Sign in to follow this  
SJD

Raiders v Hemel

SJD    137

I got up this morning, turned on my computer and expected to see a huge number of people rejoicing in an outstanding and dominant performance.  For those who didn't turn up last night, and yet again there was too many we won by 82- 0, yes that's correct 82 - 0 including a number of special tries.

Stand out performances from Declan Hulme, Dalimore and the wrecking ball that is Brad Brennan, fully supported by the pack. Pleasing to see was the efforts of young Johnston, he is a gem and if he carries on developing the way he is I suspect he will be scouted by many other clubs.

There were two disappointments, Carter took a knock for which he had to be taken to hospital, fingers crossed he is OK, and again a poor attendance, it looked like the worst for some time, perhaps someone can give the exact figure  I've said it before but I firmly believe this is a direct result of Saturday evening games.

I think we should mention the Hemel team who, despite being hammered gave it their best until the very end, and didn't resort to dirty tactics, well done Hemel. 

Edited by SJD
Typo
  • Like 1

Shipbuilder    30

Fully agree, all credit to Hemel, they were close a try on a few occasions and never resorted to dirty play. They tried to slow the rucks down in the second half and were penalised. I watch this tactic each week in Superleague and see less punishment. Last night was not a walk on the park, Barrow played very well, power in the forwards and pace in the backs with Dalimore linking the two.

Where was the crowd this game deserved?

• Like 2

The Vet    67

Regarding the crowd someone questioned on the raiders Facebook page why the attendances arnt great last week, there are obviously reasons why people can't go and whether they play Saturday nights or Sundays it isn't going to suit everyone but yesterday (correct me if I'm wrong),  bar 1 club every other amateur club who play national league, Cumbria league or north west counties were away from home so wouldn't get to watch, I'm not saying it would change attendances much but a lot of 'genuine' supporters/players are lost because of this,myself personally havnt got a season ticket because of this reason, good result by the way!!

red square    28

There was no sport of note on television, the soccer weren't at home, it was a dry evening and yet we didn't get near 1,000. I don't think it is the Saturday evening but rather the opposition. (although the Saturday night games means the club has lost 2 of its regular box sponsors) Without demeaning their efforts Hemel are not good box office. 

Bearing in mind the diminishing readership of our local paper is enough word getting out to the public that there is a game on?

Posters in the usual spots are not read as they become part of the furniture - do we need a different marketing strategy? The chaotic nature of the fixture schedule does not help but that doesn't seem to concern those in power at the RFL. Watching sport can be a habit, the haphazard way our games are played does not assist in encouraging people into the ground i.e. the rugby were away last week so they'll be at home this week scenario. It is not the keen fan that needs targeting but the casual fan. 

• Like 1

i am a season ticket holder but the the problem is would people pay £15 to watch a miss match and watch a team putting over 50 points into teams every home game. don't get me wrong its brilliant they are winning and hopefully they can get automatic promotion 

apart from workington i would be disappointed if they didn't win every home game in a canter but is it value for money ?  

• Like 1

750VFR    11
45 minutes ago, beckside raider said:

i am a season ticket holder but the the problem is would people pay £15 to watch a miss match and watch a team putting over 50 points into teams every home game. don't get me wrong its brilliant they are winning and hopefully they can get automatic promotion 

apart from workington i would be disappointed if they didn't win every home game in a canter but is it value for money ?  

I'm with you on this. I thought long and hard about a season ticket because last year it was an embarrassment to watch some games, though I have full respect for players in some of the lower teams, full credit to the (then) Scorpions who might not have had a win.

Didn't go last night for that reason, and didn't go last time because of the weather. It costs me about £14 in diesel to go to games as well so quite a financial commitment.

BUT it's not about this season, it about the future of the Raiders so I bought my ST, I know I won't get to all the games but the Club has my money anyway.

Hope to be there next Sunday and that the Lindal chicane is no more. Strange thing is, in 20 years driving to games I've only encountered flood water twice.

Top of the League can't be bad, well done all at the Raiders.

alba    72

It will be interesting next sunday, to see what the crowd is, I think raiders are suffering from a mixed up fixture system, as for the game I think our centres were both powerful, and fast, Declan timed his runs to perfection, and once again the forwards never took a backward step. April will be much more competitive, can't wait.

scrumhalf    30

looking at the score hemel are at a lower amateur level and couldn't compete with the conference teams so no wonder the gate is down we need to get out of this league asap

• Like 2

rooster2003    37

Great lads are winning 82-0 but come on, no entertainment in this tin pot league, Scrumhalf is right, get out asap.

Even Holty could still play in this league! ;)

• Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 9:30 PM, scrumhalf said:

looking at the score hemel are at a lower amateur level and couldn't compete with the conference teams so no wonder the gate is down we need to get out of this league asap

It would be great to get out of this league and we are doing everything we can with what we have got but when the fans pick and choose what games they come to, it really does make it harder for us.

Unfortunately the club can't pick and choose who we play. 

• Like 4

lifer    73

We Need every home supporter we can get to come to the "less attractive" games to add much needed funds to the clubs coffers as the away support is minimal, we can't have a sustained push for promotion without decent gate receipts, so I suggest we all think about that or we could end up playing the "less attractive " teams for the foreseeable future .

morty    216

some people are very short sighted lifer ... I personally don't get the mentality of 'im not going to watch the Raiders against (*insert name of opposition) as they are a less attractive team !!

If I'm not doing anything important with the family or they don't mind me going to the game and I can afford it etc, I would rather go to watch a live game of RL at Craven Park, whoever they are playing, than for example, sit at home in front of the TV  !!

The only way we can sustain a solid promotion push is with the support of the paying public so common get to the games or stop whinging about getting out of this league. You are either a supporter or not !!

Edited by morty
  • Like 4

Penno    26

I seem to find Saturday nights harder to make than the Sunday afternoons, not sure why but last week it was a 50th party. May be I don't do anything Sunday afternoon because I used to go to the rugby? Like I say not exactly sure why but I am busier with non rugby stuff on Saturday nights. Hopefully the bar takings are making up for lower attendances which I believe was the idea behind playing Saturday (or have I got that wrong?)

Regards Penno