Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Number 16

French Magic Weekend

59 posts in this topic

All ten Elite clubs at the Domec in Carcassonne on the last weekend of April. 

I'm tempted to make a weekend of it but would appreciate a bit of feedback from the France-based posters on here; is it going to attract decent numbers, and have the fixtures been announced.

I see that for 30 euros on Saturday night they're doing a three course gala dinner which looks appetising!

magic.jpg

magic food.jpg

3 people like this

The one in Perpignan at the start of this season got 3316 for the first day, rather less for the second. Like our version, not everyone was there for all of the matches, crowd was very sparse for the first game in particular. More than 300 there for the meal.

I don't think the fixtures have been announced. Someone else may know different.

No, I think you are right , JonM.  The French Rugby League official website says the fixtures will be announced before April - so within ten days, I presume.  Meanwhile, the menu for the gala dinner - already announced! - looks good!

I think it's a real shame, they've done an excellent job with the promotion, the posters and videos on social media, but to not have the actual fixtures decided until 10 days before is incredibly amateur and will affect the turnout.  I assume given how late it is in their season, that these will be playoff matches?  Hence why the matches are undecided?

They should just do it Round 1, then people know exactly when their team is playing and can make travel arrangements etc.

3 people like this

Round 1 was magic weekend in Perpignan, no they're league games as the finals date was changed from early May to the 3 June just before Christmas so they need to drag out the season, 

Only in rugby league would the menu for the evening meal be decided upon before the actual days fixture 😦

3 people like this

7 hours ago, Jack Russell said:

Only in rugby league would the menu for the evening meal be decided upon before the actual days fixture 😦

Just French priorities really...

2 people like this

1 minute ago, wackojacko said:

Just French priorities really...

And if we have to chose wine beware because a fierce debate is incoming... will it be red or white? Who will be killed for saying rosé?

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

And if we have to chose wine beware because a fierce debate is incoming... will it be red or white? Who will be killed for saying rosé?

Easy, Argentinian red and South African white :ph34r:

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Easy, Argentinian red and South African white :ph34r:

What... what the hell are you talking about? 

There is only French wine, the rest is fermented grapejuice! :girlwah:

1 person likes this

Well... that's my flights booked. I've decided to give this weekend a try. Flying out Ryanair on Thursday, returning on Sunday - tho' having to leave the final game at half-time. May even book the meal on Saturday!

5 people like this

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Well... that's my flights booked. I've decided to give this weekend a try. Flying out Ryanair on Thursday, returning on Sunday - tho' having to leave the final game at half-time. May even book the meal on Saturday!

I can think of worse ways to spend a weekend!

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Good luck number 16.  I'd love to here your report on the event, perhaps I can convince Mrs mainbrace to go next year.

16 hours ago, themainbrace said:

Good luck number 16.  I'd love to here your report on the event, perhaps I can convince Mrs mainbrace to go next year.

Will do.

Well it now looks like my missus wants to come too. Fortunately, she's into RL, though not sure about five games in two days. Plus she's a veggie so more duck for me!

The grand final day in narbonne will be a great day too with 3 or 4 finals on the same day, it's the 3 June in narbonne, 

also the Wakefield fans who go to the ground early on the 1st April will see a great game between the Catalans reserves and lezignan , the last 3 games have been won by just 2 points! 

1 person likes this

On 22/03/2017 at 10:03 PM, Hvy wg said:

Rose with the meal.  Deux glacons.

Just now, Lowdesert said:

Rose with the meal.  Deux glacons.

How do ya wanna get killed mate? 

2 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

How do ya wanna get killed mate? 

Apres la rose, avant cafe.

I went to the Magic Weekend in Perpignan on the Sunday and it was only by chance I found out it was taking place.  There was no publicity in Perpignan.  I would be interested to know the attendance for Sunday as it looked to me to be extremely low.  Certainly in the 100's.

It was quite a poorly organised event and a real lost opportunity to promote the game and it's clubs.

The first one was a last minute thing and rushed hopefully the second will be better, it's the last game before play offs so maybe a few false games as the table positions may already be decided! 

On 22/03/2017 at 2:32 PM, Jack Russell said:

It is actually the least rugby league thing ever. Of course knowing who is playing when is very important for the rank-and-file fans, but building the event is important too. The catering for many UK RL events would be limited to sending the work experience kid to the corner shop to pick up some tubes of Pringles.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Just Browny said:

It is actually the least rugby league thing ever. Of course knowing who is playing when is very important for the rank-and-file fans, but building the event is important too. The catering for many UK RL events would be limited to sending the work experience kid to the corner shop to pick up some tubes of Pringles.

Not in wigan matey. More like sending the work experience kid to the corner shop to pick up three meat and tatty pies and a stick.......The classic wigan kebab.

an idea for the suggestion box what about a french magic weekend with all the french Elite teams & included Catalans vs Wigan as final game on one day and Toulouse Vs HKR on the other for example. Try and get 20,000+ crowds each day...

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

an idea for the suggestion box what about a french magic weekend with all the french Elite teams & included Catalans vs Wigan as final game on one day and Toulouse Vs HKR on the other for example. Try and get 20,000+ crowds each day...

That sounds pretty darn good to me! Bring together all French RL fans and give a couple of English club's fans the opportunity to join.

I think it's been many decades since any RL fixture in France got a crowd of 20 000.  The magic event in Perpignan mainly attracted the people who were there to see the UTC game. The one in Carcassonne has had more publicity and is obviously a lot closer to the better supported Aude clubs and should feel like more of an event in a smaller stadium. Beautiful place, would be a fantastic weekend away.

I see the FFR XIII is proposing to start the next Elite season in January, after the world cup. Not sure what that is about.