First friendly

Bearintown

Ok I understand dont be negative and all that.

But our first warm  up -as in a practice game  to make perfect and all - is less than two weeks away.

And we dont quite have a full 17.

Are we going to start this season as we finished last with the  bare bones? Even if we sign a few in the interim they are not going to have much of a pre season with the rest!

Is any other team in this position?

The irons in the fire need to be pulled out sharpish!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not negative, just realistic.

I would think that the only other club in a similar position is Bradford,  which is a very bad sign.

I'm not saying that the club won't put things right, but surely we need at least 6 more signed on in the next couple of weeks.

I think what bear is saying is bang on. Its been possibly the biggest let down as far as our recruitment is concerned in many years. Lost loads, not signed many. Interest in the club is possibly at an all time low for myself and lots of others ive spoken to

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

19 minutes ago, wonky said:

I think what bear is saying is bang on. Its been possibly the biggest let down as far as our recruitment is concerned in many years. Lost loads, not signed many. Interest in the club is possibly at an all time low for myself and lots of others ive spoken to

Yep I'd agree with all of that Wonky. 

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

I've a feeling I'll be doing a lot more fishing or having days away on Sundays this year. After the fans forum I felt quite excited about the days ahead. Now I feel totally flat. We used to get a bit of a report off Trouty as to how things were going in training which was always good to hear. We don't get that any more. There were 11 news items on the official Town site in November. 3 in December and none so far in January. Now you can accuse me of being negative if you want but I really was expecting to see momentum building better than this leading up to the new season.

10 hours ago, Alineden said:

I've a feeling I'll be doing a lot more fishing or having days away on Sundays this year. After the fans forum I felt quite excited about the days ahead. Now I feel totally flat. We used to get a bit of a report off Trouty as to how things were going in training which was always good to hear. We don't get that any more. There were 11 news items on the official Town site in November. 3 in December and none so far in January. Now you can accuse me of being negative if you want but I really was expecting to see momentum building better than this leading up to the new season.

Have to agree, at first I bought into this concept of rebuilding the club and the more open communication with fans, but it seems old habits die hard and we are repeating the same old mistakes in terms of late recruitment, lack of information and failure to build any momentum going into a new season. It's been a familiar pattern for quite a few years now.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

One thing I wanting to bring in to the club communications was fact, particularly on this forum. The board recognized a gap and asked me to join the forum to communicate with you guys. I was aware as a fan that the gaps were being filled with rumour and that was often incorrect, negative or non Town fans trolling (or all 3 haha) I'm genuinely sorry that you feel that I've slipped into old habits. I just didn't want to keep posting 'talks are ongoing'   The team have been training 3 times a week but not at Derwent Park. As soon as they are back there'll be new things going on. I'm also posting on facebook and twitter as well as on here as there are more followers there 

For a variety of reasons on and off the pitch the club just about disappeared completely last season. The club was also relegated. That has had consequences financially and probably reputationally, from a players perspective.  The board had to have a radical rethink on how they would approach not only the 2017 season but the ones after that. We appointed a new part time coach with a remit to build Cumbrian where possible and put in place the structures for a new regime. The board made the conscious decision that some frankly unrealistic wage demands given the club budget and the division we were in could no longer be accommodated. They would spend what they had. That has consequences. We didn’t let anyone ‘go’ , we gave them a realistic offer for this division. Some wanted more than last year even though we’d been relegated.  

Within a few weeks of the coach appointment we held a fans forum where all questions were answered frankly. We told you that it was going to be different. We said it wouldn't be easy . Players who might have travelled last year are reluctant to travel for realistic Championship 1 contracts . 

We have a communication protocol in place which co-ordinates any announcement with this forum first, the local press, radio cumbria and twitter and facebook. Feedback from local press about the way that we work is very positive. In the last few weeks there has been little fact to announce although the Board is meeting sometimes twice a week to position the club for the future.

The board is looking at all aspects of the club from match day experience to the bars to access to merchandise. Changes are being made everywhere in the club.

The feedback from players who have been at the club a while about  pre-season and the coaching staff is very positive. That will help over time with attracting players.

We are working very hard on some more experienced players to add to the squad. These will be announced shortly. Please don’t forget that in the squad we have 3 internationals and some very experienced players from the league above. We will be signing several of the amateurs who have trained with us because they are very good players with very good attitudes (not just to have bodies on board).

As we said from the very beginning this year will be a transition year. Relegation and unrealistic wages have consequences. In a few weeks there will be a weekly interview with the Coach and one of the players on Facebook , twitter and the website. I’ll be profiling players on and off the pitch. In order to have a good product on the pitch we have to get as much income as possible so we don’t want to lose you guys.

Last year we has an unsustainable wage bill and got relegated. This season we will have a sustainable wage bill, be competitive and build for the future. We need you folks with us.  We want you to be part of it and we'll take ideas on board now the club is stable. Cheers, Gary 

14 minutes ago, GMcK said:

One thing I wanting to bring in to the club communications was fact, particularly on this forum. The board recognized a gap and asked me to join the forum to communicate with you guys. I was aware as a fan that the gaps were being filled with rumour and that was often incorrect, negative or non Town fans trolling (or all 3 haha) I'm genuinely sorry that you feel that I've slipped into old habits. I just didn't want to keep posting 'talks are ongoing'   The team have been training 3 times a week but not at Derwent Park. As soon as they are back there'll be new things going on. I'm also posting on facebook and twitter as well as on here as there are more followers there 

For a variety of reasons on and off the pitch the club just about disappeared completely last season. The club was also relegated. That has had consequences financially and probably reputationally, from a players perspective.  The board had to have a radical rethink on how they would approach not only the 2017 season but the ones after that. We appointed a new part time coach with a remit to build Cumbrian where possible and put in place the structures for a new regime. The board made the conscious decision that some frankly unrealistic wage demands given the club budget and the division we were in could no longer be accommodated. They would spend what they had. That has consequences. We didn’t let anyone ‘go’ , we gave them a realistic offer for this division. Some wanted more than last year even though we’d been relegated.  

Within a few weeks of the coach appointment we held a fans forum where all questions were answered frankly. We told you that it was going to be different. We said it wouldn't be easy . Players who might have travelled last year are reluctant to travel for realistic Championship 1 contracts . 

We have a communication protocol in place which co-ordinates any announcement with this forum first, the local press, radio cumbria and twitter and facebook. Feedback from local press about the way that we work is very positive. In the last few weeks there has been little fact to announce although the Board is meeting sometimes twice a week to position the club for the future.

The board is looking at all aspects of the club from match day experience to the bars to access to merchandise. Changes are being made everywhere in the club.

The feedback from players who have been at the club a while about  pre-season and the coaching staff is very positive. That will help over time with attracting players.

We are working very hard on some more experienced players to add to the squad. These will be announced shortly. Please don’t forget that in the squad we have 3 internationals and some very experienced players from the league above. We will be signing several of the amateurs who have trained with us because they are very good players with very good attitudes (not just to have bodies on board).

As we said from the very beginning this year will be a transition year. Relegation and unrealistic wages have consequences. In a few weeks there will be a weekly interview with the Coach and one of the players on Facebook , twitter and the website. I’ll be profiling players on and off the pitch. In order to have a good product on the pitch we have to get as much income as possible so we don’t want to lose you guys.

Last year we has an unsustainable wage bill and got relegated. This season we will have a sustainable wage bill, be competitive and build for the future. We need you folks with us.  We want you to be part of it and we'll take ideas on board now the club is stable. Cheers, Gary 

Thanks Gary for the update , I think all us fans realise the problems we had last season but people are very concerned about having a completive squad and not being "short " and on the back foot , a few signings will hopefully put fans at ease a little, I am personally looking forward to seeing these young players develop and grow but they will need time and some older experience players to help them develop, it will certainly be an interesting season. UTT

8 minutes ago, Hate the rec said:

Thanks Gary for the update , I think all us fans realise the problems we had last season but people are very concerned about having a completive squad and not being "short " and on the back foot , a few signings will hopefully put fans at ease a little, I am personally looking forward to seeing these young players develop and grow but they will need time and some older experience players to help them develop, it will certainly be an interesting season. UTT

I think that sums it up. Even with the 3 or 4 signings mentioned we will only have a squad of about 21 players and history tells us that isn't big enough at this level with injuries and players taking time out for personal things etc. Ideally we need around 25/26 players to be properly competitive.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Thanks for the update gary and hopefully some announcements  soon. When we look at the bulls situation as fans we must see that budgets must be stuck to. God help any small clubs that have met these unrealistic wage demands.  Now that is, playing with fire.

That goes without saying , but it always seems to take us longer than everyone else to get our squad , and it can't possibly be conducive to a good and gelled start to the season . That's killed us previously . I think we've still an awful lot to do and not much time to do it , so i , like the rest of us , am watching closely what happens next in terms of quality and quantity of incomings . But we can't dally much longer 

Thanks Gary. I'm guessing most of us on here are long-term fans and have seen every possible mistake made in terms of recruitment. It's going to be tricky hanging onto players when there's not much in the pot to offer them but it's the way to go in terms of rebuilding the club ,and as you say attitude can often outweigh talent.

It seems we're always last to put a squad together which makes us twitchy but we'll be there to shout them on and hopefully see some future stars develop.

don forget , the 3 or 4 amateurs who seem to be signing have all been preseason training with the 17 man signed squad from the outset so there should not be much of a gelling issue there ?  this would take the squad to about 21 ?   then its said several other experienced are in negotiations ? so it is actually sounding like it will be 25 or so ?

at least this is how am reading Gary's informative comments .

26 minutes ago, BIG MAC said:

Can someone post a list of players signed for this season, and have we any idea of the amateurs presently training with the squad,

Ritson, Hambley, Mossop, Singleton, Chamberlain (loan), Forber, Phillips, Coward, Doran, Scholey, Phillips, Szostak, Fitzimmons (loan), Fearon, Patrick, Dowsett, Curwen

Apologies if you are already familiar with this site and information.

However, with regards to squads and signings for the next season in Championship 1, it is worth looking on the RFL Fans Forum - RLFANS.Com. Once on the site, scroll down to and then enter the Keighley Cougars site, find the topic '2017 League One Squads' where 'Hello Trouble' is recording all the respective club squad details as they happen. Interesting reading for all rugby league anoraks amongst us!

HELLO TROUBLE Squad Numbers:

Keighley - 31

All Golds - 31

Hunslet - 29

South Wales - 29

Barrow - 28

Doncaster - 28

Newcastle - 28

North Wales -27

Haven - 26

Toronto - 25

Coventry - 23

Oxford - 23

York - 23

Hemel - 21

Town - 17

London - 14

On 09/01/2017 at 10:39 PM, wonky said:

As a so called die hard i am less than excited about the season ahead.I appreciate all the hard work and wouldnt knock anyone on here for their graft,but if were getting peeved off,i cant see a lot of new faces flocking back this term.

Having said that i will be there,but its not going to be easy to resist other temptations on a Sunday afternoon.

6 hours ago, Oneday said:

HELLO TROUBLE Squad Numbers:

Keighley - 31

All Golds - 31

Hunslet - 29

South Wales - 29

Barrow - 28

Doncaster - 28

Newcastle - 28

North Wales -27

Haven - 26

Toronto - 25

Coventry - 23

Oxford - 23

York - 23

Hemel - 21

Town - 17

London - 14

Thats not good reading at all. Geography cant be used as an excuse when haven and barrow have plenty more than us. 

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

25/6 is ideal you'd reckon for a full season . There's a few there look a bit top heavy , but to me it's the names behind the numbers that matter . A quality rich squad of 22 is better than a poor quality 30 . 

Whitehaven and barrow have more money than us, hence Stack Carter hulme Walker olstrom and shackley not staying here! They didn't go cos they wanted to play for them teams, they went for the money, simple. Can't compete with money, lads go where the money is, so you could be right about geography not being an excuse.......but money is!

Archived