Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, bbfaz said:

To bring the topic up-to-date, the Open Age started the league season slowly and lost their first game.  They gradually warmed up and won 6 and drew 1 of the remaining 7 and finished league leaders.  Unfortunately, they lost the grand final for the second year in a row to Brixton Bulls, though the score and performance were much better than last year.  I'm claiming the title "minor premiers".

The Masters had a madcap season, touring Carcassonne mid-season and announcing an even-more ambitious tour for 2019; Toronto.  Numbers have remained robust throughout.

On and off since the end of last season, there have been discussions with the London Rugby League Foundation about making sure the facilities at Club Langley could be used by juniors.  There has been movement this season and we're delighted to announce that the parents and players of Croydon Hurricanes will join us for the 2019 season, bringing under-10s and under-13s to the club.  We will also be fielding a ladies team in 2019.

This sounds like a fantastic season . Lots of teams = lots of volunteers needed . Masters sounds like its worth turning out for if you can raise a jog. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, henage said:

This sounds like a fantastic season . Lots of teams = lots of volunteers needed . Masters sounds like its worth turning out for if you can raise a jog. 

You're probably right, it was a great season.  However, we put pressure on ourselves to achieve, which runs in stark contrast to our desire to have a club for clubmen.  Our selection policy is based on people who pay membership and turn up to training getting preference when it comes to selection.  It's a fine balance but our view is that, commercially, clubs that are set up solely to win will lose on the balance sheet.  The underpinning of this club is a desire to have a club and a lot of hard-work.

We're on a recruitment drive.  We've turned up a new coach to add the the open age setup already.   Our view - especially when it comes to the ladies - is that if you show us commitment, we'll show you commitment.  However, current management is spread thin enough and we rely heavily on technology now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

You're probably right, it was a great season.  However, we put pressure on ourselves to achieve, which runs in stark contrast to our desire to have a club for clubmen.  Our selection policy is based on people who pay membership and turn up to training getting preference when it comes to selection.  It's a fine balance but our view is that, commercially, clubs that are set up solely to win will lose on the balance sheet.  The underpinning of this club is a desire to have a club and a lot of hard-work.

We're on a recruitment drive.  We've turned up a new coach to add the the open age setup already.   Our view - especially when it comes to the ladies - is that if you show us commitment, we'll show you commitment.  However, current management is spread thin enough and we rely heavily on technology now.

Are Brixton the only other ladies team in the south east?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Are Brixton the only other ladies team in the south east?

Right now, yes.  However, say you don't know because Chargers had some ladies a few years ago.  I think if enough clubs how willing and commitment, others will follow.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here