Saint Toppy

Our new position in the EU

Models are rubbish, with no idea what the economy will do...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/10/jacob-rees-mogg-no-deal-brexit-will-boost-uk-economy-11-trillion/

A no-deal Brexit would boost the UK economy by £1.1 trillion over 15 years, Jacob Rees-Mogg has said, arguing that crashing out of the EU is preferable to Theresa May’s Chequers plan.

The leader of the 60-strong European Research Group of Conservative Eurosceptic MPs said there is nothing to fear from a no-deal Brexit, as Britain’s trade with World Trade Organisation countries has grown four times faster than trade with countries that have a deal with the EU.

He also claimed that trading on WTO terms would reduce food prices by up to 8 per cent, providing the biggest benefit to the least well-off.

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

"999 of the world's economists are totally wrong but our one and only pet economist, Patrick Minford has it spot on."

Scathing - 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/11/brexit-one-plus-one-equals-a-trillion-economists-for-free-trade?CMP=share_btn_tw

Shortly before 11am, committee room nine began to fill up. First in were Owen Paterson, Steve Baker, Peter Bone, David Davis, Iain Duncan Smith, Bill Cash and Andrew Bridgen. Next was Matt Ridley. Always useful to have a climate change denier who destroyed Northern Rock onboard. Then came Jacob Rees-Mogg, followed a short while later by a sleep-deprived Boris Johnson, trying to slip in unnoticed. A full house. Just about all those whom no sane person would dream of leaving in charge of the country were gathered together to tell the world how they proposed to run the country if given half a chance.

5 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

A full house. Just about all those whom no sane person would dream of leaving in charge of the country were gathered together to tell the world how they proposed to run the country if given half a chance.

There again a nap hand cabinet and advisory for Teflon voters which makes the derision of Jeremy Corbyn even more hilarious!

I don't subscribe to the fear that it will all go down the tubes because we leave the EU but with this lot at the heart of it all which clearly they are, all coming out of the woodwork together in one place, that's what worries me.

What's that quote about a bomb at Twickers setting British Fascism back so many years ...... different setting same result!

No doubt we'll have someone calling it neo-liberal economics any minute now! And waving a Union Jack, of course, because they own patriotism! Why not, they'll own everything else soon enough!

I see the Department for Transport led by a political colossus got us into trouble with the EU recently...

10 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

got us into trouble with the EU recently...

Yes it'll be the fault of the EU not the inept though.

The level of understanding and debate in this country is pathetic. A prime example i this absolute non-issue regarding Union Jacks vs EU badges on British Army uniforms. I think Andrew Bridgen brought it up in Parliament demanding why the EU flag was on our uniforms. This has spiralled into a lod of tosh flying around the internet and social media including some of the pathetic comments on the MoD Twitter article about 3 PARA’s deployment. 

Edited by GeordieSaint

33 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

The level of understanding and debate in this country is pathetic. A prime example i this absolute non-issue regarding Union Jacks vs EU badges on British Army uniforms. I think Andrew Bridgen brought it up in Parliament demanding why the EU flag was on our uniforms. This has spiralled into a lod of tosh flying around the internet and social media including some of the pathetic comments on the MoD Twitter article about 3 PARA’s deployment. 

Bridgen will have a fit if he’s ever told who the supreme allied commander was in WW2... 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

The only way food prices will drop 8% is if all agri tariffs are set to 0% which is the death knell for british farming

It's only jobs.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's only jobs.

And the environment - if there is no one farming the land no one is doing the hedges, dry stone walling, ditches, tree cutting etc

Edited by SSoutherner

1 minute ago, SSoutherner said:

And the environment - if there is no one farming the land no one is doing the hedges, dry stone walling, ditches, tree cutting etc

Hardly a concern. A mere trifle. Did we not defeat the Romans and hold back the Norman tide? Did we not win against the odds at Agincourt and secure victory in the Hundred Years War as a result? The sun still rises over a globe painted in grateful pink. We are Britain, we are strong, and our hedges will be absolutely fine in some unspecified way I have no real idea about.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

In which case doesn't wild flora and fauna thrive?

• Like 1

I'm watching the coverage of the ERG briefing on the Irish border now. 

Every single thing they've said so far involves us opening up our borders even further than they are now.  We'd be an independent nation with open and uncontrolled borders.

"Taking back control".  Hmmm.  If by that they mean we're choosing to open our borders to anything and anyone then they're right on track with that!

Even the bit about the island of Ireland having a Common Biosecurity Zone.  So... Irish Sea border to mainland Britain then?  Did they even read it before sending it out?

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

In which case doesn't wild flora and fauna thrive?

It depends - there are certain habitats in the UK (for example grouse moor) which have developed due to particular management regimes - it would a good idea to actually ask ecologists and people like Natural England (& Scotland) what would be good/bad rather than just abandon then and hope for the best. Even dry stone walls offer a particular habitat not found naturally in their locale in several places - where i grew up in Sussex we had a particular type of hedge method which was about 20' wide (called  a Roo but no idea how you are meant ot spell it), full of oaks and hazells and a haven for Rabbits etc, with the advent of large scale arable a lot were ripped out to create larger fields - a sudden stop in farming would not make them suddenly regrow - instead an increase in housing would be more likely in those areas. This is the kind of landscape i mean - https://goo.gl/maps/swEhNQwL8SE2 and this is what you have where the roo's have been removed https://goo.gl/maps/GWwtpcX7zkH2 (only a few miles between the 2)

More tautology - we would eliminate a common rule book by following the same rules

equivalence of standards on agricultural products would all eliminate need for PM’s vision of a ‘common rule book’

Moggie has just said Theresa May has enormous virtues.  I never noticed!  Must be her slouch...

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Bridgen will have a fit if he’s ever told who the supreme allied commander was in WW2... 

You often terms like ‘  outrage ‘ bandied around but you never quite know who’s outraged !

1 hour ago, ckn said:

I'm watching the coverage of the ERG briefing on the Irish border now. 

Every single thing they've said so far involves us opening up our borders even further than they are now.  We'd be an independent nation with open and uncontrolled borders.

"Taking back control".  Hmmm.  If by that they mean we're choosing to open our borders to anything and anyone then they're right on track with that!

That's not the first time they've suggested that. In fact, it's been one of their solutions for the channel - to simply stop checking any vehicle passing through. How they gives us control I have absolutely no idea but then the quit club have long since stopped pretending they care. They are now just a grim mix of disaster capitalist and racist nationalists.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ckn said:

And that breaks WTO rules straight away.

• Like 1

An EU Parliament funding committee says that peace process projects in Northern Ireland should keep getting £400m EU funding post-Brexit. It was then overwhelmingly backed by EU MEPs voting in Parliament, 565 votes to 51, with Tory MEPs abstaining.

See, yet more examples of why we need to leave the EU.  What have they ever done for us?  Why do we need their money anyway when, of course, our government will step in and pay for these things post-Brexit?

Hmmm...

• Like 1

Blummin experts!  Bit of a thread so you need to click through to read in its entirety.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shrek said:

Blummin experts!  Bit of a thread so you need to click through to read in its entirety.

That Jason J Hunter bloke has done a number of such threads. They should be required reading for anyone with an interest in brexit. However I somehow doubt that the likes of ERG pay them much attention; facts and details are hardly the brexteemists strong point.