Sign in to follow this  
Robin  Evans

Obituary thread 2017

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

I have to admit I had no idea who he was, but from all the comments on Facebook and Twitter he seemed very well liked. It's nice how a bit of TV fame can make an "ordinary" person very popular for all the right reasons.

Edited by Griff9of13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

I have to admit I had no idea who he was, but from all the comments on Facebook and Twitter he seemed very well liked. It's nice how a bit of TV fame can make an "ordinary" person very popular for all the right reasons.

First I'd ever heard of him was on BBC News reporting his death. Very sad for his family but headline news? Really?

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

First I'd ever heard of him was on BBC News reporting his death. Very sad for his family but headline news? Really?

Well, why not headline news?

He was a well known face to millions of people and his name was a top trend on Twitter all day yesterday, with the vast majority of comments saying lovely things and offering condolences to his wife June, who he appeared on the show with.

I think Gogglebox is an absolutely genius show, it never fails to make me laugh, because it is just ordinary people in their own homes watching the same old rubbish on telly as everyone else, and saying the sort of stuff we all say.

It's like watching telly with friends or relatives. I think that's why so many people felt a little bit sad at the news that 'grandad' Leon had died, and just before Christmas too. :(

It makes you think about your own family and what they mean to you.

We don't really 'know' these people, but they bring a bit of fun into the world for an hour a week and that's not a bad epitaph.

• Like 3

My dad this afternoon after a short illness, we had a patchy relationship but at the end of the day he was my dad, I’ll be taking a break from the board for a while folks. 

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

My dad this afternoon after a short illness, we had a patchy relationship but at the end of the day he was my dad, I’ll be taking a break from the board for a while folks. 

Sorry for your loss.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Sorry to hear that.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Sorry for your loss.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Sincere condolences Phil, sorry to here this., especially at this time of year.

Take the down time you will need it.

18 hours ago, Phil said:

Very sad news, especially at this time of the year.

19 hours ago, Phil said:

Sorry to hear that.

Take care.

20 hours ago, Phil said:

So sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences.

Sorry Phil.

I know how you feel, my Dad died 2 days before Christmas in 1993, it still hurts.

10 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Sorry Phil.

I know how you feel, my Dad died 2 days before Christmas in 1993, it still hurts.

What is it about this time of year? I lost my dad on the 19th and his funeral was held on Christmas Eve in 1998. Like you say, it still hurts. I think it's the juxtaposition of what is a time for happy celebration with the sadness still felt at the loss that almost amplifiers that loss.