Depression & Professional Sports Stars

Just had this article pop up on my FB feed and thought it as worth discussing here. I have had personal experience with depression, but can only imagine what it is like for some of the stars of our game who are held up as heroes for a decade, only to be quickly forgotten.....so the question is, do sports organisations, not just ours do enough for their elite athletes after they retire and if not, what can they do?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/89619870/Is-the-black-dog-the-elephant-in-the-room-for-rugby-union-and-rugby-league

There are few things I treat entirely seriously and this is one I'll never make light of. Depression is impossible to understand if you've never experiened it yourself. It is certainly difficult as a fan of any sport to comprehend why one of your heroes living your dream could possibly be depressed. It's important that we all recognise that like a lot of terrible illnesses this one has no age, social, creed, class, cultural or gender bias; it's something we can all fall victim to, much more easily than we can ever imagine.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived