Sign in to follow this  
moorside roughyed

Oldham game

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Enjoyed the game despite a heavy pitch and the soccer nets left up behind/adjacent to the sticks.

The best side won.

The referee,like everyone else,gets up to speed as the season progresses - however,surprised Naylor mouthed at him as he past him on the field at half time and then waited for him and had another go.I like Naylor as a coach and I thought Oldham got most of the decisions in the first 40.A little frustrated that Ben Blackmore was yellow carded when 3 separate Oldham players raised their hands to him while he showed remarkable restraint.( I always dread the touch judge entering the field of play )

Most of the Oldham players were there last year.We have had a large turnover and are now part time.They struggled to assimilate last year when full time when again we had around 10 new players.

I bet Dave Hewitt was delighted with his score against a former club.I still don't know who passed it to him - being behind the sticks and the pass from the base of the scrum when sometimes the full back is positioned there.

I still saw enough to be optimistic.

I was a little concerned when Owen went down with a head injury after getting his head in the wrong place against Mexico.He stayed on the pitch and seemed to have suffered no ill-effects but a worry nontheless.

I quite enjoy watching Oldham.Well coached.Work as a team.Always difficult when Oldham are at home.

We'll get better,and await the outcome and performance on hopefully a dry surface.

It was our first competitive game since major worries so relieved that we live to fight another day.

• Like 3

I think Sheffield will improve rapidly. Some of your boys were blowing hard from about 30 mins in. Whilst nothing came off for Chisholm? (ex Bradford scrum half) on another day it will all go right. This season is going to be harder than last with lots of twists n turns on the way for everyone.

2 hours ago, LittleboroRoughyed said:

I think Sheffield will improve rapidly. Some of your boys were blowing hard from about 30 mins in. Whilst nothing came off for Chisholm? (ex Bradford scrum half) on another day it will all go right. This season is going to be harder than last with lots of twists n turns on the way for everyone.

We did a lot of defending.I agree about Dane Chisholm.When we all get up to speed with him it should look very good.

I think there will be lots of twists and turns on and off the field.

I recall Leigh losing their first game,last year.

It didn't turn out too bad for them.

It may very well be that every minute/second does count all the way through this campaign.

Mark Aston is expecting it to take about a month for improvement,in todays press - http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/new-look-sheffield-eagles-will-take-time-to-blossom-1-8373545

Lots of rugby league to look forward to.

Those other clubs in your neck of the woods won't be pushovers,either.

Swinton have a quality side and Rochdale have got off to a good start.

Good stuff...

This season is going to be a good one,more demanding,more intensive than last season. Good that we still have a Sheffield eagles, the fans at the fold were vocal which is good to see and hear.I did notice however that your number 7 was the cleanest player I've ever seen at the end of a game(we used to get rolled around in the mud at school if that happened).Nice to see the eagles up and running again,the game desperately needs to retain its clubs.Not that many eagles fans post on here,come on you eagles,get involved.