Jason Walton

Jason Walton has just been announced as a new signing (had previously signed for Bradford and no doubt will be the first of many departures from the Bulls).

Really pleased with this - probably not quite a SL starting-calibre player but a really good Championship-level player at back row or centre who can break the line. Think he will be a fans' favourite as he really charges in when carrying the ball. Was the best player on the field when he played for Wakefield against us in the pre-season friendly last season.

FEATHERSTONE ROVERS are delighted to announce the signing of former Super League star Jason Walton.

The 26-year-old, who can operate at centre and in the second row, has put pen to paper on an initial one-year deal with the Big Fellas Stadium outfit.

Walton has spent much of the closed season with Bradford after departing Wakefield Trinity, though became a free agent yesterday as the Bulls were liquidated.

The Rovers’ latest recruit, who signs on the back of Scotland international Frankie Mariano’s arrival, said: “It has all happened very fast. I was 90 per cent sure the Bulls were going to survive, we were told a new owner was coming in.

“That is in the past now, though, and I am very happy to be joining Featherstone. This is a club I have always wanted to play for and am confident I can do well here.

“I can offer the team a fair bit, I would like to think. I can play in the back row and in the centres. I cannot wait to get going.

“This is going to be an exciting season for this club and I am proud to be a part of it. We have got a great squad in place and I am confident we will have a say at the top end of the table come the end of the season.”

Featherstone head coach Jon Sharp is delighted to have secured Walton’s services and has revealed he will continue to build and develop his Rovers roster prior to the start of the new season.

“First and foremost it is a shame what has happened to Bradford and one of the casualties is that players find themselves out of work,” added Sharp.

“Jason is one of them and he finds himself looking for another club. We were able to move quickly and we are thrilled to have him here.

He is a player I have watched closely over the years. He has lots of punch and strike in him and has the potential to become an even better player.

“We felt as though we needed a little more potency in attack and he is certainly going to bring that.

“Last year was a successful year for the club but we are striving to be better. We made the Qualifiers last season but ran out of steam a little. We lacked some competition within the squad and Jayson coming here adds some of that for us.

“We are always looking to bring quality players to the club and that will continue.

"We were looking to sign an outside back and I was happy to wait, but this opportunity came about and we took it with both hands."

Im Fev and im proud

FEATHERSTONE ROVERS are delighted to announce the signing of former Super League star Jason Walton.

The 26-year-old, who can operate at centre and in the second row, has put pen to paper on an initial one-year deal with the Big Fellas Stadium outfit.

Walton has spent much of the closed season with Bradford after departing Wakefield Trinity, though became a free agent yesterday as the Bulls were liquidated.

The Rovers’ latest recruit, who signs on the back of Scotland international Frankie Mariano’s arrival, said: “It has all happened very fast. I was 90 per cent sure the Bulls were going to survive, we were told a new owner was coming in.

“That is in the past now, though, and I am very happy to be joining Featherstone. This is a club I have always wanted to play for and am confident I can do well here.

“I can offer the team a fair bit, I would like to think. I can play in the back row and in the centres. I cannot wait to get going.

“This is going to be an exciting season for this club and I am proud to be a part of it. We have got a great squad in place and I am confident we will have a say at the top end of the table come the end of the season.”

Featherstone head coach Jon Sharp is delighted to have secured Walton’s services and has revealed he will continue to build and develop his Rovers roster prior to the start of the new season.

“First and foremost it is a shame what has happened to Bradford and one of the casualties is that players find themselves out of work,” added Sharp.

“Jason is one of them and he finds himself looking for another club. We were able to move quickly and we are thrilled to have him here.

He is a player I have watched closely over the years. He has lots of punch and strike in him and has the potential to become an even better player.

“We felt as though we needed a little more potency in attack and he is certainly going to bring that.

“Last year was a successful year for the club but we are striving to be better. We made the Qualifiers last season but ran out of steam a little. We lacked some competition within the squad and Jayson coming here adds some of that for us.

“We are always looking to bring quality players to the club and that will continue.

"We were looking to sign an outside back and I was happy to wait, but this opportunity came about and we took it with both hands."

he was fantastic at batley  Maureen before he went to salford, great signing.

Always did well when he was at Batley against us - always seemed to bag a try

Getting rave reviews as a good signing though confess i havent seen much of him since his Batley days 

We certainly didnt hang about di-secting the carcass of the bulls did we?

The way the article reads - there may be more to come from there at least one body

Looks like we played a blinder playing the waiting game too - Some good pickings to be had

As usual oxyboy knows more about our centres than we do. As Phantom states he cannot be better than Misi, as Misi finished as a top 3 centre. Stick to your own team Oxy or , as usual is that too much to ask.?

As usual oxyboy knows more about our centres than we do. As Phantom states he cannot be better than Misi, as Misi finished at a top 3 centre. Stick to your own team Oxy or , as usual is that too much to ask.?

1 hour ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

To be honest I'd agree with Oxy, Walton is better than the centres we already have. He's recently played Super League, couldn't see our other centres being up to that standard. 

Hmm, I'm not sure that follows... Michael Channing played lots of SL games for Cas and London the three seasons before he came to us, but his performances for us last year were nowhere near as good as Misi's (even allowing for his being injured lots).

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Hmm, I'm not sure that follows... Michael Channing played lots of SL games for Cas and London the three seasons before he came to us, but his performances for us last year were nowhere near as good as Misi's (even allowing for his being injured lots).

Yeah,

Sykes, Wood, Carvel, Craven etc.  That said of course I hope he does end up being outstanding for us.

11 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Yeah,

Sykes, Wood, Carvel, Craven etc.  That said of course I hope he does end up being outstanding for us.

I think he will do fine, and if he does end up playing in the pack he'll still be an excellent cover guy for Ulugia/Misi and it will be a more natural switch than those involving Hardman/Tagg/Snitch/Cording that we've seen over the last couple of years.

By the sounds of it he would make a good bench player when the side is at full strength, to do a couple of spells in the forwards while being on standby to cover any injuries during the game, with Misi able to play wing and Briscoe full back. It's a 17 man game nowadays.

Hooray. At last we have signed a recognised centre. Walton is a good player, not to hefty but will run at a brick wall. Should put some backbone into the line.

No sour grapes as he became a valuable bulldog but doesn't have the intensity to play a full game and goes missing in defense. Doesnt always release his winger too. Better than uglia though

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

3 hours ago, 9' oller said:

No sour grapes as he became a valuable bulldog but doesn't have the intensity to play a full game and goes missing in defense. Doesnt always release his winger too. Better than uglia though

As a supporter of a club which was pretty close to us in the league table last year ,what signings or what difference does your club have to have any advantage to finish above us this year ??

Eh?

Wally is the topic not final placing.I do howhowever see us both in the qualifiers

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

I would trust Jon Sharp's judgement over any Fev or Batley fan, maybe not John Kear though, but he's gone and that is why I expect Fev to finish above Batley.

There were question marks over misi been a centre beggining of last season, but jon sharpe turned out to be right and he ripped the championship up. Walton looked sharpe and strong sunday, hes got a direct approach to his game and at championship level he should get plenty of joy, especially outside mariano. Can see them causing some problems. Spent the last few year as a full time player, so should be in better shape than his batley days.

One of the most satisfied players in the squad at the moment must be Ian Hardman. In recent seasons not only has he had to beat out high-profile signings to retain his full back position, but he's also had to be switched to centre at the drop of a hat whenever one of our two starting centres was injured, which turned out to be frequently.

At this stage at least, it doesn't appear that he has a rival for the full back position, but more importantly, we now have three quality centres by Championship standards, with the option of moving Luke Briscoe there too in an emergency given we have plenty of cover on the wing.

I agree with Steve's comment higher up the page in that I could see Walton making a really good impact player from the bench, with the added bonus that he would make injuries in the threequarters easier to deal with. We could have quite a bench this year; you'd imagine that's how Moore will be used, with Bostock and Griffin perhaps starting, but with Davies, Knowles, Mariano and Tagg all battling for playing time in the back row, we should have plenty of impact from the bench, regardless of whether we have the likes of Ormondroyd & Baldwinson, if we stay reasonably healthy.

• 1 month later...

Archived