Wood & Ganson not square at marker

Anyone doing this should be immediately sinbinned, it's conning the ref, it's cheating the fans and its another step down a path littered with players milking penalties, backchatting ( and worse) refs and needs stopping now.

Bottom line is there is a plethora of rules that need sorting , and some new ones that need introducing 

If I was a coach I would now start having just one player at marker , it would highlight the opposition markers not being square , if the 2 nd marker is truly ' square ' and in line , he cannot see the PTB anyway so would be far too slow to actually make a tackle on any runner 

On drop outs , any player kicking,throwing or just generally ' hiding ' the ball to give their team extra time to rest should result in a penalty to the attacking team 10 yards out , also a 30 second limit on actually taking the kick , too slow and a penalty again 

I generally agree with the various comments but one thing that always seems odd to me is when the defending player lies flat out so as I guess to be seen not interfering and the attacking player having to step over him... to get to the ball... happens quite a lot yet the defending team is never punished.... but it does slow down the PTB for the attacking team and causes that attacking player not able to be steady on his feet upon retrieving the ball.    I have even seen the player knock-on as he had to step over the prone man... 

Having said that its got to be up to the ref... just wish sometimes they would give a penalty more rather than give warning... the penalty will have the maximum effect as it seems sometimes the players just ignore until penalised.

I know we want to minimise penalties but sometimes it is the only way to cause teams to change behaviour over the season.

On the holding the ball in the scrum, why can't the ref give the penalty for crocked input whenever it happens.... that is if the team is going to be pedantic then the ref is pedantic with the first offence...

I was always under the impression that it was the first offence that counted (not including foul play). Surely the first offence is the forward pass? I'm now starting to question when does a forward pass become a forward pass. I presume it's when the ball leaves the passer's hands?

rldfsignature.jpg

6 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I was always under the impression that it was the first offence that counted (not including foul play). Surely the first offence is the forward pass? I'm now starting to question when does a forward pass become a forward pass. I presume it's when the ball leaves the passer's hands?

The first offence was a forward pass but I would guess that it was very difficult fir the ref to see due to where it happened etc. 

Forward passes around the ruck are usually monitored/ called by the TJs but I don't know where they were at the time of the incident 

Refs need to be allowed to use their judgment, was a player deliberately playing for a penalty, if so then reverse the penalty award. you can't have it both ways, if you want a fast game with a fast PTB then you need to realise that people are going to get caught behind the ruck, if that happens then refs have a judgment call to make.

The one with Brough was so blatant it deserved a sin-bin for a deliberate forward, not playing in the spirit of the game and being a dick-head..

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, LeeF said:

The first offence was a forward pass but I would guess that it was very difficult fir the ref to see due to where it happened etc. 

Forward passes around the ruck are usually monitored/ called by the TJs but I don't know where they were at the time of the incident 

I think this incident should have been picked up. Normal forward passes at least go to the side of a player, Jones threw the ball directly in front, no hint of it going laterally to one of his players

I often ask myself ' where are the touchies ' . Refs get so much stick but it seems at times that they're on their own . At times in the mic you can hear refs voice their own exasperation . Touchies are good at saying ' go to the video ref ' though 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I often ask myself ' where are the touchies ' . Refs get so much stick but it seems at times that they're on their own . At times in the mic you can hear refs voice their own exasperation . Touchies are good at saying ' go to the video ref ' though 

They have a very limited view, almost one dimensional. Being on the touchline at ground level is probably the worst view of a game you can have.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

54 minutes ago, Padge said:

They have a very limited view, almost one dimensional. Being on the touchline at ground level is probably the worst view of a game you can have.

Not for forward passes at the ruck or late hits in kickers or touch line calls. All subject to being in the correct position 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

I think this incident should have been picked up. Normal forward passes at least go to the side of a player, Jones threw the ball directly in front, no hint of it going laterally to one of his players

It actually didn't go as far forward as is being made out and the ref will have had a very poor view of the incident in all likelihood 

17 minutes ago, LeeF said:

It actually didn't go as far forward as is being made out and the ref will have had a very poor view of the incident in all likelihood 

The officials saw enough to give the penalty to Salford. 

Given the original defence of Ganson of Child I'm assuming they saw everything but ignored the forward pass in favour of the offside of Brough - probably following guidelines set out to them - which appear now to have changed 

27 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The officials saw enough to give the penalty to Salford. 

Given the original defence of Ganson of Child I'm assuming they saw everything but ignored the forward pass in favour of the offside of Brough - probably following guidelines set out to them - which appear now to have changed 

It's easier to see the offside than the forward pass

Anyway let's wait for the next meltdown on a 50/50 call on offside/ interference / passing to an opponent 

8 minutes ago, LeeF said:

It's easier to see the offside than the forward pass

Anyway let's wait for the next meltdown on a 50/50 call on offside/ interference / passing to an opponent 

In normal play I'd agree with you. Judging a forward pass is difficult as the match official, and the two players in question would be moving which always skews things

This incident is different both players were stationary and it was quite clear that Brough was in front of Jones. Like I previously said the officials have probably followed whatever guidelines are in place, thankfully the RFL have highlighted where sometimes these guidelines can be abused, if this happens again I hope the penalty goes the other way 

Archived