Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scubby

Nigel faces the music - attendances not falling!

Recommended Posts

I'm no fan of Nigel Wood but I have some sympathy with him with some of the depressingly myopic questions being asked. All the usual Bradford conspiracies and heartland only fundamentalists whinging about Newcastle and Coventry. The "Bring back xyz" brigade are out in force as well with GB featuring prominently and even an appearance of the Yorkshire and Lancashire cups!

Does anyone else remember these golden ages when RL was top of the sporting pile that we'll return to if we only bring back everything the game abandoned over the last 120 years?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a look at the Twitter Q&A, and he came across pretty well, answering those questions which were of the "why oh why oh why" variety.

Many schemes to 'save' Rugby League usually boil down to "let's return to whatever we were doing the last time my club was top dog".

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 5

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Fair play to him for facing the music but there has to be a more constructive way than doing it on Twitter. Not sure what like...

140 characters cuts out the majority of rambling, abusive stuff from the kind of people who don't understand punctuation or paragraphs.

And the RFL has been criticised often enough for not making use of social media.

  • Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

140 characters cuts out the majority of rambling, abusive stuff from the kind of people who don't understand punctuation or paragraphs.

And the RFL has been criticised often enough for not making use of social media.

That's true. I was just basing it on the stuff I see on there a lot. All very Schofield-esque usually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

That's true. I was just basing it on the stuff I see on there a lot. All very Schofield-esque usually.

And that's just the putative supporters.

Edited by longboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

140 characters cuts out the majority of rambling, abusive stuff from the kind of people who don't understand punctuation or paragraphs.

 

You're kidding, right?

Why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why don't we bring back t'Yorkshire Cup??? It were brilliant.

Quote

And the RFL has been criticised often enough for not making use of social media.

And now we can criticise them for mis-using it. Total waste of time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, damp squib said:

I'm no fan of Nigel Wood but I have some sympathy with him with some of the depressingly myopic questions being asked. All the usual Bradford conspiracies and heartland only fundamentalists whinging about Newcastle and Coventry. The "Bring back xyz" brigade are out in force as well with GB featuring prominently and even an appearance of the Yorkshire and Lancashire cups!

Does anyone else remember these golden ages when RL was top of the sporting pile that we'll return to if we only bring back everything the game abandoned over the last 120 years?

I'd say that some of the questions weren't very inspired.

 

5 minutes ago, longboard said:

And that's just the putative supporters.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Did he answer all the questions or just a select few?

If you check the hashtag, I'm sure there were a few duplications, as well as incoherent rants, that didn't make it.

  • Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didnt know about this. Well done the RFL and Nigel for using it even if I wasnt too surprised by its outcome. Maybe Nigel was inspired by how well Donald Trump uses Twitter and thought I cant be the worst person to use it, what can go wrong? Overall Nigel has come out well and answered the Questions as they were. Part of the problem with Questions is they were not specific enough and so didnt really help us understand some things more than before. People moan about the RFL and Nigel, but he is on Twitter and does interviews etc. Its up to the Journos, as well as the Public on Twitter, to put him under pressure and maybe get him to explain better some things. Thats not his fault if this doesnt happen. I think alot of people have a go at Nigel and the RFL because they do not understand things and the RFL and Nigel never really go into great depths  to explan things either and we end up with people attacking him and the RFL when often its clubs or others that are at fault. I am not a fan of his and I dont agree with a number of things he has said. The problem is with a lot of things its down to statistics etc, it can easily be twisted and so its difficult to know the truth exactly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TaxiEgg said:

Didn't answer my question ?

What was your question?


Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

 

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, longboard said:

And that's just the putative supporters.

As opposite to the self-righteous supporters, who obviously are always correct.


"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was interested in this answer - which points to today:

NW: Tomorrow sees the launch of the 2017 season campaign with 15M+ people that will see it over the next 3 weeks. Let us know what you think

Sounds like an ITV ad? Could be Sky between football though

Edited by BenGilesRL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TaxiEgg said:

Didn't answer my question ?

 

 
Mick Doyle‏ @chairmickDo you think the community game enhances RL or do you just see it as a cash cow ? @TheRFL

What answer did you expect? It was also going to be something like:

1) Of course it enhances the game. It is the game. Its the founding block of every player's playing experience.

Rather than:

2) Cash cow. We make loadsa money from it. I love gooooold. Muhuhahahahahaha....

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BenGilesRL said:

I was interested in this answer - which points to today:

NW: Tomorrow sees the launch of the 2017 season campaign with 15M+ people that will see it over the next 3 weeks. Let us know what you think

Sounds like an ITV ad? Could be Sky between football though

I'd strongly expect it to be Sky. 15m people over 3 weeks isn't a particularly high reach, when you consider it is duplicated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Didnt know about this. Well done the RFL and Nigel for using it even if I wasnt too surprised by its outcome. Maybe Nigel was inspired by how well Donald Trump uses Twitter and thought I cant be the worst person to use it, what can go wrong? Overall Nigel has come out well and answered the Questions as they were.

I am not a fan of his and I dont agree with a number of things he has said. The problem is with a lot of things its down to statistics etc, it can easily be twisted and so its difficult to know the truth exactly. 

Go steady Lizzy you've said worse than "not a fan of his"  as for "Nigel has come out well" I suppose his destruction of the Bulls to a force lesser than even Halifax may have lightened your mood. If he can cheese Ken Davey off and get his hat trick round your parts, then your laughing.

As for the truth, Padge as always had it when he pointed out more matches means more fans, as aggregate attendances rise. Same people attending more games, but as every thing is shouted down to suit it may have missed you.

The net effect is late season players clapped out and as per Castleford unable to field fit teams with doctors running about needling players up. So there's your truth and I wonder if big Nige was asked about wringing more out of the same fans and player welfare?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Go steady Lizzy you've said worse than "not a fan of his"  as for "Nigel has come out well" I suppose his destruction of the Bulls to a force lesser than even Halifax may have lightened your mood. If he can cheese Ken Davey off and get his hat trick round your parts, then your laughing.

As for the truth, Padge as always had it when he pointed out more matches means more fans, as aggregate attendances rise. Same people attending more games, but as every thing is shouted down to suit it may have missed you.

The net effect is late season players clapped out and as per Castleford unable to field fit teams with doctors running about needling players up. So there's your truth and I wonder if big Nige was asked about wringing more out of the same fans and player welfare?

 

 

 

Another pathetic Post from you again. You try and say your thoughts as fact when they are not and then twist things. Neither Nigel Wood or the RFL destroyed the Bradford Bulls even though you try and peddle this as fact. The people running the Bradford Bulls at various times did. The RFL and Nigel Wood did not force Bradford to be FT in the Championship and they didnt force Bradford in to any system at all. But again its something that you fail to accept. I very much doubt that Nigel Wood and the RFL forced the new owners in to the Championship on -12 as the new owners could have simply said "Sorry we refuse to do that". As far as I see it, they have accepted the request-not demands of the RFL. But no doubt you can post exact facts to show that Nigel Wood destroyed the Bradford Bulls. And Rugby League for me is more than about Halifax or any particular club. But you being so warped, fail to see what me and others post and decide to twist our words to suit your thoughts.

I dont think Nigel Wood is the best man for the top Job at the RFL. But I think a number of problems are not the fault of Nigel Wood or the RFL, but the fault of others.The Dual Reg,doing away with the Reserves, alongside the weakening of the Academy, is the want of the SL Clubs, despite the RFL preferring other ways. But I am very concerned about the future of the game in a number of areas.I am yet to be convinced that the RFL, with Nigel Wood as leader, are doing the best job they can, that can give the game a good foundation for the future. Nigel has his viewpoints about things and in some cases, will use and abuse statistics to show he and the RFL are doing a good job. I however think that the RFL need some big changes, as I dont believe the future looks good for the game in a number of areas. Nigel and the RFL can spin or they want, but the fact is I think many are concerned about things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

 But no doubt you can post exact facts to show that Nigel Wood destroyed the Bradford Bulls.

"Exact" facts??

That Wood shoved the salary cap right up in the Championship and forced clubs to play SL clubs to get promotion did give the RFL a serious worry stated by themselves that someone may then go and overspend if they did,This came to fruition. 

The RFL's constant salary capping and checking on clubs ability to afford to compete financially (a feature especially of licensing) gives you a clue that the RFL have always taken a responsibility to ensure clubs don't overspend, but they slacked right off that and the result was Bradford. Again Lowes gave the game publicly away that Bulls could not stay professional but stay professional they did and Wood turned a Nelson like blind eye to this and like Nero fiddled whilst Bulls burned.

I am pleased that you don't argue that the rise in attendances was indeed Padge's "aggregate" attendances from simply playing more matches getting more money out of the same people. Please don't ask him for "exact facts" as he's done enough excellent hard work on that.

 

 

Edited by The Parksider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Go steady Lizzy you've said worse than "not a fan of his"  as for "Nigel has come out well" I suppose his destruction of the Bulls to a force lesser than even Halifax may have lightened your mood. If he can cheese Ken Davey off and get his hat trick round your parts, then your laughing.

As for the truth, Padge as always had it when he pointed out more matches means more fans, as aggregate attendances rise. Same people attending more games, but as every thing is shouted down to suit it may have missed you.

The net effect is late season players clapped out and as per Castleford unable to field fit teams with doctors running about needling players up. So there's your truth and I wonder if big Nige was asked about wringing more out of the same fans and player welfare?

 

 

 

 

26 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

"Exact" facts??

That Wood shoved the salary cap right up in the Championship and forced clubs to play SL clubs to get promotion did give the RFL a serious worry someone may then go and overspend if they did this came to fruition.

And it did. No amount of dissing me changes that.

Goodness me Parky but you do enjoy muddying the waters, don't you?

" forced clubs to play SL clubs to get promotion.. a serious worry they may overspend ....." you should write melodramas for a living, with Nigel Wood twirling his moustache and laughing villainously at the clubs tied to the railway tracks.

I won't answer these today because they've been answered and refuted that many times and you get too much stick as it is, but you always provide a right good laugh, thank you.

I do agree with you about too many games and clapped out players though!


  Job's worth, job's worth more than my job's worth         

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...