Rugby League goes Primal

FOUNDED IN SEPTEMBER 2015, SOUTH LONDON SILVERBACKS ARE ALL SET FOR THEIR COMPETITIVE DEBUT IN 2017 AFTER 18 MONTHS OF CAREFUL PLANNING... SILVERBACKS' MIKE FARROW TELLS THEIR STORY.

"After the Beckenham Bears had fizzled out due to moving out to East Surrey, the goal was to return Rugby League to the borough of Bromley and start afresh with a new branding and a new approach.

The Bears had been successful to a point, but the club had never been able to put down real roots and had tried to run before it could walk - we felt that the club hadn't done itself or its players justice in the preceding three years.

So the new committee put together a plan of action which excited players and administrators. The only spanner in the works was finding a suitable home. After an exhaustive search and two false starts, our self-imposed deadline for 2016 expired and we decided to put off starting until 2017. Shortly afterwards, our first choice ground became available at Club Langley in Beckenham.

The delay proved to be a blessing in disguise as it allowed us to really get our ducks in a row.

We have landed a highly-experienced Director of Rugby League in former Wigan Warriors player, Nigel Wright, whose depth of knowledge just astounds us.

Our landlord is also incredibly supportive and views this as a multi-year project. We've already become part of their long-term plan, which is really encouraging. We have a contact book of great players who all just want a home ground to play at - ultimately, we're very positive about the season ahead.

Pre-season starts on the 8th of February at 7:30pm Club Langley, Beckenham, BR3 3SR.

We plan to start playing pre-season games in March with a home-and-away fixture already set up against the Sussex Merlins and we are also in the process of arranging a fixture against North Brussels Gorillas of Belgium RL in early May, which is an exciting and encouraging fixture for both of us."

Any new players, no experience required, should report to Club Langley; 2 Hawksbrook Lane, Beckenham BR3 3SR every wednesday at 7.30pm

For more information, visit slsilverbacks.com, contact slsilverbacks@gmail.com or drop them a message on Facebook, search: South London Silverbacks.

Welcolme to the Troop 

Primal resize.jpg

Edited by South London Silverbacks
  • Like 21

The very best of luck! Landing Nigel Wright is quite a coup.

• Like 1

Best of luck with this. Just an observation, I've just had a look at the Silverbacks' website and specifically the shop. I'd happily buy some community teams' gear, especially those not based in the north. But for some reason they tend to mainly offer dark coloured polo and t shirts when I'd sooner buy light coloured stuff to wear during the summer. I realise they won't be catering for me alone, as I said it's just an observation. 

On 2/16/2017 at 6:37 PM, DoubleD said:

What league will they be playing in and is it just open age?

London & SE Championship, which is the continuation of the London Merit League/London League.  It is open age and masters at the moment.  Walk before you can run etc.

Our genuine aim and hope over the next five years is to be the best of the rest in the London & SE region.  We don't have the cache of Wests or Hammersmith, nor the location advantages of Chargers, nor the sheer catchment area and regional pull of Eastern Rhinos.  However, everybody else in our region is either suburban or provincial and we feel that with some time and work, we could be as good as any of them.

In my opinion, there's a truckload of League talent sitting in this area, sitting in third and fourth teams of Union sides.  They have a great skillset for our game but they're not suited to the scrappy, set piece-driven nature of Union.  They're league players, they just don't know it.

On 2/16/2017 at 9:56 PM, Number 16 said:

Storm Masters is part of the new entity. 

I understand that training numbers are v. good - two teams?

Juniors are on the horizon...

It's something we'd thought about for a while.  We're not sharing with or renting from a Union club so it makes sense for all involved.

Numbers have been good thus far.  Weird thing is, despite 18 months of solid PR, some players have only now started to come out of the woodwork.  Once players have seen that there's a method behind what we're doing and that the training is solid and well-planned, they have bought in and their nag factor has kicked in.  They're the ones talking to friends, colleagues and ex-teammates and driving a second wave of recruitment, which is pleasing.  We've always framed this project as a club by players for players.

However, we're pretty clear for now.  The aims of a junior club and the conditions required to create a successful junior club can be very different to that of an adult club.  We have an informal relationship with Bromley Bengals, who play out at Bromley RFC, for now and there would need to be a sea change for us to go that way.  It's not in the plans and I know the plans because I wrote them.

On 2/16/2017 at 10:33 PM, Johnoco said:

My lad lives in Bromley, I'll tell him to get his ###### down there. :clapping:

Cool.  If he can follow us on Facebook (South London Silverbacks) or on Twitter (@slsilverbacks), all the info is there.  The club postcode is BR3 3SR.  If he's in Bromley, it's an easy drive or he can get the 358 towards Crystal Palace from pretty much every part of Bromley High Street.  The stop is Langley Park School, walk back on yourself to where the schools are and we're the first right turn, about 150m up Hawksbrook Lane.  A big reason we wanted this ground is accessibility by car, train and buses.

On 2/16/2017 at 10:42 PM, DoubleD said:

Are South London Storm still going? So you have teams in Croydon and Bromley

When Storm relaunched as a standalone club, the decision was made after a season to throw their lot in with Croydon Hurricanes.  Not to speak for Number 16 or their club but it was my understanding that there were issues, most notably that the setup down in Lloyd Park in Croydon worked for juniors but not open age.  You need a comfortable clubhouse or, at the very least, a pub nearby.  Brixton don't have a clubhouse either but they're close enough to amenities that they can have a little food at the ground and then head off to a nearby pub.  Lloyd Park doesn't have that.  There are other issues beyond that but it's not my place to gossip.

Brixton Bulls are just over the border from Croydon borough into Lambeth.

On 2/17/2017 at 6:42 PM, deluded pom? said:

Best of luck with this. Just an observation, I've just had a look at the Silverbacks' website and specifically the shop. I'd happily buy some community teams' gear, especially those not based in the north. But for some reason they tend to mainly offer dark coloured polo and t shirts when I'd sooner buy light coloured stuff to wear during the summer. I realise they won't be catering for me alone, as I said it's just an observation. 

The kit is black and red, that's the issue.  We do have some merchandise up our sleeves which are in lighter colours, potentially silver/grey.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 6:05 PM, Futtocks said:

The very best of luck! Landing Nigel Wright is quite a coup.

Many years ago, I met a guy who was a genuine Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt.  I thought I'd learn crazy gi chokes or ridiculous transitions as that how I rolled.  Really, what I learned from him was better fundamentals and how to simplify my game.  Nigel is exactly the same.  He's overhauled our defence and attack by just making it easier for the players to understand.  However, players have been used to running around like headless chickens for years so it will take time for people to get used to the new structure and being a bit more disciplined.  To borrow an adage, simple Rugby is the most difficult kind to play.

Right now?  Chargers, Wests, Hammersmith, Richmond, Brixton, Newham, Silverbacks... I think that's it right now.

Are Rutlish really starting?  I can't find the post where they said they were going open age and then Old Ruts website only says juniors.

There are still large swathes of the capital with no senior RL.

1 hour ago, bbfaz said:

Are Rutlish really starting?  I can't find the post where they said they were going open age and then Old Ruts website only says juniors.

There are still large swathes of the capital with no senior RL.

There was a comment re Rutlish on the Community forum, I think it was.

There will always be areas that remain uncovered - the whole of Zone 1 and large parts of Zone 2 in London for example will never have a club - because of the lack of available pitches. The obvious gaps would be North West London and Zone 6 west out Uxbridge way. Fill those and no one down here should be too far from a club. Re-gaining Greenwich & Hainault would be nice.

All the very best for the future.Rugby league is the best sport in the world and I'm sure it will catch on.Good luck.From an Oldham roughyeds fan.

2 hours ago, nadera78 said:

There was a comment re Rutlish on the Community forum, I think it was.

There will always be areas that remain uncovered - the whole of Zone 1 and large parts of Zone 2 in London for example will never have a club - because of the lack of available pitches. The obvious gaps would be North West London and Zone 6 west out Uxbridge way. Fill those and no one down here should be too far from a club. Re-gaining Greenwich & Hainault would be nice.

I think I was the one who made said comment.  A friend found a post on their website but it seems to have been taken down.

Do the Rutlish shun the trappings of modern life? Do they wear long shorts and shirts made of cotton? Do the forwards wear shoulder pads? Do they play with a heavy brown leather ball? 

17 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Right now?  Chargers, Wests, Hammersmith, Richmond, Brixton, Newham, Silverbacks... I think that's it right now.

Wasn't there a new team from Reading starting up this year?

11 minutes ago, audois said:

Even allowing for some fringe towns like Hemel to be included in our list, Reading is really, really, really not London.

47 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Even allowing for some fringe towns like Hemel to be included in our list, Reading is really, really, really not London.

Maybe audois mixed Berks and Londoners up?

bbfaz - apologies if I got the junior bit wrong, but I thought I'd read somewhere about the club being linked with the local school. 

Regarding the clubs in and around London, my son tells me that Luton Vipers may be returning as a few of his mates at Stockwood Park RFC are interested in giving RL a try.

On 2/20/2017 at 3:06 PM, audois said:

As nadera said, Reading isn't London by any means.  However, I was involved with helping Reading last summer when I had a job in the Thames Valley.   I am still marginally involved and they will be playing games this season.  The issue that they have is they want to be in the West of England League but there's no entry/merit setup in that region so they have to play friendlies/nines tournaments until they have a sustainable playing base, which will hopefully be in place for 2018.

22 hours ago, Number 16 said:

bbfaz - apologies if I got the junior bit wrong, but I thought I'd read somewhere about the club being linked with the local school. 

Regarding the clubs in and around London, my son tells me that Luton Vipers may be returning as a few of his mates at Stockwood Park RFC are interested in giving RL a try.

The ground is opposite the Langley Park Schools, which is where the confusion may come from.  We will be spread too thin if we did juniors too.  You need a lot of volunteers just to run one age group, due to the RFL's regulations on coaching and child welfare.  If a team came along and were looking to pair up with us, that's another matter and a bridge we'd have to cross if we came to it.

I saw Luton Vipers on Twitter, they even somehow got a shout out on Sky Sports News!  They're going into the East Region merit league IIRC.

I got a call from Elmbridge Eagles, they're looking to start again at an open age, this time under the leadership/coaching of Kevin Rudd, former Executive Officer for the Rugby League European Federation.  If they could make a better go of it than the last time - the open age folded in 2014 - then it'd be great to have them back.  Personally, based on what I was told back then, I think they need to expand and diversify their player base.  Sometimes, all-ages clubs can be too reliant on just recruiting players from their youth section.

I did know of another team that were looking to start in London but, for various reasons, they didn't get off the ground.

36 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

As nadera said, Reading isn't London by any means.  However, I was involved with helping Reading last summer when I had a job in the Thames Valley.   I am still marginally involved and they will be playing games this season.  The issue that they have is they want to be in the West of England League but there's no entry/merit setup in that region so they have to play friendlies/nines tournaments until they have a sustainable playing base, which will hopefully be in place for 2018.

The ground is opposite the Langley Park Schools, which is where the confusion may come from.  We will be spread too thin if we did juniors too.  You need a lot of volunteers just to run one age group, due to the RFL's regulations on coaching and child welfare.  If a team came along and were looking to pair up with us, that's another matter and a bridge we'd have to cross if we came to it.

I saw Luton Vipers on Twitter, they even somehow got a shout out on Sky Sports News!  They're going into the East Region merit league IIRC.

I got a call from Elmbridge Eagles, they're looking to start again at an open age, this time under the leadership/coaching of Kevin Rudd, former Executive Officer for the Rugby League European Federation.  If they could make a better go of it than the last time - the open age folded in 2014 - then it'd be great to have them back.  Personally, based on what I was told back then, I think they need to expand and diversify their player base.  Sometimes, all-ages clubs can be too reliant on just recruiting players from their youth section.

I did know of another team that were looking to start in London but, for various reasons, they didn't get off the ground.

Thanks for the reply. I thought  that the Eastern Rhinos from Suffock played in the London Premier and linked their participation to Reading's future aspirations.