Best game

Flat cap John

The one that sticks out in my mind was a game at home V Hull KR. It wasnt the best game but it was very emotional. It could have been a Regal Trophy game. Vince Farrar was sent off when Fev trailed 19-4 in the first half. Incredibly Fev staged a remarkable come back and with the seconds ticking away Fev trailed 23-24 and Hull KR had two sent off in the closing seconds. Then I believe from a penalty on the touchline at the bullock side at the railway end Jeff Townend booted a gigantic goal to give Rovers a 25-24 victory. I actually saw people crying with delight.

46 minutes ago, Phil Loxton said:

The one that sticks out in my mind was a game at home V Hull KR. It wasnt the best game but it was very emotional. It could have been a Regal Trophy game. Vince Farrar was sent off when Fev trailed 19-4 in the first half. Incredibly Fev staged a remarkable come back and with the seconds ticking away Fev trailed 23-24 and Hull KR had two sent off in the closing seconds. Then I believe from a penalty on the touchline at the bullock side at the railway end Jeff Townend booted a gigantic goal to give Rovers a 25-24 victory. I actually saw people crying with delight.

Yep...have mentioned that game on more than one occasion on this forum I think. From memory I think the late great Clive Sullivan was one of the men sent off and I remember feeling really bad even though it helped us, it was an instinctive high tackle and he was one of the least dirty players you'd ever see.

That said, the Will Sharp/Ainscough incident against Batley the year before last was probably even more unlikely, especially given that was the fourth try we had scored in the last 8 minutes or so. But that was more of a shake-your-head-and-laugh game...we hadn't really played very well.

The best performance I have ever seen by a Fev team was in the Challenge Cup against Leeds...1976 I think...beat them 33-7 or something like that at POR.

Wakefield away 1962 score 27-27, Australia 1959 score 23-15 and 1963 score 23-17. All great games. Obviously Wembley holds great memories too.

Fartown cup semi-final 1967. Dooler's try is still etched in my memory in slow motion, he mesmerised the Leeds defence like a snake charmer. 

14 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yep...have mentioned that game on more than one occasion on this forum I think. From memory I think the late great Clive Sullivan was one of the men sent off and I remember feeling really bad even though it helped us, it was an instinctive high tackle and he was one of the least dirty players you'd ever see.

That said, the Will Sharp/Ainscough incident against Batley the year before last was probably even more unlikely, especially given that was the fourth try we had scored in the last 8 minutes or so. But that was more of a shake-your-head-and-laugh game...we hadn't really played very well.

The best performance I have ever seen by a Fev team was in the Challenge Cup against Leeds...1976 I think...beat them 33-7 or something like that at POR.

Agree I was there under the sticks but I think it was 33. 3 the ref was Fred Lindop and he was laughing his head off every time Fev scored a try (wouldnt be allowed nowadays). Also another game more recently comes to mind when we played Doncaster at home and were losing heavily at half time and it looked enevitable that we would lose but we did a remarkable comeback and scored about 6 tries in the second half to pip them.

Im not going to lie, my best Fev game is our Grand Final. I still watch it and cant quite figure out how we managed to win. I will say though the early season game at the Shay a few years back was superb even if you did pip us in the last minute.

I can easily forget a lot of games at Post Office road where Martin Pearson and Francis Maloney ripped us to shreds.

To be honest there is obviously loads of matches that  people believe to be the best but without a doubt I travelled  to wembley in 83 thinking we were going to lose and apart from marriage having kids and grand kids my best feeling was the emotion after the final after seeing David Hobbs scoring and Tex housting the cup .What a match!

Best game in terms of beating a fancied opposition with sheer brilliance was Leeds in 1976 CC 3rd round. Something like 33-7 v Leeds at PR. Fev had already beaten a fancied Wakey and HKR at PR in the run. Fev were irresistible that day, the crowd chanting 'easy' to the Leeds following after 20 mins that day.

Beating C*s at Headingley in 1973 cup semi was brilliant . i'd love t see that game again on DVD. I think we won 17-7 but I'll always remember that Steve Nash try because he scored it right in front of me!

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

Gingdong aye we did take a good following, we filled the stand behind the sticks, coppers were being coppers although at least one wasn't as vigilant as he should have been. It was the time wearing pit helmets and steelies all painted blue and white was the fashion, the atmosphere and noise was unbelievable, being under cover made the place bounce. This was the time of gangs throwing bricks and bottles at buses as they left the ground or car parks, although Fev had a noteriety for being an unpleasant place to visit. I don't know whether it's fortunate or unfortunately we wont see an era like that, for all the ###### you had to endure they were good times to support Fev.

23 hours ago, knottla said:

Gingdong aye we did take a good following, we filled the stand behind the sticks, coppers were being coppers although at least one wasn't as vigilant as he should have been. It was the time wearing pit helmets and steelies all painted blue and white was the fashion, the atmosphere and noise was unbelievable, being under cover made the place bounce. This was the time of gangs throwing bricks and bottles at buses as they left the ground or car parks, although Fev had a noteriety for being an unpleasant place to visit. I don't know whether it's fortunate or unfortunately we wont see an era like that, for all the ###### you had to endure they were good times to support Fev.

wot i wouldnt give to of been at that game, born too late

Archived