LancasterUniversity

survey for university project

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone ! We are a group of students from Lancaster University and we would like to know why do you prefer Barrow Rugby Team over the Football one ? 

It would be very helpful for our project to have as many answers as possible. 

For me its the game itself. 

I used to be a big soccer fan but now struggle to enthuse with the histrionics  of tge players. 

I used to go and watch Barrow AFC whenever they played in the Midlands and sometimes I would take my Grandson ( who prefers soccer)  but the boorish behaviour and bad language of a section of Barrow supporters led me to believe it wasn't a proper environment to take a young child to. 

I once tried to explain that in a report I did of a game at Mansfield for the "Holker Street Newsletter".  The abuse I received was unbelievable. 

I realise that those idiots are not representative of all Barrow soccer fans but they certainly let down themselves,  the soccer club and their town. 

1 person likes this

I follow rugby as feel it's more entertaining, the atmosphere and banter between fans is less intimidating and more positive.

I follow rugby as feel it's more entertaining, the atmosphere and banter between fans is less intimidating and more positive.

rugby league is a far superior game to football, the fans are more genuine and players approachable and amenable.

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, morty said:

rugby league is a far superior game to football, the fans are more genuine and players approachable and amenable.

+1

Apart from being a far far superior sport, the majority of the rugby squad, coaching staff and board members are local lads who many of us have worked alongside so it's easy to have an affinity with them. As opposed to the football whose only connection to Barrow is by name alone, not one local in the squad, and they don't even train in Cumbria!! Let alone Barrow!! As far as I'm concerned they are irrelevant to the town. 

2 people like this

Far superior game on many count's, more entertaining, more family friendly, and you don't have to be segregated, rugby league fan's stand or sit next to each other, even the town of Wembley is fully open before Challenge Cup Final, and not shut for the day like when football is there, these are just a couple of point's why rugby league is far more superior. could go on and on and on. 

By the way my Gender is Female and not male as stated on profile,

Edited by cathy0987
forgot one important fact i am female not male on profile
1 person likes this

As well as all the above about the superior game, local lads, good banter with opposition

Another point I'd make about supporting Barrow Rugby is the heritage and history. The Rugby won the Challenge Cup at Wembley. Who is Barrow's finest ever sportsman - it's probably a debate between Emlyn Hughes and Willie Horne but Emlyn was captain of Liverpool and went to live in Sheffield whereas Willie captained Barrow,stared for Barrow and lived all his life in Barrow.

As well as Willie Horne imagine a pair of centres like Phil Jackson and Dennis Goodwin - both locals, both starred for Barrow and Great Britain.

1 person likes this

Hope your survey works out for you guys, There are a few supporters who follow both codes maybe asking them a assist you will help out.

I wish many more people supported both codes in increasing numbers as both clubs would be stronger for it,  Good luck.