Wakefield To Sell Super League Place?

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/wakefield-trinity/exclusive-wakefield-trinity-set-to-sell-place-in-super-league-1-8454230/

The Yorkshire Post understands that Wakefield are considering selling their Super League place and could get £1-2m for it.

Thoughts?

Mine:

Could be a good idea if it helps them sort a ground out and better than waiting to be potentially relegated anyway.

If it does happen I'd like to see a team come in who will be expanding Super League - A team fron Newcastle or Coventry, or even Toronto or Toulouse.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no smoke without fire...

Been hearing a lot about this sort of thing now, with Wakey's name being attached every time. Could be people just putting two and two together, but there's a new version every time. This "selling of a spot" seems a better option than a "relocation." If Wakefield related to Coventry fit example, you'd then have two Coventry clubs and no Wakefield club. This way, you keep the Bears brand and Wakefield.

Would be a shame for it to happen this way, but Belle Vue is a disgrace of a SL ground. If this gets the club some money to secure a new ground and then gain promotion in the future, then it could be a smart move. Long term planning, but the risk is fans abandoning them for the decision (saying that, attendances have dropped considerably since the Battle of Belle Vue game in 2006 saw a resurgence).

Question is, if this happens: who would you prefer to buy their spot?...

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

41 minutes ago, kapow said:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/wakefield-trinity/exclusive-wakefield-trinity-set-to-sell-place-in-super-league-1-8454230/

The Yorkshire Post understands that Wakefield are considering selling their Super League place and could get £1-2m for it.

Thoughts?

Mine:

Could be a good idea if it helps them sort a ground out and better than waiting to be potentially relegated anyway.

If it does happen I'd like to see a team come in who will be expanding Super League - A team fron Newcastle or Coventry, or even Toronto or Toulouse.

As it stands they won't be able to sell it to anyone. Superleague clubs will have to approve the sale, so it depends on who Superleague clubs have their eyes on if anyone. The best bets may well be Newcastle. Another good bet could be (although the timing is not good) Bradford as which SL club doesn't want them back on the fixture list.

1 minute ago, The Parksider said:

As it stands they won't be able to sell it to anyone. Superleague clubs will have to approve the sale, so it depends on who Superleague clubs have their eyes on if anyone. The best bets may well be Newcastle. Another good bet could be (although the timing is not good) Bradford as which SL club doesn't want them back on the fixture list.

I'm a Bradford fan and I don't want it to be us. I doubt we have the money.

13 minutes ago, kapow said:

I'm a Bradford fan and I don't want it to be us. I doubt we have the money.

Well I can't see anyone wanting to go head to head with Wasps.

But it's not about Bradford not having the money, it's about potential buyers having the money combined with a guarantee of new stadium courtesy of Bradford council.

Remember nobody would touch the bulls in Odsal, in a new stadium they will be a most desirable purchase for anyone still interested in owning an SL club.

The RFL: suddenly saying SL places can be sold smacks of both them and the SL having something up their sleeve. Mr. Draper should know....

39 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Know we don't have the money maybe? 

It's quite clear Bradford don't have the money but this move opens up a very rich person who does as long as they are not saddled with Odsal.

Maybe it is Toronto I'll put that as 10000/1, Bulls 1/2, Toulouse 20/1 Newcaste 20/1, Coventry non runner.........

A comeback for Mr. Green perhaps??

11 minutes ago, The Daddy_merged said:

Will be interesting to see how this develops. My bet is a league position swap with Newcastle Thunder. 

The RFL/SL are maybe not consistently returning to St.James Park just for a jolly on the toon. maybe there's nowhere else to go

However the very very rich man who came out at Newcastle and declared destination Superleague appears not to have been investing this last 3 years..

Ninth in CC1 is hardly "ambition". Kurdi has had three years to do something and last year Thunder didn't even make the cut in CC1.

£1 - 2 million.  What is that going to buy?

None starter at that price.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

3 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

£1 - 2 million.  What is that going to buy?

None starter at that price.

Wont buy them zip !

Wire were just about the cheapest when they built their Ikea Flat pack stadium for around £12M (though they've since expanded and filled in some of the corners). Saints spent around £25M on theirs and I believe Cas are spending around £15M.

If Wakey sell out then that's them pretty much done & dusted as a SL for many years to come unless a rich new owner steps in.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Complete rubbish. It makes no sense. If it was a three year licence then it would be more believable but there is a high probability that Trinity won't be in SL next season to sell their spot? 

Also there are only two shareholder who I am aware of and one of them is Carter. 

Still £20m and whoever wants it can take over tonight for me. 

What "franchise" do they have to sell?.. thought franchises went out a while back.

if teams can buy and sell they're way into / out of SL, what's the point of P+R?

story sounds a bit silly to me.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

7 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

What "franchise" do they have to sell?.. thought franchises went out a while back.

if teams can buy and sell they're way into / out of SL, what's the point of P+R?

story sounds a bit silly to me.

I hope it's true though 

I expect Hull KR to get promoted this season so realistically the only clubs that I would think that would be interested would be Toronto and Toulouse, but as already pointed out they probably won't be allowed to sell it, but you can just imagine Fatty Schofields  reaction if a team from outside the UK took up the offer.

i dont see how this can be done as currently every team who wants promotion has to go through championship 1.. then the championship.. then super league. IF Super league was still operating under licensing then Wakefield with RFL approval could sell license to another entity that meets super league standards.. but that is not the case currently

Mumby, Re the deafening silence coming out of Odsal at the moment my guess is that something is definitely brewing with the R.F.L. possibly,the new owners of the Bulls also.Who knows,watch this space.As Wakey have already decided they will not be at their own ground next season,probably a ground share in the offing with the R.F.L. overseeing the whole scenario.I have a strong feeling that maybe big decisions are going to be made at R.F.L..

20 minutes ago, The Daddy_merged said:

Michael Carter has just been on Yorkshire Radio to say that the rumours are a load of rubbish.  

Confirmation of sale announcement is imminent then ;)

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

33 minutes ago, The Daddy_merged said:

Michael Carter has just been on Yorkshire Radio to say that the rumours are a load of rubbish.  

You really needed that to realise this was a none story from the off. Still the YP revenue will have taken a nice boost this morning. 

For the people saying this is impossible as the club has no franchise to sell, I dug out this article from a couple of weeks ago. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/06/super-league-clubs-could-relocate-south-or-abroad?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

id say that definitely leaves the door open.  The old club "sell up" to somewhere in Newcastle or Toulouse or who ever then start a new "local" club in the old area. I remember thinking at the time that article must be leading to something. 

This is impossible. Super League places IMO have no actual value in a competition with P&R. If you had a 3-year or 5-year licence to sell them maybe. What if Wakefield sold its place in SL to Newcastle and then proceeded to lose the £1m game? Bonkers bonkers bonkers. If they cannot meet SL standards then put them on warning of enforced relegation until they buck their ideas up - end of.

Archived