Hornets v Halifax

Tyrone Shoelaces

6-20 loss!  Appears to have been a nightmare afternoon for Hornets, including 2 sin-binnings, the wrong side of too many penalties and errors by the bucketful.

I guess the normal "48 hour" reflection rule will seem like a week at least!  It was never going to be easy, but hopefully, a wake-up call to life in the Championship and the experience of the established teams.   It certainly will not get any easier next week at Fev, who put 30 on Swinton away from home.  Fortunately, few wins by the teams around us.

Onwards Hornets.

Not a good afternoon. We were outplayed in most departments and Halifax deserved their win. We made too many mistakes and their defence was excellent. As for the penalties I would like to have seen the same rules applied to both sides. One of the poorest refereeing performances  that I've seen in over 60 years. Luckily it didn't affect the result as we would have lost with a proper referee.

I think you're being harsh there Pedro. The game was pretty even whilst it was 13 v 13. The main difference was Scott Murrell's kicking game. I said at halftime we hadn't played anything like our best and we were only 8-6 down. We were bound to play better second half - but we didn't

Second half we just carried on in the same fashion. Best summed up when we finally got a scrum in our half after not having the ball for a fair old while only to run the ball out of play out wide on the first tackle !

Halifax did defend well but so did we. They only scored 1 try in the ten minutes it was 13 v 11.

As for the referee- I've been watching Rugby League and Hornets for 50 years and I've never seen a performance like that by a referee in any game. He was so one eyed it was unbelievable. Halifax commit two high tackle - nothing happens. We commit two and our guy goes off for 10 minutes.

30 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think you're being harsh there Pedro.

Perhaps a little but we didn't seem to create much. In my opinion we were not as sharp as in the first three games but we will come back.

I would have gone for goal when we got  a couple of penalties with the scores close. I wonder what other people think.

Just now, Pedro said:

Perhaps a little but we didn't seem to create much. In my opinion we were not as sharp as in the first three games but we will come back.

I would have gone for goal when we got  a couple of penalties with the scores close. I wonder what other people think.

Totally inexplicable. I don't what we were thinking of. Halifax kicked for goal immediately when we were down to12 men and it wasn't an easy kick.

38 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Quite true,we,could have kicked a pen and gone in front.They did and stayed there.The only time we went ahead was at the start.When things go wrong tighten up don't turn your nose up at 2 pts.

Don't understand why we did not take the two when on offer, don't understand why when a Fax player commits a shoulder charge Fax get the penalty, Don't understand what we were trying to achieve yesterday, it certainly didn't look like we were trying to win. Were we over confident? We fell off tackles and kicked grubbers with no chasers, it was very poor.

I never ever criticise referees, and I'm not changing the habit of a lifetime for that pr*ck

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

Archived