Just when you thought the news couldn't get any worse

As someone who grew up in the Tom Baker era, I don't think much of these modern Dr Whos' stamina. Mind you, when your day job is a road mender, you've got staying power.

B6TtmRFCAAEcneP.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is obviously of huge national importance as it formed part of my weekly YouGov questionaire today.

That were asking if I would tolerate a female Dr. As usual with these things there wasn't a box to tick I could relate to - like couldn't care less ?

7 hours ago, John Rhino said:

This is obviously of huge national importance as it formed part of my weekly YouGov questionaire today.

That were asking if I would tolerate a female Dr. As usual with these things there wasn't a box to tick I could relate to - like couldn't care less ?

Was it a special junior version; why else would they be asking your opinion about a children's programme? :P 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

On 1/31/2017 at 0:21 AM, John Drake said:

Pretty ambivalent tbh. I don't dislike his Dr, but then I haven't warmed to it either. Partly down to Capaldi but also that I'm not sure the writing has been too great recently (I've said this about Sherlock too - Moffatt has got ahead of himself, thinking he's too clever by half and forgotten about actual storytelling).

And I agree with the comment re the stamina of modern Drs. Far too short term imo. The show needs to return to 12 episodes a year, with the same Dr, for 4/5 years.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

The series is also getting a new producer, who will probably want to make a mark by doing things a bit differently.

The stamina thing is slightly tongue-in-cheek, as I fully understand that actors don't like to be pigeon-holed, for artistic and career reasons. I've seen Tom Baker play lots of different characters, but he's always Dr Who to me.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Funnily enough, I was thinking 'just when I thought the news couldn't get any worse' when I heard the first ads for the Six Nations popping up across BBC platforms earlier in the week.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

39 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Pretty ambivalent tbh. I don't dislike his Dr, but then I haven't warmed to it either. Partly down to Capaldi but also that I'm not sure the writing has been too great recently (I've said this about Sherlock too - Moffatt has got ahead of himself, thinking he's too clever by half and forgotten about actual storytelling).

And I agree with the comment re the stamina of modern Drs. Far too short term imo. The show needs to return to 12 episodes a year, with the same Dr, for 4/5 years.

I think the Moff has done some good stuff, but also too much 'incomprehensible to the average viewer' material in both shows, and he has made it harder for people to warm to Capaldi's Doctor. The recent Christmas special showed a lighter side though, if they keep that up for this year's series I won't be disappointed.

Apart from Tom Baker, few of the actors to play the part have stuck around much more than 3 years. It's a difficult role to shake off.

3 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

Was it a special junior version; why else would they be asking your opinion about a children's programme? :P 

That's a warnable offence y'know... ;)

12 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Funnily enough, I was thinking 'just when I thought the news couldn't get any worse' when I heard the first ads for the Six Nations popping up across BBC platforms earlier in the week.

No, I refuse to move this to cross-code!! ;)

5 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

I wondered that but as they regularly ask my age etc I'm sure it was deliberate. Questions sponsored by a betting company perhaps to gauge the odds? ?

32 minutes ago, John Rhino said:

I wondered that but as they regularly ask my age etc I'm sure it was deliberate. Questions sponsored by a betting company perhaps to gauge the odds? ?

I actually wrote it as a gentle wind up of John Drake. And it worked. :P 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

2 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Doesn't William Hartnell do it anymore? 

And before some wise acre tells me he's dead I would remind them that he isn't he's a Time Lord. 

Well, if you put it like that, yes, he's still doing it, but now he just looks like Peter Capaldi.

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

I think the Moff has done some good stuff, but also too much 'incomprehensible to the average viewer' material in both shows, and he has made it harder for people to warm to Capaldi's Doctor. The recent Christmas special showed a lighter side though, if they keep that up for this year's series I won't be disappointed.

Apart from Tom Baker, few of the actors to play the part have stuck around much more than 3 years. It's a difficult role to shake off.

True, the Christmas episode was an enjoyable one. I don't think the show is helped by having fallow years, I think there have been 2 in the recent past. It makes it all too disjointed. Watching it this Christmas I had to pause the damn thing 5 minutes in and talk to my Mrs about what happened last time out.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

• 2 weeks later...

Tilda swinton is now rumoured.  That would be different!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

33 minutes ago, davet said:

Would love to see Tom Hardy bring his "James Delaney" character from Taboo in to the doctor who role.

There would definatly be no messing around with villains then!!

As he eats the heart of a monster after gutting it....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

13 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Tilda swinton is now rumoured.  That would be different!

Does she have the action chops for it?  That's a genuine Q - she doesn't strike me as the right kind of actor for the role?

Mind you, I haven't seen it in years.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived