Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yakstorm

Mini-Challenge Cup resurgence?

15 posts in this topic

My view may not be held by others on this board, however to me it feels like 2017 has seen a mini resurgence in interest in the Challenge Cup competition.

From the entry of the Toronto Wolfpack, the impressive performances of Siddal and Haddock, to BBC's live streaming service, I haven't seen so much conversation or articles around the tournament prior to Round Five in years (and most has been positive)

Now whilst there is a combination of novelty factors (Toronto) and some incredible performances from the NCL teams that has made a bit of a perfect storm so far, I do feel some credit needs to go to the RFL and the BBC.

The BBCs Live Streaming service has seen more than 150K watch games so far, whilst the RFL has effectively piggybacked on this coverage, sharing highlights with thousands more and helping tell the back story behind some of these games.

Social conversations have also been up significantly and even this forum has had plenty of threads about the tournament so far.

Whilst of course there is always more that could be done, for a tournament that struggled for much cut through in the opening rounds, I feel credit is due.

Hopefully it continues in the coming rounds and up to the final.

10 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The live streaming by the BBC has been fantastic and Dave Woods has been superb at using the tweets from people interspersed into his commentary. Credit where credit's due a great innovation from the BBC. 

Edited by Padge
9 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Padge said:

The live streaming by the BBC has been fantastic and Dave Woods has been superb at using the tweets from people interspersed into his commentary. Credit where credit's due a great innovation from the BBC. 

Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I mentioned in the other thread a combination of paid live streaming services integrating social media is the way forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I agree, there seems to be a lot more buzz around the opening rounds than usual. I think the BBC live streams have been crucial for this, and they seem to indirectly create interest for the other games in the round. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Padge said:

The live streaming by the BBC has been fantastic and Dave Woods has been superb at using the tweets from people interspersed into his commentary. Credit where credit's due a great innovation from the BBC. 

Agreed, it has been a fantastic innovation. The trouble is that the kind of "laissez faire" approach that Woods has used so far in his commentary won't last once the big boys get involved. Shame really because that's how RL should be commentated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple.

Now that Hull FC have managed to win at Wembley, every man and their dog thinks their club can win it.

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

My view may not be held by others on this board, however to me it feels like 2017 has seen a mini resurgence in interest in the Challenge Cup competition.

From the entry of the Toronto Wolfpack, the impressive performances of Siddal and Haddock, to BBC's live streaming service, I haven't seen so much conversation or articles around the tournament prior to Round Five in years (and most has been positive)

Now whilst there is a combination of novelty factors (Toronto) and some incredible performances from the NCL teams that has made a bit of a perfect storm so far, I do feel some credit needs to go to the RFL and the BBC.

The BBCs Live Streaming service has seen more than 150K watch games so far, whilst the RFL has effectively piggybacked on this coverage, sharing highlights with thousands more and helping tell the back story behind some of these games.

Social conversations have also been up significantly and even this forum has had plenty of threads about the tournament so far.

Whilst of course there is always more that could be done, for a tournament that struggled for much cut through in the opening rounds, I feel credit is due.

Hopefully it continues in the coming rounds and up to the final.

Haddock? is that the new Humberside Champ 1 side?  Something fishy going on !

Edited by Quinskolar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found watching the live stream games has been a revelation. The single camera footage and lack of replays gives a kind of virtual terrace feel to watching. Being able to hear individual loud mouths in the crowd only adds to that feeling. The lack of replays is quite refreshing as focus is always on what is happening on the pitch rather than a forward pass 10 minutes ago. 

Surely similar broadcasts to this could be put on for games below SL. Clubs could even do this themselves and charge fans to watch. Priced right it could really help some clubs increase revenue assuming existing contracts don't prohibit clubs doing so. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

My view may not be held by others on this board, however to me it feels like 2017 has seen a mini resurgence in interest in the Challenge Cup competition.

From the entry of the Toronto Wolfpack, the impressive performances of Siddal and Haddock, to BBC's live streaming service, I haven't seen so much conversation or articles around the tournament prior to Round Five in years (and most has been positive)

Now whilst there is a combination of novelty factors (Toronto) and some incredible performances from the NCL teams that has made a bit of a perfect storm so far, I do feel some credit needs to go to the RFL and the BBC.

The BBCs Live Streaming service has seen more than 150K watch games so far, whilst the RFL has effectively piggybacked on this coverage, sharing highlights with thousands more and helping tell the back story behind some of these games.

Social conversations have also been up significantly and even this forum has had plenty of threads about the tournament so far.

Whilst of course there is always more that could be done, for a tournament that struggled for much cut through in the opening rounds, I feel credit is due.

Hopefully it continues in the coming rounds and up to the final.

Just to point out Haydock aren't in NCL!!!

What an achievment from a regional league!!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, steef said:

I've found watching the live stream games has been a revelation. The single camera footage and lack of replays gives a kind of virtual terrace feel to watching. Being able to hear individual loud mouths in the crowd only adds to that feeling. The lack of replays is quite refreshing as focus is always on what is happening on the pitch rather than a forward pass 10 minutes ago. 

Surely similar broadcasts to this could be put on for games below SL. Clubs could even do this themselves and charge fans to watch. Priced right it could really help some clubs increase revenue assuming existing contracts don't prohibit clubs doing so. 

All golds were doing this using students..

All golds are a breath of fresh air to RL and need supporting to establish RL in the south west!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, steef said:

I've found watching the live stream games has been a revelation. The single camera footage and lack of replays gives a kind of virtual terrace feel to watching. Being able to hear individual loud mouths in the crowd only adds to that feeling. The lack of replays is quite refreshing as focus is always on what is happening on the pitch rather than a forward pass 10 minutes ago. 

Because we're so used to multiple camera angles I thought one camera would be poor but your post exactly sums up how it actually is.

Loved the Oldham fan who shouted "Remember his face!" 😀

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quinskolar said:

Haddock? is that the new Humberside Champ 1 side?  Something fishy going on !

:biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

My view may not be held by others on this board, however to me it feels like 2017 has seen a mini resurgence in interest in the Challenge Cup competition.

From the entry of the Toronto Wolfpack, the impressive performances of Siddal and Haddock, to BBC's live streaming service, I haven't seen so much conversation or articles around the tournament prior to Round Five in years (and most has been positive)

Now whilst there is a combination of novelty factors (Toronto) and some incredible performances from the NCL teams that has made a bit of a perfect storm so far, I do feel some credit needs to go to the RFL and the BBC.

The BBCs Live Streaming service has seen more than 150K watch games so far, whilst the RFL has effectively piggybacked on this coverage, sharing highlights with thousands more and helping tell the back story behind some of these games.

Social conversations have also been up significantly and even this forum has had plenty of threads about the tournament so far.

Whilst of course there is always more that could be done, for a tournament that struggled for much cut through in the opening rounds, I feel credit is due.

Hopefully it continues in the coming rounds and up to the final.

Think you've hit the nail on the head with this post.

I know for me personally the Toronto story has made me take another look at clubs and the sport generally outside the Super League with a lot more interest than I've had for years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, yipyee said:

Just to point out Haydock aren't in NCL!!!

What an achievment from a regional league!!

Really? That's my bad and just makes their performance even more impressive. 

Whilst I didn't get to watch all their clash against Oldham live, to see the replays of the key moments of the game, how excited their fans where when they lead 8 - 0, plus the photos and other insights from their game definitely brought back some of the magic of the cup. I was also impressed with the amount of supporters they had there.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



Pocketmags Digital Magazine Newsstand