Saint Toppy

Our new position in the EU

1 minute ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Unless they are refused citizenship because they don't earn enough etc.  

I didn't include that criteria.

17 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Unintentional consequences.

No, that's not what I meant.

I have no problem with people being turned down for citizenship if they don't earn enough etc.

23 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Unintentional consequences.

About 95% of EU born nurses in the UK and 50% of junior doctors don't earn enough and would automatically be excluded without appeal.  Oh, and it costs £1163 per adult and £973 per child to apply.

1 minute ago, ckn said:

About 95% of EU born nurses in the UK and 50% of junior doctors don't earn enough and would automatically be excluded without appeal.  Oh, and it costs £1163 per adult and £973 per child to apply.

I know a couple of families who are struggling to raise funds to apply either for citizenship or visas, despite having had children here after many years residence and in one case, having been a professional RL player. This has been their home for years and are very likely going to have to leave. Sad times, especially considering all work and have done since they arrived. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Indeed.  That's exactly how Brexiteers have been feeling every time remainers bleat on about how many Brits are seeking citizenship elsewhere.

Slightly different though isn’t it! Everyone of us who goes reduces the skills base and capacity of the country whether they are of British origin or not. 

It’s unlikely there will be a great influx of other nationals after brexit to plug the gaps since “taking back control of our boarders” was a significant reason for leaving. 

48 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Unless they are refused citizenship because they don't earn enough etc.  

This rule doesn't apply to EU nationals, it only applies to non-EU nationals on work visas. Though it is an unnecessarily draconian rule as people need to meet criteria to qualify for a Tier 2 work visa in the first place and are all working in important and skilled job roles. It may well end up applying to future immigrants from the EU that move here from January 2021 onwards. 

2 minutes ago, bowes said:

This rule doesn't apply to EU nationals

Although given that May hasn't actually agreed to anything yet that could change in a heartbeat.

Which is why it's not exactly news that EU nationals who want to stay here are going for full citizenship - not least because the residency they were told to apply for has been proved to be worthless.

I have friend following the developments on settlement status with great personal interest

Born in Rhodesia but with no way of proving it (they didnt do birth certificates out in the backwoods) moved to NZ when young, grew up there and then joined British Army where he served for many years in REME (i met him when based near me in uk) he then found he had no automatic right to settle in the  UK as he could not prove he was born in Rhodesia (he was offered a Botswanan nationality for some reason). Met his wife whilst based on the Rhine and they have a son.  They all moved to the uk when his son was young and then after years fighting the Army medical corps assessments of his knees he was finally given a medical discharge (caused probably by the huge dose of meds they got given for desert storm followed by a forced route march the next day). He is employed but unless they  add his medical discharge pension to his low salary there is no way he meets the criteria and I am not sure he will even with that

His ONLY right to be in the county is as the spouse of an EU national and his 16 yo son is also officially a German citizen having been born in a civilian hospital in Germany despite living here since the age of about 2.

Having been part of the Eu for so many years and having had FOM for so many years I have no doubt there are an awful lot of cases like his

Edited by SSoutherner

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Although given that May hasn't actually agreed to anything yet that could change in a heartbeat.

Which is why it's not exactly news that EU nationals who want to stay here are going for full citizenship - not least because the residency they were told to apply for has been proved to be worthless.

Theresa May's attitude on the topic of EU citizens has been uniquely awful, far worse than Boris and even worse than Nigel Farage. However, I honestly can't see the UK deciding to replicate Idi Amin's Uganda

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

I come from this from a different perspective, so I am not sure I understand this point.

Is this a good thing in itself, or does it demonstrate a positive thing to you?

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Oh, and it costs £1163 per adult and £973 per child to apply.

My employer is offering to pay for anybody who wants it at work - not just direct employees, but spouse & kids too. I reckon there's a couple of dozen formerly Spanish, Italian, Polish, Romanian, French etc. people I know who've acquired a British passport in the last 12 months. Presumably this is what Farage was campaigning for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

No, that's not what I meant.

I have no problem with people being turned down for citizenship if they don't earn enough etc.

1 hour ago, bowes said:

This rule doesn't apply to EU nationals, it only applies to non-EU nationals on work visas. Though it is an unnecessarily draconian rule as people need to meet criteria to qualify for a Tier 2 work visa in the first place and are all working in important and skilled job roles. It may well end up applying to future immigrants from the EU that move here from January 2021 onwards. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5141335/French-wife-24-years-REFUSED-residency-UK.html

33 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Some EU countries like Belgium are quicker than us to deport EU nationals on grounds of self sufficiency. I don't think it's reasonable when people have lived in the country a long time though.

The rule for non-EEA nationals in work visas is you have to earn over £35,000 incidentally, which is what ckn mentioned as unreasonably harsh on nurses and junior doctors 

Look forward to the day when I can re-apply for EU Citizenship!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bowes said:

Some EU countries like Belgium are quicker than us to deport EU nationals on grounds of self sufficiency. I don't think it's reasonable when people have lived in the country a long time though.

When they are married to a UK national?

12 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

When they are married to a UK national?

Denmark has many restrictions on this for Danish nationals married to non-EU nationals (ironically, as an EU national here, it I can bring over whom ever I like).  This includes their age, them putting down a large bond, proven effort etc.  We have had the Danish UKIP as power brokers for a while.

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The Times is reporting that the Unilever HQ is going to announce that it is off to Rotterdam today.  

It's already IN Rotterdam as Unilever is an Anglo/Dutch company.  Its statement has made clear that its decision to register one HQ solely in Rotterdam has nothing to do with Brexit but everything to do with a hostile takeover bid from Kraft (and we know how those work out - think Cadbury).  Apparently the Dutch have better protections against hostile takeovers than the British.  Unilever is keeping its building open in London and is making nobody redundant.  It is keeping two of its companies here and one in Rotterdam.  Only a handful of staff will move from London to Rotterdam as a result of the decision.  

And I haven't just made that all up.  The facts are all over the media.  Even the Guardian couldn't get away with spinning this as a Brexit matter and had to change its headline when the statement from Unilever was widely reported.

Edited by Saintslass

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The Times is reporting that the Unilever HQ is going to announce that it is off to Rotterdam today.  

Breaking my vow of silence in the AOB echo chamber of fake news and nonsense  views. Even Guardian TV, aka BBC TV Breakfast had eventually to acknowledge that this move HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BREXIT. Not that the company annoucement will be read by any of you,

• Like 1

Just now, JohnM said:

Breaking my vow of silence in the AOB echo chamber of fake news and nonsense  views. Even Guardian TV, aka BBC TV Breakfast had eventually to acknowledge that this move HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BREXIT. Not that the company annoucement will be read by any of you,

It was the Times who were reporting it as a severe blow to Mrs May’s post Brexit Britain. 

Feel free to admonish their headline writers and Mr Murdoch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Once again you patronise us with your presence.

Of course "some of us" have read it, and heard the statement on TV.

It's still not good news - they still chose Rotterdam over London.

4 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Once again you patronise us with your presence.

Of course "some of us" have read it, and heard the statement on TV.

It's still not good news - they still chose Rotterdam over London.

If it was happening a few years ago anyway, then he makes a valid point.