cumbria rl

The RFL web site for Cumbria RL has neither current fixtures nor results;

http://www.rugby-league.com/leagues__competitions/cumbria_rugby_league/results

I emailed the RFL contact shown on the site on Monday but no reply 3 days later.

This seems very unprofessional, particularly at the start of the season.

The game is struggling in Cumbria - Maryport and Gt. Clifton have dropped out of their leagues, Dalton dropped out of Pennine League and Roose could not raise a team last week .  

Surely the RFL should be doing the basics to create awareness through their own web site?  

Cumbria has often felt it is treated as the poor relation by the RFL - is this another example?

The NCL result website has not been updated from the first week of the season, you get fined for not sending or faxing your team sheet in, smacks of double standards, AGAIN, unfortunately possible cuts are hitting the way things are processed at the RFL

Mr Smeaton also made a remark about the NCL website not being kept up to date, on the Conference Lge forum,TheNWML webpage is also not up to date with their match info also ,I presume its a time consuming thing to do and a big commitment every week.

5 hours ago, AL FALL said:

Mr Smeaton also made a remark about the NCL website not being kept up to date, on the Conference Lge forum,TheNWML webpage is also not up to date with their match info also ,I presume its a time consuming thing to do and a big commitment every week.

It worked OK when the leagues ran their own websites, control the media you control the people, simple really.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

There is no staff at the RFL to keep things updated on any websites, they laid them all off and got temps in to do registrations.

If the Football Association get taken to the Houses of Parliment for not being fit for purpose imagine the field day they would have with The RFL?

The Pennine site is always up to date although any changes needed can take a long while to be made.

I think it's a bit unfair to say the RFL have treated Cumbria as the poor relations, but the area definitely needs additional investment if the game is to try and halt what looks to be a terminal decline in fortunes.

The decision by Roose and notably Maryport who have superb off-field facilities not to be able to field teams in this seasons Cumbria Men's League should be ringing alarms bells with the community team at Red Hall.

Clifton were also forced to pull out of the Cumberland League due to lack of numbers, and it seems this could just be the start of the games troubles in Cumbria.

i was told last week that there are only four teams in this seasons under 12s league, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this will have an effect on all other ages to open age in the next few seasons.

The lack of a super league side in the area doesn't help the profile of the sport, but there is a lack of interest in playing the game, which seems worse in Allerdale than Copeland, but there appears to be little to no help in trying to identify what has gone wrong with the sport.

does-the RFL have a development plan for the community game? Or where will the game be in the next five years if numbers continue to decline?

Someone somewhere needs to take the lead and try to tackle this problem head on or it's going to be too late to save what until very recently was a traditional stronghold of the game

56 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Are any of the clubs working with the sky try initiative which has been so successful elsewhere?

Not sure it has, there is a difference between kids waving flags at games and actually getting people playing, Hull and HKR are active promoting the game whether this will increase participation only time will tell. I have said over recent years until the RFL admit publically there is a problem with participation nothing will change if it ever does it could be too late 

1 hour ago, Defender1 said:

Not sure it has, there is a difference between kids waving flags at games and actually getting people playing, Hull and HKR are active promoting the game whether this will increase participation only time will tell. I have said over recent years until the RFL admit publically there is a problem with participation nothing will change if it ever does it could be too late 

You didn't answer the question.

And the RFL have already admitted there is a problem with participation. 

I know a number of areas where sky try is having a positive effect in increasing participation 

11 hours ago, DoubleD said:

You didn't answer the question.

And the RFL have already admitted there is a problem with participation. 

I know a number of areas where sky try is having a positive effect in increasing participation 

I cannot answer for the Cumbrian clubs as to whether they are involved or not

if the RFL are now admitting there is a problem with participation what are they doing about it, I heard the development guy in our area is to be axed.

Correct me if I am wrong but "Sky Try" is where money has been made available to the pro and semi pro clubs to promote RL with a target to get in front of 750,000 people in the next 5 years. There is monitoring this includes, taster days, school work and the flag wavers pre match to gain the RL experience. The issue with the flag wavers at my pro club is they tend to be existing RL players from local clubs and I know of people who have been 3-4 times, so no increase there

24 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

If it is something the local pro clubs are running then that would explain why nobody knows anything about it, as the pro clubs have nothing at all to do with the local amateur sides

As is usually the case, we all have one aim but the RFL, Amateur Clubs, Pro Clubs all seem to pull in different directions, I think recently something big was happening in Lancashire with Pro clubs and promoting the game and the administrators of the local leagues complained they knew nothing about it

2 hours ago, Defender1 said:

I cannot answer for the Cumbrian clubs as to whether they are involved or not

if the RFL are now admitting there is a problem with participation what are they doing about it, I heard the development guy in our area is to be axed.

Correct me if I am wrong but "Sky Try" is where money has been made available to the pro and semi pro clubs to promote RL with a target to get in front of 750,000 people in the next 5 years. There is monitoring this includes, taster days, school work and the flag wavers pre match to gain the RL experience. The issue with the flag wavers at my pro club is they tend to be existing RL players from local clubs and I know of people who have been 3-4 times, so no increase there

The RFL have no money.

The sky try was seeking to fill the void. My understanding was sky try was all about active participation focused on getting people playing the game, first I've heard about flag bearers

all comes back to one thing, and that is the lack of a realistic and sustainable plan to develop the game fit for 21st century needs. 

This needs to include input from all partners within the game from small junior clubs through to the international game.

Its little wonder that Sport England have little confidence in the sport the way its being ran at present, and this has been reflected in the downgrading of funding at each review and I can see this continuing until the game demonstrates it can start to increase participation levels again.

The game badly needs new leadership and to appoint someone who is prepared to invest in the time to listen to local league administrators and clubs to find out what the problems are.

It will take a huge amount of time and effort to collate this information, but you have to start somewhere.

You can't get to a destination if you don't know where it is and as I see it, we don't even have a starting point a present, nevermind a destination

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The RFL have no money.

The sky try was seeking to fill the void. My understanding was sky try was all about active participation focused on getting people playing the game, first I've heard about flag bearers

well if the pro clubs in west cumbria are running this scheme in schools its obviously not working if only 4-5 teams have enterered this year's U12 league, and only one club from Allerdale !!

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

The RFL have no money.

I think the pro clubs are measured on figures, the amount of possible participants they come in contact with, if they fulfill the figure they get money, this is why they are active. As far as I am aware the pre match experience is included in this as part of "Sky Try" or it was when I received the e mails

Local clubs have taken a lead in trying to address the lack of junior games.OK combination of four clubs doesnt look great BUT if it keeps these kids in the game then maybe when they reach senior playing age it will strengthen the clubs future.Back in the late 70's Broughton Moor under 18s had a very good side and despite having no senior team the under 18s were a combination of Ellenboro.Glasson,Maryport.Cockermouth.Broughton Red Rose and Netherhall RU.

Once the guys had reached senior age they went back to their parent club.It worked well and a high number of the "Moor" under 18s went on to sign proffesional.

Joe Stewart,Joe Ashbridge,Ian Thompson,John Ferguson,Steve Pattinson,Ken Sharples to name a few.

Posted on Facebook

"Last Wednesday Glasson Rangers, Maryport Ellenborough and Broughton Red rose got together to look at the issue facing us regarding a drop off in player numbers after Mini mods.
The fact of the matter is that between the 4 clubs we do not have an under 12's and are struggling to put out an under 16's team
Following discussions we have decided to push forward with a collaborative solution as follows:
For this season, as a trial we will run a joint under 16's team and a joint under 14's team, Glasson and broughton will put out a joint under 11's, Maryport will run an under 14's team as well. Both joint teams will run under the banner of West Cumbria Crusaders.
From next season we are aiming to pool our resources to run teams at each age group from 12's to 16's all under the banner of West Cumbria Crusaders with all clubs hoping to benefit at open age level in the long term.
This will be done openly with all players remaining registered with their parent club.
We are doing this because we feel, as a group, that we are losing players from the game and by coming together as a group of like minded individuals we can progress the game as a whole"

Good luck to all involved.

25 minutes ago, yanto said:

Local clubs have taken a lead in trying to address the lack of junior games.OK combination of four clubs doesnt look great BUT if it keeps these kids in the game then maybe when they reach senior playing age it will strengthen the clubs future.Back in the late 70's Broughton Moor under 18s had a very good side and despite having no senior team the under 18s were a combination of Ellenboro.Glasson,Maryport.Cockermouth.Broughton Red Rose and Netherhall RU.

Once the guys had reached senior age they went back to their parent club.It worked well and a high number of the "Moor" under 18s went on to sign proffesional.

Joe Stewart,Joe Ashbridge,Ian Thompson,John Ferguson,Steve Pattinson,Ken Sharples to name a few.

Posted on Facebook

"Last Wednesday Glasson Rangers, Maryport Ellenborough and Broughton Red rose got together to look at the issue facing us regarding a drop off in player numbers after Mini mods.
The fact of the matter is that between the 4 clubs we do not have an under 12's and are struggling to put out an under 16's team
Following discussions we have decided to push forward with a collaborative solution as follows:
For this season, as a trial we will run a joint under 16's team and a joint under 14's team, Glasson and broughton will put out a joint under 11's, Maryport will run an under 14's team as well. Both joint teams will run under the banner of West Cumbria Crusaders.
From next season we are aiming to pool our resources to run teams at each age group from 12's to 16's all under the banner of West Cumbria Crusaders with all clubs hoping to benefit at open age level in the long term.
This will be done openly with all players remaining registered with their parent club.
We are doing this because we feel, as a group, that we are losing players from the game and by coming together as a group of like minded individuals we can progress the game as a whole"

Good luck to all involved.

Great idea, glad to see the clubs working together for the benefit of each of them. I know it will be a few years before it begins to bear fruit at open age level but I genuinely hope this works out well

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

I did a similar thing when I was coaching Hull RU we merged with Beverley at mini and mod, taking turns to host the festivals, playing in each's strips on a rotation basis and it worked for all parties that was at all ages, the players did not always enjoy playing in the others strips but it kept them playing and numbers increased

Archived