Recommended Posts

Eastern Rhinos play out of Colchester. My understanding is that they have always resisted moving to the East as they find it easier to get in and out of London rather than travel to some of the towns in the Eastern league. The standard of the London Premier is appreciably higher as well

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, audois said:

Thanks for the reply. I thought  that the Eastern Rhinos from Suffock played in the London Premier and linked their participation to Reading's future aspirations.

Just picking up what I've heard at various league events down the years...

Eastern are a self-styled regional team.  They play in the London Premier because, in their opinion, it's the highest level of Rugby in the South of England.  It's a view their players must share as some come from across East Anglia, even as far away as Peterborough, to play and train with them.  Their positioning in Colchester means that with careful planning, they can take advantage of train offers such as 2-for-1s from Colchester to London, which cuts the costs to players and clubs and gives them their pick of the players.

I wouldn't think Reading would make much difference to them.  In saying that, a strong Reading team would make the West of England League much more viable for Portsmouth and Southampton, as would another Hampshire teams, such as Winchester or Andover.  The issue is, the mechanism Southampton were going to use to grow RL in Hampshire and the South Coast - Hampshire Youth RL - was utterly destroyed for no good reason by other people.  However, that's a discussion for another time and one that hopefully involves some experts on the situation.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick update:

Played our first game today.  A pre-season friendly against Sussex Merlins at home.  I think it's the first friendly of the season between two London & SE clubs.  The referee told me it was 52-22 to the home side, though the captain insisted it was 52-16!  Good numbers out today, people are paying their membership and we even have a few non-playing membership.

Players and spectators are very complimentary of the facilities. Club Langley is a pleasant and comfortable venue and there was a lot of hard work done before the game to get to this point.

We even have a commemorative matchday programme which can be viewed here.

Next game is next week, away to Brixton Bulls.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see SL Silverbacks are playing the North Brussels Gorillas on Saturday 6 May. Great to see this sort of link-up taking place and I'll be there.

C3AyR7tXgAAX0Yp.jpg

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Red-hot primate-on-primate action! :blush: 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the set up, playing wise? I'm living in BR1 and would quite like to get back into playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, andyscoot said:

What is the set up, playing wise? I'm living in BR1 and would quite like to get back into playing.

Hi Andy, I have no involvement with the club so hopefully someone who does will have an informed view. But I do know that they are keen for new players as they are a brand new club and there is information about training etc on their website. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy, sorry for talking a while to come back to you but had a lot on my plate.  The club is based in Beckenham at Club Langley, BR3 3SR, which is opposite the Langley Park schools.

Bus route is simple from Bromley High Street, just take the 358 bus to Crystal Palace and alight at the Langley Park Schools stop.  Alternatively, if you know a route to the Chinese Garage by car, take the exit to the left of the Chinese Garage, South Eden Park Road, and Hawksbrook Lane is at the other end.

We have the game this weekend against North Brussels and if you want to come along as a spectator, that's great.  Training is every Wednesday right now.  Like us on Facebook at https://facebook.com/slsilverbacks, drop us a message from there and we can keep you in the loop.

We'd be very happy to have you on board.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly this afternoon's game was abandoned on 65-ish minutes due to a nasty head/concussion injury suffered by one of the North Brussels players.

North Brussels were well on the way to victory in what was an ill-tempered game which the ref did well to keep a lid with a number of sinbins (especially for South London players). It should be said that the injury came about from a hard but fair challenge which took place right in front of me.

Well done to the two young women who did a great job looking after the injured player, and I hope he recovers well from what looked like, at best, a broken nose and a very sore head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Physios were on the spot and stopped a bad situation being much worse.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update.  There has been a bit more consistency of selection in recent weeks.  Certain players have developed an understanding being alongside each other.  Centres with wingers, hooker with halves.  We've been able to start the same four of out of six in the pack two games running, with a couple of other familiar players rotating in at the other two positions.

As a result, we have managed to put a little win streak together. We managed to win tight ones over Hammersmith A and Elmbridge but had a 49-0 blow-out over Newham yesterday.  No knock on Newham but it has been coming, just needed to stop shooting ourselves in the foot.  They're going through a tough season but it was a bonus to not concede.

Next week it's West Warriors A, followed by a return fixture away to Brixton.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/05/2017 at 2:04 AM, bbfaz said:

Hi Andy, sorry for talking a while to come back to you but had a lot on my plate.  The club is based in Beckenham at Club Langley, BR3 3SR, which is opposite the Langley Park schools.

Bus route is simple from Bromley High Street, just take the 358 bus to Crystal Palace and alight at the Langley Park Schools stop.  Alternatively, if you know a route to the Chinese Garage by car, take the exit to the left of the Chinese Garage, South Eden Park Road, and Hawksbrook Lane is at the other end.

We have the game this weekend against North Brussels and if you want to come along as a spectator, that's great.  Training is every Wednesday right now.  Like us on Facebook at https://facebook.com/slsilverbacks, drop us a message from there and we can keep you in the loop.

We'd be very happy to have you on board.

 

Even better. The 358 goes right past my flat. I'll certainly pop down to watch you guys. I'm not sure I'm quite there fitness wise but certain working on it.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andyscoot said:

Even better. The 358 goes right past my flat. I'll certainly pop down to watch you guys. I'm not sure I'm quite there fitness wise but certain working on it.

Cheers

Andy you will get there mate. You need a montage!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought you said "mortgage" instead of "montage" and thought you were making a joke about the cost of travel in London haha.

Yeah I will but it's been a while since I played! Noticed your next home game is on the 10th. The missus is up north for a hen do so I've got Saturday fee, just might pop down to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update:

So, it is the business end of the season.  A late surge by London Chargers A saw them snatch fourth place in the London & South East Championship.  Brixton pulled away at the top by virtue of playing a couple of extra games and nabbing these controversial bonus points.  So it left us and Wests Warriors Pounamu to duke it out for 2nd and 3rd.  We had a cancellation, they played an extra game and, once again, bonus points came into play and pushed Wests into 2nd.  No hard feelings against them, the competition has very strange and antiquated rules that will hopefully be reviewed out of existence this winter.

So semi-finals were set for last weekend:
Brixton Bulls vs. London Chargers A
Wests Warriors Pounamu vs. South London Silverbacks

Bulls beat Chargers 24-6 (I believe) but the 'Backs and Warriors went to war, as only warriors and, erm, gorillas can.  Silverbacks took an early 12-0 lead but Wests scored 18 unanswered points to drag themselves to sniffing distance of the Grand Final.  Silverbacks broke back with a game-leveller and a tense period was finally broken when the away side scored again to take a 18-24 lead and finally put the exclamation mark with another converted try.   It finished 18-30 to the Silverbacks, setting up an all-South of the River final in North London, at the New River Stadium this coming Saturday.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

Quick update:

So, it is the business end of the season.  A late surge by London Chargers A saw them snatch fourth place in the London & South East Championship.  Brixton pulled away at the top by virtue of playing a couple of extra games and nabbing these controversial bonus points.  So it left us and Wests Warriors Pounamu to duke it out for 2nd and 3rd.  We had a cancellation, they played an extra game and, once again, bonus points came into play and pushed Wests into 2nd.  No hard feelings against them, the competition has very strange and antiquated rules that will hopefully be reviewed out of existence this winter.

So semi-finals were set for last weekend:
Brixton Bulls vs. London Chargers A
Wests Warriors Pounamu vs. South London Silverbacks

Bulls beat Chargers 24-6 (I believe) but the 'Backs and Warriors went to war, as only warriors and, erm, gorillas can.  Silverbacks took an early 12-0 lead but Wests scored 18 unanswered points to drag themselves to sniffing distance of the Grand Final.  Silverbacks broke back with a game-leveller and a tense period was finally broken when the away side scored again to take a 18-24 lead and finally put the exclamation mark with another converted try.   It finished 18-30 to the Silverbacks, setting up an all-South of the River final in North London, at the New River Stadium this coming Saturday.

Great news but did Andy ever turn up? :D

Edited by Scubby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Great news but did Andy ever turn up? :D

No, he didn't!  :lol::lol:  I think the two people were supposed to turn up from this thread and neither did.

 

59 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Wouldn't it be great if we had development offices in London. It's becoming a hotbed of RL 

We do but they're focused on kids.  Kids rugby doesn't always pay off for open age rugby and when it does, in some cases, it doesn't pay off for many years.  You lose a kid to a Saturday job then maybe uni.  He turns up aged 22 and wants to come or, in some cases, is completely lost to the game because he doesn't know where teams are because the turnover is so high.

I do genuinely believe that it's easily the best region of the UK for RL outside the heartlands though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all,

Our 2018 kit has been ordered.  We will show off our new club sponsor, Archive UK, on the front.  Last season was black, this season we've gone for the other club colours of primarily grey and red.

Open age pre-season starts on 6th February but the Silverbacks Touch sessions are continuing across the winter, run by our head coach Junior Paul.  Masters will be setting their own fixture list across the coming season, probably spreading their wings a little and even hosting a tour side!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The club itself doesn't have a connection to any Rugby Union club, we're completely independent, though we do have players that play both.  However, the chairman and I have done business with Sutton & Epsom through our separate sportswear business.

EDIT: I forgot.  As a bit of PR/outreach at the end of last season, we played in a local 15-a-side short-game union festival.  As it was union season, we were a wee bit short as were Sutton & Epsom so we teamed up to be, for one day only, Sutton & Epsom Silverbacks.  Nice bunch of lads from their 3s/4s and we'd welcome any of them down if they wanted to give League a go.

Edited by bbfaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pre-season news. Training started in February, twice a week. Masters are taking it very seriously this year and have joined in on Wednesdays.

Masters hosted the final date of the Australia Masters tour, which was considered a success all told, despite or maybe because it was played in the snow. The lines were dusted down and it was a spirited contest. We hope they enjoyed the day and the facilities.

Open age get underway this weekend. First pre-season game on Saturday vs. Royal Engineers. Sappers are bringing two sides, Wests Warriors are bring their firsts for the other match. Wests at 1, Silverbacks at 3.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To bring the topic up-to-date, the Open Age started the league season slowly and lost their first game.  They gradually warmed up and won 6 and drew 1 of the remaining 7 and finished league leaders.  Unfortunately, they lost the grand final for the second year in a row to Brixton Bulls, though the score and performance were much better than last year.  I'm claiming the title "minor premiers".

The Masters had a madcap season, touring Carcassonne mid-season and announcing an even-more ambitious tour for 2019; Toronto.  Numbers have remained robust throughout.

On and off since the end of last season, there have been discussions with the London Rugby League Foundation about making sure the facilities at Club Langley could be used by juniors.  There has been movement this season and we're delighted to announce that the parents and players of Croydon Hurricanes will join us for the 2019 season, bringing under-10s and under-13s to the club.  We will also be fielding a ladies team in 2019.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here