Kiwi series. Ive said enough about this years 4n, but it technically delivered an increase on previous years.

The RLIF actions are on a whole new scale, and whilst Wood clearly isnt the man to drive the World game his employees in the meantime have secured £25m funding for the 2021 WC.

Plenty to criticise, but i still cant help feel that Wood isnt the major issue here.

My view is that the current incumbents in the RFL have had their time and it would be better for our game, over here, for new blood, vision and stimulus. Woods done some good work, but IMO SL, all round, needs a kick start.

i dont necessarily disagree mate, but at some stage we need to get to the root cause rather than keep calling for the chief to resign.

in the grand scheme of things Wood is guilty of not arranging a couple of England home tests. The year after the WC we were contracted to play a 4N Down Under, then staged a record Kiwi series. Ive said enough about this years 4n, but it technically delivered an increase on previous years.

The RLIF actions are on a whole new scale, and whilst Wood clearly isnt the man to drive the World game his employees in the meantime have secured £25m funding for the 2021 WC.

Plenty to criticise, but i still cant help feel that Wood isnt the major issue here.

You forgot to include that had the Aussies agreed to an Ashes series in 2015 then England would have gone 3 years without a home fixture after the 2013 RLWC - which is unforgivable.

You forgot to include that had the Aussies agreed to an Ashes series in 2015 then England would have gone 3 years without a home fixture after the 2013 RLWC - which is unforgivable.

aye, but as with all roughyed's posts about all this recent stuff, i only believe these things when they are confirmed.