18/19 Feb: Kingstone Press League 1 Cup - Round 1 - Match Thread

Absolute farce here at Whitehaven. Crowd in, players ready to go for 2pm kick off. Doctor inspects medical box just before KO and finds several life saving items (e.g. Adrenaline) missing and several of the other drugs are out of date. Somebody from Haven is now doing a mad dash around local medical centres trying to get replacements. Now 55 mins late kicking off and no sign of it being imminent. Was brought forward to a 2pm KO because Haven's floodlights are rubbish so may well end up being postponed.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Game finally kicked off at 3.20 ! Just witnessed a bizarre incident, Town player was hit late off the ball and TJ comes on waving the flag. Ref stops the game and consults with TJ then brandishes yellow card at Haven player-coach Forster. Forster stands there for 2 minutes arguing that it wasn't him and eventually the ref puts the card away, let's Forster stay on and puts it on report instead !

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Game finally kicked off at 3.20 ! Just witnessed a bizarre incident, Town player was hit late off the ball and TJ comes on waving the flag. Ref stops the game and consults with TJ then brandishes yellow card at Haven player-coach Forster. Forster stands there for 2 minutes arguing that it wasn't him and eventually the ref puts the card away, let's Forster stay on and puts it on report instead !

What an odd decision that was, but anyway....

"The town are having a partyyyyyy......the jam are in the bin....The jam are in the bin, the jam are in the bin, the town are having a partyyyyyy, the jam are in the bin"...

7 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

And it is? Pleasantly surprised to see the Cru sneak home - always good to win the first competitive game of the season.

Took some finding......

Quarter-Final Draw to be played 1-2 April:

All Golds v Workington

Newcastle v Crusaders

Barrow v Keighley

Oxford v Skolars

Glad we won today although was a lot closer than the first half suggested it was. I suspect that South Wales will not be such a walk over this season compared to previous ones. Skolars have a tendency to lose focus for periods in games which has cost us points, hope that was not the case today. Away to Oxford, who appear to be actively marketing and now have an official supporters club!

15 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Looks like becoming Dewsbury reserves went well for Hemel. I wonder how many of the disgruntled fan base turned up.

Not many ..Watched Hemel every game last year as my nephew was playing for em - now hes gone to All- Golds -sad to see few of the regulars turn up at Pennine Way today .Summed it up when there was two coaches parked outside the ground and one of my party commented that the home team had probably traveled farther to get to the game than the away team .

Despite their playing record I enjoyed watching the Stags last year , there was a spirit there that had its base in the town , the boys on the field has some connection to the club however loose ,today was just hollow n without passion and  to be fair thoroughly pointless .....

16 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Took some finding......

Quarter-Final Draw to be played 1-2 April:

All Golds v Workington

Newcastle v Crusaders

Barrow v Keighley

Oxford v Skolars

Thanks for posting this - I hadn't been able to find it.

At least two "non-traditional" clubs into the semi-finals.

Could end up with a rematch of the 1955 Challenge Cup final at some point?

Cracking game at York yesterday. Crusaders score in the last minute. Tommy Johnson kicks the goal as the hooter goes to make it 16 - All. Extra time sees york move down the pitch in their firs set of six but fluff the drop goal attempt. North Wales Crusaders re-gather the ball and attack the York end. Jack Hansen drops the goal.... and it sails over to secure a golden point win for Crusaders.

Edge of the seat stuff. No fingernails left!

A huge "Diolch yn Fawr" to the York fans who were fantastic hosts.

3 hours ago, JonM said:

Thanks for posting this - I hadn't been able to find it.

At least two "non-traditional" clubs into the semi-finals.

Could end up with a rematch of the 1955 Challenge Cup final at some point?

I was there that day and would certainly like a repeat. 

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Archived