Toulouse & Toronto

1 hour ago, damp squib said:

Some people were genuinely suggesting that Toronto should pay for opposition team fans to fly out to Canada so people will believe anything really.

When I was living in California, Wakefield refused to organise my trip there for the St Helens game.

It's a farce and we are a laughing stock etc etc...

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I may be naive but cannot understand how people might expect the RFL to organise trips to France for club games. Most of us manage to organise foreign holidays nowadays without relying upon Red Hall, so Toulouse shouldn't be too much of a stretch I would have thought.

I agree,it's not like we walk into thomsons and ask them to arrange a rugby match so why ask the rfl to sort out a trip away

11 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I may be naive but cannot understand how people might expect the RFL to organise trips to France for club games. Most of us manage to organise foreign holidays nowadays without relying upon Red Hall, so Toulouse shouldn't be too much of a stretch I would have thought.

I dont think that was the point of the thread (i hope not).

My feeling is more a lack of guideline to encourage the clubs to "ease" the process. For example Toulouse proposed last year one or 2 trips to England to their fans, but i dont think that they have proposed negociated accomodations (hotel + trip + activities) to the english clubs so they could propose it to their fans (it is only what I think, they might have done it)..

of course it is not the RFL responsability, but above all, the point of the sport and of any competition is to "please/entertain your fans, your community", and bringing people and crowd to the stadium is certainly one of their issue.  

11 hours ago, LINNERS said:

Booked for the Batley game in a couple of weeks. Friday to Sunday via Manc. 1 day off work. Flights £70 and 2 night in a city centre Ibis hotel £35.

Bargain - flights were round the £200 mark last year and hotel was 3 nights at £70/night. We stayed at the Ibis Central too - so your rate is very good (though we booked late and the hotel was very busy). Blagnac (where the ground is) is about 25 minutes on the tram from central Toulouse, then a ten minute walk from the tram stop. Don't risk the fish salad.

IMAG0394_zpsvjvgze6q.jpg

12 hours ago, LINNERS said:

Booked for the Batley game in a couple of weeks. Friday to Sunday via Manc. 1 day off work. Flights £70 and 2 night in a city centre Ibis hotel £35.

Bargain not bad for a nice weekend of rugger in the south of France. I can think of worse things in worse places that cost more! ?

Speaking to people i think there will be around 50 supporters travelling over to Toronto from Hunslet. A dozen or so have booked so far, the rest are just waiting on the trips that Toronto are organizing. We were told they would be announced last Thursday but have still heard nothing.

Have been to Toulouse a few times mainly to be fair to watch Quins Union team but also using

that airport due to the lack of flights to Perpignan in late January to see Broncos in  a friendly

versus Catalan.Those were the days when Kieron Dixon was starting out and his last minute try

brought to a smile to my face on an otherwise forgettable occasion from a London point of view.

I think Cats got 40 odd but it could  have been seventy.

Those were the days when Rob Powell was head coach and Gus Mackay was the C.E.O. 

Best leave it there .

Already booked up to see Toulouse versus Broncos in mid June, and  Looking forward to it immensely.

Booked flights from Gatwick at £78 return a few weeks back friday pm to sunday pm

Hotels are reasonably priced,and going on last february`s prices it was no more than one and a half Euro`s` 

from the airport to the City centre which is about 25 mins on the tram. 

As for Toronto it clearly wasnt to be for an away fixture.for Skolars.

s  .

On 24/01/2017 at 7:26 AM, Oxford said:

You're right about being considered and they are quite aware but taking a role, leading, being proactive, organising and encouraging and RFL in the same sentence?

If it was the black and whites involved you might feel differently and be asking much the same questions.

The RFL would be straight in the dock for showing bias, doing favours, helping jonny foreigner, ignoring the heartlands etc. if they even dared think about taking the lead let alone doing it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

7 hours ago, Padge said:

The RFL would be straight in the dock for showing bias, doing favours, helping jonny foreigner, ignoring the heartlands etc. if they even dared think about taking the lead let alone doing it.

I'm not sure but I think you may have the wrong end the twig Padge. In order to make this innovation work it would be sensible of the RFL to work on how best to help fans make the journey. A transatlantic club isn't much of an adventure  if fans who want to and can can't or are put off.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I'm not sure but I think you may have the wrong end the twig Padge. In order to make this innovation work it would be sensible of the RFL to work on how best to help fans make the journey. A transatlantic club isn't much of an adventure if if fans who want to and can can't or are put off.

Yes it would make sense, that is why fans would be against the RFL if they did it for the reasons given.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Booked for Toulouse V Fev in July. Fly out with Flybe from Birmingham on Saturday morning about 9:30 am, 2hr flight gets you there in good time for game. Fly back Sunday afternoon about 3:30 I think? Just over 2 hours to fly back, so no need for a day off work.

30 minutes ago, nonbelievers said:

Can I suggest a combination of www.cheapflights.co.uk and www.travago.com

If you're incapable of sorting out flights and accommodation yourself, ask an adult to help you......insane thread....utterly insane

www.travago.com? Might need an adult to help you out there ;)

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

54 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

www.travago.com? Might need an adult to help you out there ;)

OOOPS.....TRIVAGO.

Still, pedantry police aside, the theory still stands......if you want to visit, then book it yourself. In either case there will not be the demand for tickets to warrant special price deals......it's another excuse to blame the RFL for something that isn't their fault...low attendances aren't their fault and neither are TV figures on the slide......that's us the fans....

5 hours ago, Padge said:

Yes it would make sense, that is why fans would be against the RFL if they did it for the reasons given.

So just to be clear, you think the fans  would react badly if the RFL got a deal with an airline or anything like that for fans to be able to travel because it woyld be interpreted as helping Toronto above other clubs?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

So just to be clear, you think the fans  would react badly if the RFL got a deal with an airline or anything like that for fans to be able to travel because it woyld be interpreted as helping Toronto above other clubs?

Yes. They'd be saying "Why aren't they arranging deals for people to visit Bradford or Sheffield? Don't they know they're in trouble and need as many fans as they can get?"

Soon, they'd have to arrange plans travel for everyone. It's not their job.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 24/01/2017 at 7:26 AM, Oxford said:

You're right about being considered and they are quite aware but taking a role, leading, being proactive, organising and encouraging and RFL in the same sentence?

If it was the black and whites involved you might feel differently and be asking much the same questions.

If it were the black and whites involved, I'd arrange my own travel and get my own tickets much like I did in 2006 for a group of 10 people when I was only 19 years old. It really isn't difficult and I never expected anyone else to do it.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

6 hours ago, Oxford said:

I'd rather they concentrated their intellectual firepower on arranging for the England team to play a game in England.

All it really needs is a topic on each club's individual forum whereby fans can advise others of flights, hotels, and cheap deals. Maybe fans of other clubs advising of hotels, restaurants and places to avoid etc. Plus it would be nice to know where other fans are staying and where they can all meet up for the evening if they wish to do so. Maybe the forum could also be used for fans to arrange collective travel to and from the airport.

10 hours ago, nonbelievers said:

OOOPS.....TRIVAGO.

Still, pedantry police aside, the theory still stands......if you want to visit, then book it yourself. In either case there will not be the demand for tickets to warrant special price deals......it's another excuse to blame the RFL for something that isn't their fault...low attendances aren't their fault and neither are TV figures on the slide......that's us the fans....

Don't know what the big deal is. We are going for Toronto v Hunslet. Toronto have said packages will be available. When these come out, if they suit our plans and budget we will use them. We would be foolish not to. If not, we will book independently.

1 hour ago, Steve Slater said:

All it really needs is a topic on each club's individual forum whereby fans can advise others of flights, hotels, and cheap deals. Maybe fans of other clubs advising of hotels, restaurants and places to avoid etc. Plus it would be nice to know where other fans are staying and where they can all meet up for the evening if they wish to do so. Maybe the forum could also be used for fans to arrange collective travel to and from the airport.

First tip Steve, avoid the fish salad.

rldfsignature.jpg

14 hours ago, Oxford said:

I'm not sure but I think you may have the wrong end the twig Padge. In order to make this innovation work it would be sensible of the RFL to work on how best to help fans make the journey. A transatlantic club isn't much of an adventure  if fans who want to and can can't or are put off.

I disagree. The adventure for RL is in having the transatlantic club in the first instance. One way that its success will be measured in by the number of home fans that turn up; the number of visiting fans is pretty well irrelevant.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 25/01/2017 at 8:43 AM, Hornetto said:

Bargain - flights were round the £200 mark last year and hotel was 3 nights at £70/night. We stayed at the Ibis Central too - so your rate is very good (though we booked late and the hotel was very busy). Blagnac (where the ground is) is about 25 minutes on the tram from central Toulouse, then a ten minute walk from the tram stop. Don't risk the fish salad.

Although if staying at the Ibis Central (or drinking in the Melting Pot) you're probably better getting a bus from the Jean D'Arc bus station next door that goes within 5 minutes of the stadium rather than hiking for the tram stop.

9 hours ago, Oxford said:

Yes, because they weren't helping with coach travel over the Pennines or around the corner between Leigh & Salford.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

Yes, because they weren't helping with coach travel over the Pennines or around the corner between Leigh & Salford.

When I lived in Astley, the solution of travel between Leigh and Salford was simple.  Get on a no 26 bus.  Does it still run?

Archived