Deranged Drunk Guy

Balkans Super League

36 posts in this topic

Apparently a Balkans Super League will start soon with clubs from Serbia, Bulgaria, Bosnia Herezegovina, Turkey and possibly Greece participating. If so this will be great news for the continual development for the sport. 

Here is the link if anyone is interested it is in Serbian so google translate will be needed. 

http://ragbiliga.rs/2017/02/01/креће-балканска-супер-лига/

The 8 teams been talked about been in the Super League are :

Red Star - Serbia

Novi Beograd - Serbia

Dorcol - Serbia

Partizan - Serbia

Vitez - Bosnia and Herzegovina

Budapest - Hungary 

Lokomotiv Sofia - Bulgaria

Kadikoy Bulls Istanbul - Turkey

Edited by Deranged Drunk Guy
1 person likes this

Throw it in google translate for more detail.

it hasn't been locked in, not all clubs have agreed and other clubs are also showing an interest in joining.

It is an exciting development.

Well, good to hear. 

But I'm skeptic about costs. 

Interesting times for the game in SE Europe. :) 

Would be a massive step forward for the game in that whole region, but in particular for Serbia. To have their best players competing at a higher level improves their national team, and then allowing the other clubs to focus on development pushes that end too. Could provide a real impetus for the Serbs. Exciting initiative.

19 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Would be a massive step forward for the game in that whole region, but in particular for Serbia. To have their best players competing at a higher level improves their national team, and then allowing the other clubs to focus on development pushes that end too. Could provide a real impetus for the Serbs. Exciting initiative.

Well, I think it will helps the other nations too, as they'll get the chance to play vs the Serbians. 

My main issue with it is, as I stated before, money. 

It doesn't seem to be all this interest in RL outside Serbia. 

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

IMO it will be a step down for the Serbs to be playing Hungarian, Turkish and Greek teams who have barely played any RL of note themselves.

2 people like this

45 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

IMO it will be a step down for the Serbs to be playing Hungarian, Turkish and Greek teams who have barely played any RL of note themselves.

Not if all of the best players n Serbia are pooled into those four teams, with the best coaching, facilities, etc. Even if it's just the all-Serbian games that are of a higher standard then it would be an improvement on the current domestic league where one or two teams win handsomely most weeks.

1 person likes this

If this actually got going I wonder if SL/CC teams could send youth/reserve players out on loan to these clubs? If you had a quota of say two or three players per club it could really help improve the standard of the league and build up relationships between the league and SL/CC clubs.

1 person likes this

It might be a Google Translate issue but why would they call it "British Super League"?

I think this is a good way for the game in Europe to go. Have a combined regional SL competition such as this and then each country could have a domestic league below to develop players and allow new teams to be created. 

Would something similar work in the Western Mediterranean?

Damp Squid no it definitely does not translate  to British Super League. As for the idea of loaning out youth/reserve players could be a possibility.... 

On 3/2/2017 at 7:27 PM, JM2010 said:

I think this is a good way for the game in Europe to go. Have a combined regional SL competition such as this and then each country could have a domestic league below to develop players and allow new teams to be created. 

Would something similar work in the Western Mediterranean?

It would cost too much, I'm afraid. 
It's already difficult to have trips for Int tests etc....

Would this be like a Champions League style tournament or is it a replacement for the domestic leagues? If it's the former then great, not so much if it's the latter. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Replacement for the Domestic Leagues. With the various countries working on developing talent in the minor leagues in those countries if that makes sense. 

1 person likes this

No it wouldn't, teams who play, would still play in their domestic leagues.  Otherwise they will only have a few matches all season.  It would be like 'champions league', even though I hate to make such a comparison, but I get what you mean by using that example.

Posted (edited)

LangPark thats what i heard unless things have changed to what you have stated. 

Whatever the case is as long as the people running the sport try and be proactive with new ideas it can only benefit the growth in the region. 

On Monday, March 06, 2017 at 8:06 AM, langpark said:

No it wouldn't, teams who play, would still play in their domestic leagues.  Otherwise they will only have a few matches all season.  It would be like 'champions league', even though I hate to make such a comparison, but I get what you mean by using that example.

More like Unions Super Rugby then.

It may work if there is interest from Sports TV Channels fingers crossed.

1 person likes this

Heading to Red Star V Dorcol tomorrow. , cant wait!

Brilliant!  I'll be watching both matches on live stream!

On 08/04/2017 at 8:38 PM, iangidds said:

Heading to Red Star V Dorcol tomorrow. , cant wait!

How was it mate?  I was having trouble with the stream, missed most of both matches.  Results were:

Vitez 10-66 Partizan
Red Star 46-0 Dorcol

Big defeat for Dorcol, are they no longer the big boys of Serbian RL?