Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RugbyDIss

University Dissertation

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I am writing my university dissertation on the introduction of North American rugby league in the English game..

I have a survey link below, and I would appreciate it if anyone would take a couple of minutes out of their time to fill it in please. It is just a series of Yes or No answers and will take no longer than a couple of minutes to complete - it is completely anonymous.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/KMSZC38

1 person likes this

Shame about the question:

"Would you rather the RFL give money to the smaller English clubs (Batley, Dewsbury, Whitehaven) over foreign teams such as Toulouse and Toronto?"

which is misleading as it implies the RFL are giving money to Toronto - when as  I understand it they are not.

You either need to do a little more research before you launch such questionnaires or, if you are aware of Toronto being self-funded then you need to not ask misleading questions.

5 people like this

I've completed the survey but skipped that question.

I don't mean to be harsh but if I was your dissertation supervisor I would get you to start over with that question corrected. Presumably you'll have a methods section in which you justify your choice of questions and you won't find a reference to back that up. The question is based on a false premise and if whoever is marking it checks your referencing properly you could lose marks.

If you really want to examine a potential conflict between expansion and heartland clubs you could ask something like:

"Do you think applications for entry into Championship 1 should be restricted to UK based clubs" or something like that.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Shame about the question:

"Would you rather the RFL give money to the smaller English clubs (Batley, Dewsbury, Whitehaven) over foreign teams such as Toulouse and Toronto?"

which is misleading as it implies the RFL are giving money to Toronto - when as  I understand it they are not.

You either need to do a little more research before you launch such questionnaires or, if you are aware of Toronto being self-funded then you need to not ask misleading questions.

Agreed. This question just revives the non-arguments people put forward ad nauseam when Toronto first bid to be part of our league system. Lots of posts from people pretending that all that money for the Wolfpack was being wrenched from the needy hands of heartland clubs by the evil RFL and their foreign chums. It was as bogus and (in many cases deliberately) misleading a rallying call as promising £350 million a week to the NHS.

Edited by Futtocks
1 person likes this

I too have filled it in, but left a couple of questions blank. 

The problem with quantitative research and dichotomous or multi choice questions is that it fails to pick up what people are often really concerned about.

Is this dissertation part of a sports degree, business studies or what?

Would be interesting to know the context.(I am a University Marketing Lecturer)

I have completed but would echo the points above - good luck with the dissertation though

1 person likes this

I'm going to go a little further than my previous post and say that, given what you're dissertation is trying to find out, it is pretty much essential that you change or remove that question for it to have any validity. My advice is to bite the bullet and change it as soon as possible before you get too many responses!

1 hour ago, Tattersfieldtreiziste said:

The problem with quantitative research and dichotomous or multi choice questions is that it fails to pick up what people are often really concerned about.

You could have a text box at the end of the survey for any other comments. It gives you a way of picking up on any opinion trends your survey might not have captured.

I agree with the above statements. I have filled in the survey with one or two omissions! As a Batley supporter, I found the questions to be not accurately worded well enough to solicit genuine responses! Certainly naming specific Championship clubs raised my hackles, though I think I understood the general points you were trying develop (or endeavour to find out about.) Perhaps asking about Championship clubs generally and not naming specific clubs, especially my own in my case, would have led to more accurate answers.

Oh and I would agree with the point above which suggests a box for any other comments. 

Edited by distantdog

we should start another thread - rugby league fans who work in universities and what they teach/research! 

Done it, but agree with the above sentiments. If time permits, RugbyDIss, maybe regard this as a pilot, take on board these comments and amend your survey? I certainly agree that a qualitative element would really enhance this. Just a simple thematic analysis of text comments would add a lot.

If you're not sure have a look at this, gives you a nice clear way of tackling thematic analysis: Braun, V. and Clarke, V. 2006. Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qualitative Research in Psychology, 3(2), pp.77-101.