Followers 0
Plan of Attack

Guess whos Back

15 posts in this topic

to be fair he's actually one of the better refs these days

4 people like this

Not another 'oh no its Gareth Hewer again' thread....zzzzzzzzzzzz

4 people like this

I'd be more concerned that it is MR C Etchells as a touch judge, not very offten you see him give a decision in the way of barrow no matter how clear it is. i have never found Hewer that bad just always seems to be something for people to moan about when they run out of all the other pointless cries from the stands. 

1 person likes this

I think Gareth Hewer is one of the best refs about at the moment.  I agree with above post about the touch judges lately at craven park.  Some very bad decisions given in our home games.  Some forward pass decisions against us  in recent games have been shocking.  

Are touch judges allowed to call forward passes?

5 hours ago, Dave W said:

Are touch judges allowed to call forward passes?

I think the rule is they can only call "Forward" if the  team passing the ball is wearing a blue shirt.😎

That's a good call Ron  {cover's both hat's eh } lol x

1 person likes this

The reason I ask is because, according to the laws of the game, the poor old touch judge doesn't appear to have an awful lot of power when it comes to what happens on the field of play:

"Enforce Laws 2. The Referees shall enforce the Laws of the Game and may impose penalties for any deliberate breach of the Laws. He shall be the sole judge on matters of fact except those relating to touch and touch in-goal."

"Changing decision 9. The Referee judges on matters of fact and shall not subsequently alter those judgments. He may cancel any decision made if prior foul play of which he had no knowledge is reported to him by a Touch Judge."

"Accept Touch Judge decision 10. The Referee shall accept the decision of an official Touch Judge relating to touch and touch in-goal play and to kicks at goal."

"Touch Judge 11. Each Touch Judge shall remain in touch, one on each
side of, and near to, the playing field except:–

(a) when judging kicks at goal (see Section 6) and

(b) when reporting a player’s misconduct which has escaped the notice of the Referee."

Are forward passes "foul play" ? It doesn't look to me like touch judges can call forward passes, even blatant ones, unless the referee asks them.

I have always noticed that if the ref has a suspicion of a forward pass he has a quick glance at his touch judge to confirm either way. thereby asking him for his opinion.!!

You will see that in most cases the ref will look straight towards the touch judge if he sees an iffy pass for confirmation or otherwise. As regards Barrow not getting the rub of the green on forward passes I have to disagree. I haven't seen one this season when I could categorically say it wasn't forward from where I stand. I have seen some given which have been derided by the popular side which have been in line with me and they were forward no matter how many cries of cheat come from those outside the bar. I have also seen us get away with a few as well.

The officials aren't perfect, but neither is the team so give them a break. As long as they are the same for both sides that is fair enough to me. You can guarantee that if they play a skinny 10 metres that the fans will be shouting offside when Barrow have the ball but obviously they will ignore that when Barrow are defending. 

3 people like this

Well?

Any complaints?

Does anyone know what the penalty count was?

thought he reffed the game brilliantly to be honest

10 hours ago, Bearman said:

Well?

Any complaints?

Does anyone know what the penalty count was?

Penalty count was 11-6